The Cork North Central Thread

ruserious

A by-election is to be held on Friday 29th November to replace the seat vacated by Billy Kelleher MEP of Fianna Fáil.

This will be an interesting contest and one that I suspect is a little more open than people may realise.

Cork North Central is now a much bigger constituency than last time out. It has a large urban base in the north of Cork city, much of which is socially disadvantaged, to a rural setting in the north of the constituency.

At the last election, FF came on top with first preferences though I suspect a lot of that was because of Billy Kelleher’s name recognition and long service to the area. I’m not so sure that FF’s candidate in Padraig O’Sullivan will attract that level of support.

Sen Colm Burke is on the FG ticket. I honestly thought he was on the verge of retiring and am surprised he got the nomination ahead of Julie O’Leary. Colm has been around a long time, and am not sure what he can offer at this stage.

Cllr John Maher will contest it for the Labour Party. Hear quite a few people suggesting he may do it. Not so sure myself. Recently made local headlines calling for a four day working week to be trialled in Cork.

Cllr Thomas Gould is running for Sinn Féin. SF already have a seat here with Jonathan O’Brien who topped the poll in 2011. Has been around local politics for a while.

Sinead Halpin of the SDs, Oliver Moran of the Greens, James Coughlan of the Workers Party (where the **** is Ted??), Fiona Ryan of Solidarity and Finian Toomey of Aontú make up the rest of Party candidates.

I wouldn’t be comfortable as yet to predict a winner here. At a push I would say either O’Sullivan or Gould. Gould will need a big push from the urban part of the constituency and get good transfers from the left.

jacko

would agree that its an O'Sullivan v Gould battle for the seat.

Maher to poll strongly and set himself up for the general election

Burke will take a bit of a beating

Solidarity will be off the pace - ominous for Barry in the general election

mangaire2

A by-election is to be held on Friday 29th November to replace the seat vacated by Billy Kelleher MEP of Fianna Fáil.

This will be an interesting contest and one that I suspect is a little more open than people may realise.

Cork North Central is now a much bigger constituency than last time out. It has a large urban base in the north of Cork city, much of which is socially disadvantaged, to a rural setting in the north of the constituency.

At the last election, FF came on top with first preferences though I suspect a lot of that was because of Billy Kelleher’s name recognition and long service to the area. I’m not so sure that FF’s candidate in Padraig O’Sullivan will attract that level of support.

Sen Colm Burke is on the FG ticket. I honestly thought he was on the verge of retiring and am surprised he got the nomination ahead of Julie O’Leary. Colm has been around a long time, and am not sure what he can offer at this stage.

Cllr John Maher will contest it for the Labour Party. Hear quite a few people suggesting he may do it. Not so sure myself. Recently made local headlines calling for a four day working week to be trialled in Cork.

Cllr Thomas Gould is running for Sinn Féin. SF already have a seat here with Jonathan O’Brien who topped the poll in 2011. Has been around local politics for a while.

Sinead Halpin of the SDs, Oliver Moran of the Greens, James Coughlan of the Workers Party (where the **** is Ted??), Fiona Ryan of Solidarity and Finian Toomey of Aontú make up the rest of Party candidates.

I wouldn’t be comfortable as yet to predict a winner here. At a push I would say either O’Sullivan or Gould. Gould will need a big push from the urban part of the constituency and get good transfers from the left.
any candidate from the Irish Cuman of the BNP ?

midlander12

FF's to lose in my view. On the basis of their LE performance SF would not be able to win a byelection here, though it was one of their better areas and O'Brien will surely be reelected in the GE. They would however have no hope of holding 2 in a GE and one wonders if their heart would be in the byelection campaign for a seat they would hold for 6 months at most. Bizarre to see Lab being even mentioned as possible winners. The Colm Burke thing is mad and they have obviously thrown in the towel - I can actually remember him fighting and losing a byelection here in 1994, the same day as Hugh (not Simon) Coveney was elected. You'd wonder how many defeats it takes to get the message.

Popular Threads

Most Replies