The Constitution prohibits an Atheist President

Universal_001

Simly leave out the god parts when you say the oath, it's the people your working for anyway not the church so nobody would give a rats ass

pauriceenjack

bobbysands81 said:
pauriceenjack said:
Article 12 (section 8) provides that the President, on taking office, make a declaration which opens as follows:

“In the presence of Almighty God I, , do solemnly swear…”

The declaration ends with the words:

“May God direct and sustain me.”

How could an Atheist make such an Oath?

Surely this is Gross Discrimination
I bet you don't complain about the British monarchy being sectarian.
I do not personally support any Monarchy. However it could not survive without tthe support of the British People. While it is there it must be respected. That does not mean you cant campaign to end it

Thekinghasnoclothes

Will we ever have an Atheist candidate or a candidate who would admit they were an Atheist?

Could an Atheist ever get elected President?

feedmelies

Seeing as the Irish are being ethnically cleansed our of their own country perhaps it should be re-written as...

“In the presence of Allah and his prophet Muhammed, do solemnly swear…”
Yes, Irish people are being ethnically cleansed by the 0.8% of the population that are muslims. Time to re-write the constitution, sure we might as well just implement sharia law

Norman Bates

Twitter
norman60bates
For God's sake, Michael D is a politician who has been campaigning since 1969. Hands up all those who think that in all that time he never, ever said a fib or said anything that he didn't entirely belive in.

Michael D. will say his oath as if it were one of his poems. Not a word dropped.

biffo50

I was under the impression Eamon Gilmore was an agnostic rather than an atheist - he said so himself in a Hot Press interview some years ago. As regards Michael D. Higgins, my impression was that he is a Christian. Regarding the figure of 186,000, it has to be said that being non religious does not necessarily mean one is an atheist, as it also includes agnostics as well as believers who are simply not into organised religion. I can't count the number of times I have met people who say 'I believe in God but I'm not religious.'

Cato

I was under the impression Eamon Gilmore was an agnostic rather than an atheist - he said so himself in a Hot Press interview some years ago. As regards Michael D. Higgins, my impression was that he is a Christian. Regarding the figure of 186,000, it has to be said that being non religious does not necessarily mean one is an atheist, as it also includes agnostics as well as believers who are simply not into organised religion. I can't count the number of times I have met people who say 'I believe in God but I'm not religious.'
There are also people who believe that there is no god but who would not use the 'atheist' tag of themselves.

feedmelies

You can be an agnostic atheist. Atheist means not believing in god. Agnostic means "not being 100% sure". If you were a "gnostic" atheist your view would be "I am 100% sure there is no god". If you were an agnostic atheist your view would be "I do not believe there is a god but I obviously cannot prove this". Most agnostics are actually agnostic atheists, as are most atheists.

I

idij

neither would it make a liar of me.
Wouldn't the part stating that you were "In the presence of Almighty God" be a lie?

That bit seems to be a fairly clear cut assertion, and you either consider it to be true or are asserting falsely something that you consider untrue.

Even if you think it's still not an outright lie and can find some kind of personal accommodation with it, the fact that religious belief forces on us this kind of "acceptable" compromise with the truth is the reason it should be nowhere near the constitution. It's unethical to demand it of people.

Seriously, what the hell sort of oath of office forces people into muddy ethical water , crossed fingers, or perhaps an outright lie just as they are taking it? So much for people starting as they mean to continue.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies