• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The Constitution prohibits an Atheist President


pauriceenjack

Active member
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
111
Article 12 (section 8) provides that the President, on taking office, make a declaration which opens as follows:

“In the presence of Almighty God I, , do solemnly swear…”



The declaration ends with the words:


“May God direct and sustain me.”

How could an Atheist make such an Oath?

Surely this is Gross Discrimination
 


Joined
Aug 6, 2007
Messages
22,910
Pidge said:
It is, yeah.

Still, you could always lie.
ROFL if he wasthe second last person on the Island of Ireland there would be at least 1 spoiled vote given the choice.
 

NotDevsSon

Active member
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
174
It does make someone who in conscience cannot pretend to believe in a god unable to become president.
 

Riadach

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
12,847
If it keeps pauriceen out, I can't see why we should change it.
 

pauriceenjack

Active member
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
111
CJH said:
Isn't it the same with the oath that judges swear?

Article 34 (section 5) requires every person appointed as a judge to make a declaration which begins with the words:
“In the presence of Almighty God I, Pauriceen Jack , do solemnly swear….”


and ends with the words


“May God direct and sustain me.”
 

pluralist

Active member
Joined
Jan 13, 2005
Messages
180
There are ways around this kind of thing, without lying.

An atheist who was elected could use the DeValera approach by declaring the parts of the declaration referring to God an empty formula of words as far as he or she was concerned, but that he/she would abide by everything else.
 

super pedestrian

Active member
Joined
Apr 12, 2007
Messages
272
When referring to the President, The Constitution say's He, Him, His. Does this mean that a woman cant be President? If not we could be in quite a predicament here :?

1° Every citizen who has reached his thirty-fifth year of age is eligible for election to the office of President.
but in the event of the removal from office of the President or of his death
1° The President shall hold office for seven years from the date upon which he enters upon his office,
 

Riadach

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
12,847
super pedestrian said:
When referring to the President, The Constitution say's He, Him, His. Does this mean that a woman cant be President? If not we could be in quite a predicament here :?

1° Every citizen who has reached his thirty-fifth year of age is eligible for election to the office of President.
[quote:3o0rnr7t]but in the event of the removal from office of the President or of his death
1° The President shall hold office for seven years from the date upon which he enters upon his office,
[/quote:3o0rnr7t]Not it doesn't. The supreme court has decided that issue already.
 

CookieMonster

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
34,659
Seeing as the Irish are being ethnically cleansed our of their own country perhaps it should be re-written as...

“In the presence of Allah and his prophet Muhammed, do solemnly swear…”
 

Riadach

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
12,847
pauriceenjack said:
Why not change the Constitution, and take god out of it?

Why not? Well you're the one who pulls strings with fianna fáil. Get them to call one. I don't think you should campaign personally though, pauriceen, it may have the opposite effect.
 

Riadach

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 9, 2007
Messages
12,847
CookieMonster said:
Seeing as the Irish are being ethnically cleansed our of their own country perhaps it should be re-written as...

“In the presence of Allah and his prophet Muhammed, do solemnly swear…”
TAKFIR!

EDIT: I withdraw my accusation.
 

pauriceenjack

Active member
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
111
Riadach said:
pauriceenjack said:
Why not change the Constitution, and take god out of it?

Why not? Well you're the one who pulls strings with fianna fáil. Get them to call one. I don't think you should campaign personally though, pauriceen, it may have the opposite effect.
My honourable senior members have quite a lot on their plate at the moment :mrgreen:
 
S

Starkadder

pluralist said:
There are ways around this kind of thing, without lying.

An atheist who was elected could use the DeValera approach by declaring the parts of the declaration referring to God an empty formula of words as far as he or she was concerned, but that he/she would abide by everything else.
You could go the US Constitution's way of saying that "God" only
refers to a "Creator" or "Nature's God", rather than the Christian
God.

Imagine: "In the presence of Almighty Zeus/Thor/Lug/Horus,
I, Starkadder, do solemnly swear.." ;)
 

Stíofán

Member
Joined
Dec 17, 2006
Messages
83
Website
www.redbrick.dcu.ie
I'd support an optional alternative oath if the need ever arose.

Interesting to note that all God references are denominationally neutral.

Ah, it's not something I'm loosing sleep over.
 

pauriceenjack

Active member
Joined
Jan 10, 2008
Messages
111
Stíofán said:
I'd support an optional alternative oath if the need ever arose.

Interesting to note that all God references are denominationally neutral.

Ah, it's not something I'm loosing sleep over.

You would have to change the constitution first.

How could a person who was a publicly declared Atheist take such an Oath?
 

CookieMonster

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
34,659
Riadach said:
CookieMonster said:
Seeing as the Irish are being ethnically cleansed our of their own country perhaps it should be re-written as...

“In the presence of Allah and his prophet Muhammed, do solemnly swear…”
TAKFIR!

EDIT: I withdraw my accusation.
WUSS!
 

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top