The cruel sport of kings.

G

Gadjodilo

I'm not a fan of the gee-gees anyway so it was purely by chance that I came across the British Grand National on TV last Saturday. I could only watch it for a couple of seconds before I turned away in disgust. I'm an animal lover and the sight of those magnificent animals crashing over the huge fences and falling on the other side was utterly sickening.

Two horses were killed during the race (it's usually more) and it really does seem that those fences are designed to cause horses to come crashing down. The vast majority failed to finish. Make no mistake about it; with their large bodies and thin legs, a fall is far more likely to be fatal for a horse than it is for a human. Of course, a fall may not kill the horse but if they can't race again as a result of the injury, they're put down. For all the eulogisation of these noble creatures, they're viewed as no more than racing machines.

Worst of all is the whip. Is it really necessary in this day and age? Cruelty to animals is illegal yet riders are allowed to whack the horse to such an extent that the unfortunate animal must go faster. Why not ban the whip altogether? It would still be a level playing field.

setanta

I thought that philately was the sport of kings!

HanleyS

The race is a bit of a joke to be honest. I don't know how anybody can take it seriously. It's more like Gallipoli than a horse race.

eddiebatt

Only one horse was killed in the National.These animals live in better conditions then most of the worlds population.They may get the odd crack of a whip during a race but its much better then ending up on a dinner table.

meriwether

HanleyS said:
The race is a bit of a joke to be honest. I don't know how anybody can take it seriously. It's more like Gallipoli than a horse race.
However, the gambled on joint Fav won.

Worst of all is the whip. Is it really necessary in this day and age?
Excessive whipping is punishable.
It does have one use, other than an incentive to run faster, in that it can be used to keep horses straight.

and it really does seem that those fences are designed to cause horses to come crashing down.
They're not. Ever seen a showjumping fence?

The vast majority failed to finish
Most of them shouldn't be there in the forst place, its a vanity on the part of owners/trainers.

HanleyS

meriwether said:
HanleyS said:
My only issue is the number of competitors. They capped it for safety reasons but it's still excessive. It's a big one for the bookies though.

G

Gadjodilo

rubberduckey said:
Is it horse racing or just this specific race that you have an issue with?
With regard to the fences, the Grand National is notorious. Anecdotal evidence suggests that excessive use of the whip is worse in flat racing.

eddiebatt

Btw Gadjodilo-you don't seem too worried about jockey Mick Fitzgerald who had 8 hours of surgery yesterday to correct a serious injury incurred during the race.Please feel free to ignore the real story and concentrate on emotional,misleading rubbish.

eddiebatt

Gadjodilo said:
rubberduckey said:
Is it horse racing or just this specific race that you have an issue with?
With regard to the fences, the Grand National is notorious. Anecdotal evidence suggests that excessive use of the whip is worse in flat racing.
Anecdotal evidence =old wives tales.

meriwether

HanleyS said:
meriwether said:
HanleyS said:
My only issue is the number of competitors. They capped it for safety reasons but it's still excessive. It's a big one for the bookies though.
The problem is the number of horses that are placed- many bookmakers only pay out first 4, which in a 40 horse race is robbery. You get 1-2-3 in an 8 runner after all.

Though of course, extra runners means more chance of a fukk-up, and makes it harder to analyse, I grant you that.

G

Gadjodilo

eddiebatt said:
Btw Gadjodilo-you don't seem too worried about jockey Mick Fitzgerald who had 8 hours of surgery yesterday to correct a serious injury incurred during the race.Please feel free to ignore the real story and concentrate on emotional,misleading rubbish.
Damn right I'm not. He had a choice and knew all the risks. No-one's going to put him down if he can't ride again.

meriwether

Gadjodilo said:
eddiebatt said:
Damn right I'm not. He had a choice and knew all the risks. No-one's going to put him down if he can't ride again.
So you put the feelings of an animal above a human being?

G

Gadjodilo

meriwether said:
It does have one use, other than an incentive to run faster, in that it can be used to keep horses straight.
Whipping is cruel. The fact that they're allowed to beat the horse at all is wrong.

meriwether said:
and it really does seem that those fences are designed to cause horses to come crashing down.
Yup. I think they're cruel too. But at least the horses don't approach at such speed and not all in a big bunch where the possibility of a collision is greatly increased.

TheBear

<Mod>Moved to Culture & Community.</Mod>

meriwether

Gadjodilo said:
meriwether said:
Whipping is cruel. The fact that they're allowed to beat the horse at all is wrong.

meriwether said:
Yup. I think they're cruel too. But at least the horses don't approach at such speed and not all in a big bunch where the possibility of a collision is greatly increased.
Sorry, I lost interest in engaging with you after your comments re Mick Fitz above.

eddiebatt

meriwether said:
Gadjodilo said:
eddiebatt said:
So you put the feelings of an animal above a human being?
Spot on.Reminds me of a woman I worked for in England.One day in the middle of winter she saw 2 crusties with a dog who looked cold.She gave them 20 to buy the dog a coat or blanket.I'd imagine it was immediately spent on special brew.

G

Gadjodilo

eddiebatt said:
Only one horse was killed in the National.
Sorry, got confused with the Topham Chase which is run over the Grand National Course. Time To Sell and In The High Grass were killed in that race.

eddiebatt

Gadjodilo said:
eddiebatt said:
You are obviously a well balanced individual if you can equate the welfare of a man with a family to a horse.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies