The cost of our bills .. Gas, Electricity etc .. especially "Hidden" recurring costs included

robut

The cost of our bills .. Gas, Electricity etc .. especially "Hidden" stealth recurring costs included

Hi Guys .. Sort of a RANT :D

Just looking at my ENERGIA Gas and Electricity bills.

What each provider seems to do is compete on the unit cost only?

In my case for gas I am on €0.0517 per unit & for Electricity I am on €0.1665 per unit.

From 02/11/2017 - 05/01/2018 we ( 2 of us ) used 682 units Electricity = €113.55

From 10/11/2017 - 18/01/2018 we ( 2 of us ) used 4089 units Gas ( Gas heating, Cooking ) = €211.40

So these are the figures other utilities can compete on?

BUT its the other added "hidden" costs that cannot be competed for that also not too inconsiderably add up?

- Standing Charge ELECTRICITY - €23.21
- Public Service Obligation Levy- 64 days at €0.25 - €16.18
- VAT @ 13.5% ON EVERYTHING - €17.58 ( so taxing tax? )

Total outside of actual unit cost - €57.07 out of a TOTAL ELECTRICITY BILL of €147.81 ( inc Energia discount )

- Standing Charge GAS - €15.50
- Carbon Tax for 4089 units @ €0.0037 per unit - €15.13
- VAT @ 13.5% ON EVERYTHING - €27.25 ( so taxing tax? )

Total outside of actual unit cost - €57.88 out of a TOTAL GAS BILL of €229.11 ( inc Energia discount )

So for a GAS & ELECTRICITY 2 month period OTHER COSTS like Carbon tax, Standing Charges, VAT, Public Service Charge cost me €114.95 .. attempt averaging that over a year x6 gives you about say .. lets say €500/€600pa

So no wonder we have high utility/energy costs here. The basic cost is one thing, its the add on "hidden" costs we seem not to take notice of?

I am sure WASTE will be going this way too? And WATER if it ever comes in again?

AND BTW .. VAT on Gas and Electricity? Are these LUXURY Goods? Was that not the original intention of VAT?

And And .. Carbon Tax FFS .. And and and What the hell is the Public Service Obligation Levy there for?

I am sure others could add here other different hidden costs within bills?

As an aside .. another one. Car Tax. If you pay yearly its one cost, fine. But it you pay 3 or 6 monthly you are heavily penalized by a higher total cost than if you paid once yearly? Why is this, its a public government compulsory cost/tax. Surely if paying 3 or 6 monthly the cost should be the same as once yearly? But no, particularly if paying every 3 months, it could be €80 to €100 or more of a difference. And anyone paying 3 monthly or 6 monthly might be doing so because they just are short of cash.

And BTW again .. how do we compare UNIT Cost for Gas and Electricity with nearest neighbour UK and with rest of Europe OUTSIDE of these extra charges?

Last edited:

venusian

Yes indeed, you we and all electricity / gas etc users are being utterly screwed over by these stealth charges. And worse, you have identified another tax upon a tax, disgraceful stuff. Of all of them and the least useful is the joke Carbon rip off tax. Of course nothing will change as long as FFG/"labour" any any variation thereof are in government, time they were dumped!

Mushroom

Yes indeed, you we and all electricity / gas etc users are being utterly screwed over by these stealth charges. And worse, you have identified another tax upon a tax, disgraceful stuff. Of all of them and the least useful is the joke Carbon rip off tax. Of course nothing will change as long as FFG/"labour" any any variation thereof are in government, time they were dumped!
And rex sphinctorum strikes again!

robut

What the Public Service Obligation (PSO) is and how it affects you.

There are many components which contribute to the cost of your electricity bill; amongst them a tariff imposed by government on all electricity users called the Public Service Obligation (PSO) Levy.

The PSO Levy makes up part of each domestic and small commercial customer electricity bill and is used to cover the additional costs associated with producing sustainable and renewable energy in Ireland.
So the PSO levy and the Carbon tax are both aimed at similar things? Bought introduced by the Greens I wonder?

I also note the cost increase mentioned:

On October 1st 2017 the PSO Levy increased, from €70.75 (€80.30 including VAT) to €92.28 (€104.74 including VAT).
And the table below that shows its meteoric rise since 2011 from:

2011-2012 Annual Levy Amount €19.33

to

2017 - 2018 Annual Levy Amount €92.28

I will leave others here to work out the % increase .. crazy

AND isnt this meteoric rise in the PSO exactly why people rail against new charges and taxes .. Because they always go one way big time like in this case.

hiding behind a poster

Yeah, sure let's just let someone else pay for everything.

HarshBuzz

You seem to be spending a fortune on heating robut.

What's the BER rating of your house? We had ours rebuilt a few years back and went from an E rating to a B. A tank of oil now lasts over a year (cost about €600).

Turbinator

Increasingly Irish energy bills are mostly made up of levies to fund useless windfarms and related grid projects.

robut

You seem to be spending a fortune on heating robut.

What's the BER rating of your house? We had ours rebuilt a few years back and went from an E rating to a B. A tank of oil now lasts over a year (cost about €600).
Yes HB. We extended round 2013. That part of the house is A rated. The old part of house is C1 or 2 rated.

That €211 was for a 3 month period too & in the most use period for heating ...

Maybe the diff is you seem to have OIL Heating and we have Gas Boiler??

HarshBuzz

Yes HB. We extended round 2013. That part of the house is A rated. The old part of house is C1 or 2 rated.

Maybe the diff is you seem to have OIL Heating and we have Gas Boiler??
Yeah but you still shouldn't be spending THAT much with a good energy rating. Unless you have a ridiculously oversized house (in which case expect no sympathy!).

Have you got the heat on all day, every day? Maybe look at something like Hive.

Nesuno

Yeah, sure let's just let someone else pay for everything.
No one's saying that. But what's wrong with wanting a genuinely competitive energy market as opposed to the cartel/screw the consumer you and your FG/Tory pals cheerlead for?

hiding behind a poster

I think the logic of the PSO levy is that the State owns and maintains the grid infrastructure, this ensuring that everyone gets access, while companies can compete to sell you the product.

hiding behind a poster

No one's saying that. But what's wrong with wanting a genuinely competitive energy market as opposed to the cartel/screw the consumer you and your FG/Tory pals cheerlead for?
That's not my view of it. We do have a competitive energy market.

robut

Yeah but you still shouldn't be spending THAT much with a good energy rating. Unless you have a ridiculously oversized house (in which case expect no sympathy!).

Have you got the heat on all day, every day? Maybe look at something like Hive.
No, not on all day. During week it would be on at night for a few hours. I would say maybe about 4 hours a day. The house is not huge. It was a standard 3 bed DETACHED bungalow in an estate. We extended kitchen, added a utility, extra bedroom and ensuite to the back of it is all, just under the sq footage where planning was not required.

ShoutingIsLeadership

France has the cheapest power in the EU - because nuclear...
We used to have the cheapest electricity, until prices were increased to attract competition into the market. The same brain dead logic that sees variable rate mortgages rise. Entrants are attracted to those higher prices, they enter the market to force rates down...they want a piece of the inflated pie

ShoutingIsLeadership

I think the logic of the PSO levy is that the State owns and maintains the grid infrastructure, this ensuring that everyone gets access, while companies can compete to sell you the product.
And one-off houses don't have to face the true economic cost of their self imposed isolation?

im axeled

Hi Guys .. Sort of a RANT :D

Just looking at my ENERGIA Gas and Electricity bills.

What each provider seems to do is compete on the unit cost only?

In my case for gas I am on €0.0517 per unit & for Electricity I am on €0.1665 per unit.

From 02/11/2017 - 05/01/2018 we ( 2 of us ) used 682 units Electricity = €113.55

From 10/11/2017 - 18/01/2018 we ( 2 of us ) used 4089 units Gas ( Gas heating, Cooking ) = €211.40

So these are the figures other utilities can compete on?

BUT its the other added "hidden" costs that cannot be competed for that also not too inconsiderably add up?

- Standing Charge ELECTRICITY - €23.21
- Public Service Obligation Levy- 64 days at €0.25 - €16.18
- VAT @ 13.5% ON EVERYTHING - €17.58 ( so taxing tax? )

Total outside of actual unit cost - €57.07 out of a TOTAL ELECTRICITY BILL of €147.81 ( inc Energia discount )

- Standing Charge GAS - €15.50
- Carbon Tax for 4089 units @ €0.0037 per unit - €15.13
- VAT @ 13.5% ON EVERYTHING - €27.25 ( so taxing tax? )

Total outside of actual unit cost - €57.88 out of a TOTAL GAS BILL of €229.11 ( inc Energia discount )

So for a GAS & ELECTRICITY 2 month period OTHER COSTS like Carbon tax, Standing Charges, VAT, Public Service Charge cost me €114.95 .. attempt averaging that over a year x6 gives you about say .. lets say €500/€600pa

So no wonder we have high utility/energy costs here. The basic cost is one thing, its the add on "hidden" costs we seem not to take notice of?

I am sure WASTE will be going this way too? And WATER if it ever comes in again?

AND BTW .. VAT on Gas and Electricity? Are these LUXURY Goods? Was that not the original intention of VAT?

And And .. Carbon Tax FFS .. And and and What the hell is the Public Service Obligation Levy there for?

I am sure others could add here other different hidden costs within bills?

As an aside .. another one. Car Tax. If you pay yearly its one cost, fine. But it you pay 3 or 6 monthly you are heavily penalized by a higher total cost than if you paid once yearly? Why is this, its a public government compulsory cost/tax. Surely if paying 3 or 6 monthly the cost should be the same as once yearly? But no, particularly if paying every 3 months, it could be €80 to €100 or more of a difference. And anyone paying 3 monthly or 6 monthly might be doing so because they just are short of cash.

And BTW again .. how do we compare UNIT Cost for Gas and Electricity with nearest neighbour UK and with rest of Europe OUTSIDE of these extra charges?
this may help a tad on the uk's charges
https://uk.finance.yahoo.com/news/uk-energy-consumption-falling-says-171229086.html

New Threads

Most Replies