The closure of Liam Ruiseal independent bookshop in Cork

nationalsday

This is an unfortunate loss to this city as it is Cork's oldest independent bookshop, having been founded a century ago and situate at the same shop premises at Oliver Plunkett Street throughout that time. It was always a great place for out of town visitors to browse and it contained a large collection of Irish Interest books, together with academic books. Customers could often count upon finding editions which had long gone out of print.

It's closure is probably the equivalent to Cork as was the closure of Greene's bookshop to Dublin and the physical closure of Kenny's to Galway.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/iconic-bookshop-to-shut-after-100-years-in-business-466766.html

P.S. - can someone stick a "h" into "booksop" in the title for me, please!!

Last edited:

ruserious

It was the only business I knew that opted for the Irish abbreviation for Ltd over the door; TEO.

Bookshops are a bit like the canary in the technological mine.

Last edited:

Mushroom

You can do it yourself if you first select "edit post", then select the "go advanced" option whereupon you should be able to go into the title and edit it.

Johnny Zordan

Are vibes and scribes still around ? I had a bad experience with rude staff in vibes and scribes when I lived in cork back in 99

Schmetterling

I was really sad to hear this news. I was in there before Christmas, bought a couple of books and some lovely Christmas cards as Gaeilge although I didn't use it as much as I could have so I suppose that means I share some blame - the usual you don't know what you have til it's gone kind of thing. Having said that I wasn't so fond of the place when I was queuing for school books every summer!

Schmetterling

Are vibes and scribes still around ? I had a bad experience with rude staff in vibes and scribes when I lived in cork back in 99
They are, they have a big premises on Lavitt's Quay, new books in one part and second-hand in the other. I like the second-hand section but now that I think about it the staff aren't particularly friendly or helpful though I've never had what you'd call a bad experience.

cricket

This is an unfortunate loss to this city as it is Cork's oldest independent bookshop, having been founded a century ago and situate at the same shop premises at Oliver Plunkett Street throughout that time. It was always a great place for out of town visitors to browse and it contained a large collection of Irish Interest books, together with academic books. Customers could often count upon finding editions which had long gone out of print.

It's closure is probably the equivalent to Cork as was the closure of Greene's bookshop to Dublin and the physical closure of Kenny's to Galway.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/iconic-bookshop-to-shut-after-100-years-in-business-466766.html

Think it actually started in the Grand Parade.
Huge loss, though. I've used them far more than any other bookshop. The staff there really know their business and have always been very helpful.

gooner

You're probably referring to the one at the bottom of Patricks Hill. Is that still there?

I go to the other one on the road towards the Gate Cinema as you pass the Opera House. Somewhere around there. I was in there last about a year ago. I often went in there in the past and gave them books that I no longer needed or wanted.

Regarding Liam Ruiseal, I was only in there a couple of days before they announced that it would close. Last book I bought in there was Dev's one by David McCullagh just before Christmas. Of course back in my school days it was always the place to go to get past Junior and Leaving Cert papers.

Big loss to the area.

cricket

You're probably referring to the one at the bottom of Patricks Hill. Is that still there?

I go to the other one on the road towards the Gate Cinema as you pass the Opera House. Somewhere around there. I was in there last about a year ago. I often went in there in the past and gave them books that I no longer needed or wanted.

Regarding Liam Ruiseal, I was only in there a couple of days before they announced that it would close. Last book I bought in there was Dev's one by David McCullagh just before Christmas. Of course back in my school days it was always the place to go to get past Junior and Leaving Cert papers.

Big loss to the area.
Both branches of V and S still operating, but the one in Bridge street also has a section dealing with arts and things like knitting, etc.

DeBanksofDeLee

It's a huge loss in terms of character charm and part of the city landscape for so long. I must admit I haven't been in years I got the odd book there. But most Corkonians will remember Liam Russell for school books though, the memories or late August queuing for some or other books I didn't want to be buying the terror of returning to school. So Liam Russell actually gives me mixed memories. NO but seriously it always a shame when the small business loses out to the MAN.

SEAMAI

It's a pity to see Liam Ruiseal's close, like other posters said, great for Irish interest books but perhaps not the friendliest staff, the owner always had a scowl on her puss. I never had any issues with Vibes & Scribes, plenty of off beat treasures and some good bargains to be had there. Being a condescending as*hole seems to be a prerequisite for working in Waterstones.

Given the uphill battle with online companies you'd think they'd at least try to provide a more welcoming environment.

Last edited:

cricket

It's a pity to see Liam Ruiseal's close, like other posters said, great for Irish interest books but perhaps not the friendliest staff, the owner always had a scowl on her puss. I never had any issues with Vibes & Scribes, plenty of off beat treasures and some good bargains to be had there. Being a condescending as*hole seems to be a prerequisite for working in Waterstones.

Given the uphill battle with online companies you'd think they'd at least try to provide a more welcoming environment.
Couldn't agree with your verdict on Liam Russell's. Have been shopping there since my schooldays, my experience has been the exact opposite. Staff there, including the family owners, are always courteous and extremely helpful if you're not quite sure of what you want, such as buying for kiddies/teens, etc.

flavirostris

That's very sad. I've often passed that bookshop on Oliver Plunkett St.

SEAMAI

Couldn't agree with your verdict on Liam Russell's. Have been shopping there since my schooldays, my experience has been the exact opposite. Staff there, including the family owners, are always courteous and extremely helpful if you're not quite sure of what you want, such as buying for kiddies/teens, etc.
Well as someone who spent quite a bit of my hard earned cash in Liam Ruiseal's over the years I never found the current owner particularly friendly. I supported it because I wanted my money to stay in Cork but never felt like a regular customer in spite of the fact that I had been buying a couple of books a month for over 25 years there.
Would the odd smile, some eye contact or a bit of small talk about the weather have been to much to ask for? I'm not saying they were overtly rude, just not friendly.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies