The "community"

McSlaggart

DUP councillor George Dorrian was on site at Lismore Street on Friday as contractors packed hundreds of pallets on several large lorries.

“The community took a decision with the Covid-19 situation that it wasn’t appropriate to go ahead with the bonfires,” he told the PA news agency.

“This is indicative of communities across the east, they have listened to what’s happening out there, they know the mood, they realise that to have large crowds would not be welcome at this time so each of them have taken a decision in their own right to stand away from bonfires this year and ask the council to help them remove any of the wood that had been collected.”

WTF : How is it ever appropriate to go ahead with bonfires?

Why is nothing done on the people who are building illegal bonfires? All one needs is a digital camera and a long lens and all the information you would need could be gathered.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Seems a bit strong to criticise them for not actually going ahead with these bonfires? On reading all this it seems organisers in the unionist side of the community have actually been quite sensible with this?

Or am I missing something about the story..?

Angler

Seems a bit strong to criticise them for not actually going ahead with these bonfires? On reading all this it seems organisers in the unionist side of the community have actually been quite sensible with this?

Or am I missing something about the story..?
No offense Lumpy , but yes you are missing the point. The bonfires are simply unacceptable full stop.

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Fair enough. I usually look forward to it myself. Have done ever since they burnt the flag of the Ivory Coast publicly in error. It is believed the Ivory Coast have put their navy on full alert as a result.

I tend to focus on the fact that (a) I'd rather have loyalists setting fires in their own areas rather than anyone else's (b) they are the ones dealing with smoke inhalation, watering eyes, the smell of burnt rubber and the mess afterwards (c) it is very unlikely that any nationalists would be presenting at hospitals with singed appendices.

But each to their own, etc and so forth.

Supra

My only problem with the bonfires is how they are ridiculed by republicans.
The part of the north we want to hide from friendly free staters is shared far and wide to scare the bejaysus out of any possible UI supporters

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
We should show more understanding. Some of those unionists are taking a terrible risk to their personal safety. If I had eyebrows like those lads I'd not be within a country mile of a naked flame.

McSlaggart

My only problem with the bonfires is how they are ridiculed by republicans.
The part of the north we want to hide from friendly free staters is shared far and wide to scare the bejaysus out of any possible UI supporters

It should be noted that republicans used to have bonfires and one still exists in Derry. They was/are not supported by the local community and nationalist political parties.

Angler

It should be noted that republicans used to have bonfires and one still exists in Derry. They was/are not supported by the local community and nationalist political parties.
There's a golden opportunity at present to ban all these bonfires once and for all , they've been polluting the atmosphere in more senses than one for far too long , uncivilized and uncivil behavior from any side irrespective of allegiances .

McSlaggart

There's a golden opportunity at present to ban all these bonfires once and for all , they've been polluting the atmosphere in more senses than one for far too long , uncivilized and uncivil behavior from any side irrespective of allegiances .

I would be happier for the popular ones to use :

"Beacons to be used as eco-friendly alternative to Eleventh Night bonfires in Northern Ireland"

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
We could issue them with little sparklers like you'd get at an Elton John concert.

McSlaggart

...unless they happen to be unionists, eh? ;)

I would occasionally go to orange parades and the "12" when they occur near to me. The order even in the last few years has completely fallen apart. The inability of unionist politicians to change the narrative around such damaging annual events as the bonfires just highlights how ineffective unionism has become in controlling its own destiny.

"Just two days before the Eleventh Night bonfires Belfast City Council was remaining tight-lipped over what procedures will be put in place to manage the gatherings.

Pressure has been increasing on organisers from within the loyalist community to ensure all that take place follow Covid-19 guidelines.

The council's strategic policy and resources committee held a special meeting yesterday afternoon where the matter was discussed, but no details have yet been released on what protocol the council will follow.

A special meeting of the full council will be taking place today at 3pm, though it has not been made clear whether the issue over bonfires will be on the agenda."

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom