"The Committee"

CanadianObserver

Dia duit,

First post... I keep ending up back here whenever I search for something related to Irish politics, so I figured I'd join.

My question is this: I came across the book, "The Committee" by Sean McPhilemy, the other day in a second-hand bookstore. Knowing that the television special that went with it caused a massive uproar, is it worth reading?

Molly Malone

It depends what you want to find. The publishers were sued out of existence. But given that Sinn Fein and the IRA were both run by MI5 as were the UVF etc, the thesis is interesting, if unsustainable. s

Fiona_L

Website
sinnfeiner.blogspot.com
I wouldn't pay much mind to Molly Malone here - I strongly suspect this person has many trolling identities and hasn't much of a clue.

The Committee is a worthwhile read, in my opinion, if you are genuinely interested in that sort of thing. It's rather disturbing though.

Molly Malone

Fiona: what is your problem, aside from your partisan and sectarian politics? The allegations against Trimble did not stand up in court so "the thesis is interesting, if unsustainable.
Given the roles Mark Haddock, Sean O'Callaghan, Stakenife, The Jackal etc played in The Troubles and in the counter gangs I mentioned, it seems I have a big of a clue after all. The Committee destroyed the company that published it as they got sued. On the bright side, the same company issues Grizzly's tripe in the US so Americans will get less of his writings in the future.

bobbysands81

Molly Malone said:
Fiona: what is your problem, aside from your partisan and sectarian politics?
Oh goody! I'm now looking forward to a nice impartial unbiased post...

Molly Malone said:
The allegations against Trimble did not stand up in court so "the theiss is interesting, in unsustainable.
Given the roles Mark Haddock, Sean O'Callaghan, Stakenife, The Jackal etc played in The Troubles and in the counter ganges I mentioned, it seems I have a big of a clue after all. THe Committee destroyed the ocompany that published it as they got sued. On the bright side, the same company issues Grizzly's tripe in the US so Americans will get less of his writings in the future.
Kettle... Pot... Black.

HP

Molly Malone said:
Fiona: what is your problem, aside from your partisan and sectarian politics? The allegations against Trimble did not stand up in court so "the thesis is interesting, if unsustainable.
Given the roles Mark Haddock, Sean O'Callaghan, Stakenife, The Jackal etc played in The Troubles and in the counter gangs I mentioned, it seems I have a big of a clue after all. The Committee destroyed the company that published it as they got sued. On the bright side, the same company issues Grizzly's tripe in the US so Americans will get less of his writings in the future.
Talk about shooting yourself in the foot....

The Hallion

The Committee was a very good peace of investigative journalism. Obviously they were never going to get a fair hearing in a British court at the time but recent police ombudsman findings and political developments have added credence to the claims. In these days of UUP/UVF overt alliance it is more easy to believe that a covert alliance has always been in existance. Taylor, Trimble and McCrae have all been members of the UVF, not necessarily at operational level but members nonetheless.

meriwether

Taylor, Trimble and McCrae have all been members of the UVF, not necessarily at operational level but members nonetheless.
Is this actually true?
Source/link?

Molly Malone

Bobby Sands: You have named yourself after a long dead sectarian killer so please take that into account when discussing impartiality. To repeat, the allegations fell down and the UVF/IRA have proved to be riddled with informers and double agents. Stakeknife and Denis Donaldson were bosom buddies of Grizzly Adams, so let's look at collusion there. And, as Denis Donaldson had his arms around Bobby Sands in the famous picture, where does that put your icon? Did Sands and his biatch have a Long Kesh tiff that set one off to suicide and the other to roger the wives of the "POWs".
The Provos fight the law and the law won. If Bobby Sands was alive today, he would be volunteering his services to keep Ulster British, just like Denis would if he were still alive.

bobbysands81

Molly Malone said:
Bobby Sands: You have named yourself after a long dead sectarian killer so please take that into account when discussing impartiality. To repeat, the allegations fell down and the UVF/IRA have proved to be riddled with informers and double agents. Stakeknife and Denis Donaldson were bosom buddies of Grizzly Adams, so let's look at collusion there. And, as Denis Donaldson had his arms around Bobby Sands in the famous picture, where does that put your icon? Did Sands and his biatch have a Long Kesh tiff that set one off to suicide and the other to roger the wives of the "POWs".
The Provos fight the law and the law won. If Bobby Sands was alive today, he would be volunteering his services to keep Ulster British, just like Denis would if he were still alive.
How old are you?

Bobby Sands a sectarian killer? Back it up or retract that claim.

Actually with posts like this I'm surprised you're allowed on this site:

Molly Malone said:
Eamonn McCann says they spent most of the time in the GPO saying the Rosary. I wonder how many priests at that time used to f-uck the prettier altar boys. And if priests and teachers would do it......... It is amazing how defenders of sectarian attacks, drug running, bank robbing etc still want to believe the 1916 chappies were pristine. Pearse and Houston set up Na Fianna and Baden Powell liked naked boys.

Fiona aka Sherlock: I signed up as I am interested in the topic and I provided the Wiki"pedo" reference for you to edit. But you cannot as you are a closet supporter of the rough n tumble tactics of Gerry, of the sowrd, the kniuife fight and not the pen. Following the failure of the 1916 Rebellion, Pearse and the others were lionised. Now, as history is being rewritten to suit today's Gay Zeitgeist, your only response is that it is a big conspiracy by me and non SF/SS spammers. I found Merel Haggard and a few other terrorist sympathisers to be some way informed. But I don't really care.

I look forward to reading Wikipedi'a articles on Rogering and Pearsing soon to see your edits.

Keep the faith. And don't bend down in the shower.

The Hallion

meriwether said:
Taylor, Trimble and McCrae have all been members of the UVF, not necessarily at operational level but members nonetheless.
Is this actually true?
Source/link?
It's one of those common knowledge things, McCrae was mid-Ulster Brigade UVF no question about it. Taylor and Trimble were involved as well, even Reg Empey is a former member of Vanguard. The truth might come out evenually but the duality between Loyalist violence and Loyalist politics is nothing new; it's tradition after all, dating back to the days of the plantation bawns.

meriwether

The Hallion said:
meriwether said:
Is this actually true?
Source/link?
It's one of those common knowledge things, McCrae was mid-Ulster Brigade UVF no question about it. Taylor and Trimble were involved as well, even Reg Empey is a former member of Vanguard. The truth might come out evenually but the duality between Loyalist violence and Loyalist politics is nothing new; it's tradition after all, dating back to the days of the plantation bawns.
Hmm.
It would appear that Vanguard= UVF is what we are going on here.

PatMcL

After his death it emerged that Martin O Hagan (the murdered journalist) was a main source of information for the programme.

As it is most people have made up their minds regarding collusion, the central people involved and their reasons for doing so.

I sustain that the British (as is their want) did not have one policy using informers across both communities. In one (a. nationalist) informers were used as a weapon to try and defeat republicans. In the other (b. unionism) informers were used to sustain the organisations they were in in order to try and defeat a.

Norfolk Enchants

Molly Malone said:
It depends what you want to find. The publishers were sued out of existence. But given that Sinn Fein and the IRA were both run by MI5 as were the UVF etc, the thesis is interesting, if unsustainable. s
You are a complete and total liar and a misguided fool.

The publishers were sued!!! The gargage owners (P*** Brothers) mentioned in the book tried to sue, they lost and all expenses were awarded to the publishers.

There have been no successful lawsuits against the publishers or authors....primarily because you cannot sue for lilbel if the alleged libel is in fact true.

I bought 10 copies of the book in the US. Appalling that a book should be banned for no other reason than to protect state sanctioned murderers and the so called law abiding Unionist politicians.

Jimmy Sands

Website
www.cafepress.com
Norfolk Enchants said:
[quote="Molly Malone":8zzn5dr5]It depends what you want to find. The publishers were sued out of existence. But given that Sinn Fein and the IRA were both run by MI5 as were the UVF etc, the thesis is interesting, if unsustainable. s
You are a complete and total liar and a misguided fool.

The publishers were sued!!! The gargage owners (P*** Brothers) mentioned in the book tried to sue, they lost and all expenses were awarded to the publishers.

There have been no successful lawsuits against the publishers or authors....primarily because you cannot sue for lilbel if the alleged libel is in fact true.

I bought 10 copies of the book in the US. Appalling that a book should be banned for no other reason than to protect state sanctioned murderers and the so called law abiding Unionist politicians.[/quote:8zzn5dr5]

Where on earth do you get this nonsense? The publisher backed down, paid up the maximum on its insurance and pulped the book. It's never been in print since. Anywhere.

Ciaran

It is no secret that the Brits had both sides thoroughly infiltrated for a long period however the extent of which has only become apparent long after the book was taken out of circulation, had it been released know what reception would it have? Ofcourse those named would deny it but so did Freddie, Denis would still be plying his trade had the Brits not pulled the plug on him as an agent. When i first read the book i thought some of the claims to be fantastic now given revelations anything is possible here.
Then again the Brits are neutral here and wouldn't be infiltrating Loyalist and Republican organization to achieve the end they want now would they?

Seánod

I have no doubt that there has been major orchestration of loyalist assassinations and campaigns. I read threequarters of "The Committee" in the expectation of finding some solid evidence for collusion, but was sorely disappointed. I just couldn't tolerate it any more... it was written by someone who cannot distinguish between the presentation of a case and mere fantasy.

The book is a pile of repetitive, unsubstantiated, cheap journalistic crap, and actually has done more harm to the case against collusion than good. Anyone who quotes this book as evidence only does harm to their own credibility.

Fiona_L

Website
sinnfeiner.blogspot.com
bobbysands81 said:
Molly Malone said:
Fiona: what is your problem, aside from your partisan and sectarian politics?
Oh goody! I'm now looking forward to a nice impartial unbiased post...

[quote="Molly Malone":5rhnkcek]The allegations against Trimble did not stand up in court so "the theiss is interesting, in unsustainable.
Given the roles Mark Haddock, Sean O'Callaghan, Stakenife, The Jackal etc played in The Troubles and in the counter ganges I mentioned, it seems I have a big of a clue after all. THe Committee destroyed the ocompany that published it as they got sued. On the bright side, the same company issues Grizzly's tripe in the US so Americans will get less of his writings in the future.
Kettle... Pot... Black.[/quote:5rhnkcek]

I wouldn't pay much mind to Molly Malone - he's a troll that posts under various names. Really, I have no idea what his problem is or where he finds the time to do all this. Sad and pathetic really.

Auditor #9

Website
www.*******.com
CanadianObserver said:
Dia duit,

First post... I keep ending up back here whenever I search for something related to Irish politics, so I figured I'd join.

My question is this: I came across the book, "The Committee" by Sean McPhilemy, the other day in a second-hand bookstore. Knowing that the television special that went with it caused a massive uproar, is it worth reading?
Are you happy now at the bile you've unleashed on this thread?

Dia is Muire duit, our Canadian friend.

For what it`s worth i`ve read the book. There is no doubt at all that there was collusion between the state forces and the loyalist paramilitaries. I don`t think anybody can credibly deny that. There can be little doubt, regardless of a lack of evidence so far, that this was known at very high, if not the highlest levels. That said, the structured committee that McPhilemy talks about is hard to believe. It `d be too open. More stuff would have come out, I believe, if it had existed.

I would still read it if I were you, it will give you an insight, regardless of being true or not, into how the British state in Northern Ireland was perceived by a huge chunk of its population and why republicans were so slow to engage with the British now and why they are still distrusted so much by the republicans .

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies