• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The cost of background checks on would-be gun-buyers.

davidcameron

Gun control bid fails in US Senate despite Orlando - RTÉ News

The US Senate, voting largely along party lines, has defeated a Democratic measure aimed at expanding background checks for individual gun sales, a blow to reform efforts in the wake of the Orlando massacre.

The amendment, put forward by Senator Chris Murphy who staged a 15-hour marathon Senate speech pressing for common sense gun control in the aftermath of the attack on a Florida gay club, failed to clear a procedural hurdle, going down 44 votes to 56.

A Republican measure expanding funding for the background check system also failed to advance
How is the background check system expensive?

It couldn't cost much to type someone's name and postcode into a PULSE-style computer system. Presumably, it would take less than a minute to do it.

Congalltee

APettigrew92

Gun control bid fails in US Senate despite Orlando - RTÉ News

How is the background check system expensive?

It couldn't cost much to type someone's name and postcode into a PULSE-style computer system. Presumably, it would take less than a minute to do it.
This isn't a "logical = solution" problem.

These are US Senators and other elected officials.

They are so greased by the oil, armament and high finance that they literally are nothing but figureheads.

A Republican Senator once argued against wind farms as wind is apparently a finite resource.

No logic to be found here.

gleeful

America wont change until some nutter goes and shoots up the NRA AGM.

Stentor

Guns are awesome. Shut up you haters!

[video]https://youtu.be/WOoUVeyaY_8[/video]

sethjem7

If they weren't going to change in the aftermath of Sandy hook, they weren't going to change for anything.

ne0ica

What Democrats need to do is get gangs of black men with legally purchased firearms to walk around white Republican voting suburbs with their guns open carry. :cool:

ne0ica

Honestly I'd think I would own a gun if I lived in America. Obama refuses to recognize were at war with Radical Islam because he wants to be politically correct. Was FDR or Churchill this polite with the Nazis.

Dame_Enda

Very shortsighted of the Dems to vote against the Cornyn bill delaying gun sales by 3 days. Yes its nowhere nearly enough but they are letting the best be the enemy of the good. Do the Dems want a solution or just an issue? I think the latter. I agree with banning assault weapons and the other bills too.

On a positive side, the SC upheld Connecticuts partial semi automatic weapon ban.

Odyessus

America wont change until some nutter goes and shoots up the NRA AGM.
Actually, that's the last place that would be attacked. Any would-be attacker would be riddled with bullets, probably before he even got a single shot off. Which kind of proves the point of the NRA's arguments that only people with legally held guns are a deterrent to criminal shooters.

davidcameron

If they weren't going to change in the aftermath of Sandy hook, they weren't going to change for anything.
People should have suspected that the way in which Adam Lanza's mother brought him up was disturbing, i.e. training him to shoot at an early age. If he had been taken from his mother by child and family services when he was a child then he might not have become a mass-murderer.

PeacefulViking

People should have suspected that the way in which Adam Lanza's mother brought him up was disturbing, i.e. training him to shoot at an early age. If he had been taken from his mother by child and family services when he was a child then he might not have become a mass-murderer.
Loads of parents in the US teach their children to shoot, that is not remarkable in of itself.

Lúidín

Loads of parents in the US teach their children to shoot, that is not remarkable in of itself.
Well apart from yourself remarking on it, it's downright baffling to anyone reared outside of the Middle East and USA.

PeacefulViking

Well apart from yourself remarking on it, it's downright baffling to anyone reared outside of the Middle East and USA.
That is an exaggeration, I am sure hunters introduce their children to hunting and the use of weapons in many places. I am also sure that people who engage in sport shooting sometimes introduce their children to it.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies