The curious tale of Anglo Irish Bank and its Austrian deposits

DCon

Thanks for this - a very enlightening example of a quasi miraculous evolution of a piece of legislation that happened upon a fairly direct conflict between the public interest, on The ond hand, and privileged private interests on the other.
If we are wondering why international investors are now so wary of Ireland Inc., could it be because they have sussed that the biddability of our political class now makes us a very risky proposition?
Houston, we have a problem.
There is a very good chance

I imagine there is a lot of "if they will do this to their own peopèle, do we want to give them our money" conversations going on.

Newsy

It would just fall on deaf ears --Most people don`t seem to care or they just don`t want to know --Ostrischs or ignoramuses -you decide.
I believe that is unfair. People are punch-drunk.

Are there not a group of people (solicitors/accountants/auditors etc) who could go through all this anglo info with a fine tooth comb and track the money and the dealings.

He3

I believe that is unfair. People are punch-drunk.

Are there not a group of people (solicitors/accountants/auditors etc) who could go through all this anglo info with a fine tooth comb and track the money and the dealings.
Unless you think that task can be done by volunteers, you are depending on State employees in the Garda, Director of Corporate Enforcement and such places.

Do not hold your breath. Political decisions make those bodies either incapable or unwilling to take on white collar criminal investigation.

Pay up and wave your children off at the airport.

cashinhand

It is astonishing, to honest people who care for Ireland.

To our government it is, unfortunately, par for the course..

The following amendment was proposed at committee stage of the Anglo Nationalisation bill.

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2009/0109/b0109d-dcn.pdf

This was then changed to

http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/bills/2009/0109/b0109d-dcn1.pdf

No mention in the actual Act: http://www.oireachtas.ie/documents/bills28/acts/2009/a0109.pdf
Excellent work.

Now, would everybody keep mentioning this everywhere they can so that Ms O'Callaghan, Ms Halligan, Mr Duffy, Mr Mac Coille, Mr Keena et al can ask Mr Lenihan and Mr Cowen and their supporters about this at every available opportunity.

It looks like the facilitation of theft from the Irish people on a grand scale.

Thomas Ofiannachta

I think its excellent work by all that this is highlighted somewhere.

I also think its a little surprising that the thread has only run to 3 pages so far.

If this story came to light say 20 years ago i suspect that people would be all over it. But as has been suggested people are so bombarded with info, like callely slicing of a few grand here and there and cowens all night parting that they are over looking more important stories.

I shall be emailing this blog to my friends.

DCon

It looks like the facilitation of theft from the Irish people on a grand scale.
It sure does.

And no explanation from Lenihan as to why the clause was not included.

He3

It sure does.

And no explanation from Lenihan as to why the clause was not included.
The old 'best advice' alibi doesn't cover it either.

DCon

The old 'best advice' alibi doesn't cover it either.
Just wait for the day when Lenny tells us that they needed their Deposits so they could pay NAMA..

He3

Very creative there DCon

JCR

If this story doesn't get the attention it should over the next week or so it would in my opinion be worth emailing various newsrooms etc regarding the substance of this thread. I would be curious to see if there is a response and the reasons given for not pursuing this story with vigour. Lenihans antics over the last two years have to be put to account.

Gadfly

If this story doesn't get the attention it should over the next week or so it would in my opinion be worth emailing various newsrooms etc regarding the substance of this thread. I would be curious to see if there is a response and the reasons given for not pursuing this story with vigour. Lenihans antics over the last two years have to be put to account.

It's likely that this has cost the taxpayer a large multiple of hapless Ivor's expense
claims. Imagine if the media devoted as
much space to this.
The case of the vanishing safeguard clause. It just disappeared into thin air, within the Department of Finance.
Cui bono?

JCR

It's likely that this has cost the taxpayer a large multiple of hapless Ivor's expense
claims. Imagine if the media devoted as
much space to this.
The case of the vanishing safeguard clause. It just disappeared into thin air, within the Department of Finance.
Cui bono?
Barringtons article basically pointed to the rotten core of the antics of Anglo and Lenihan over the last two years. I would guess an article like this is all you can safely say until concrete evidence is found. Deepthroat required...

He3

Bob Woodward is between books

myrak

I think its excellent work by all that this is highlighted somewhere.

I also think its a little surprising that the thread has only run to 3 pages so far.

If this story came to light say 20 years ago i suspect that people would be all over it. But as has been suggested people are so bombarded with info, like callely slicing of a few grand here and there and cowens all night parting that they are over looking more important stories.

I shall be emailing this blog to my friends.
Maybe if the thread title mentioned 'the deleted clause' it would attract more attention... an even curiouser tale than Austrian deposits.Just a thought.

DCon

Magror14

I remember back in 1983 when I was a youngster I was in a car with my boss and we passed Anglo-Irish bank. I was very impressed with the name thinking they were some kind of elite high brow banking outfit and I made some comment along those lines.

My boss simply said "a shower of crooks".

Folks, that was back in 1983. I am not saying that any Anglo employee is a crook but I really wonder on what, if anything, he was basing his statement. He is a person whose opinion I respected at the time.

I would have scoffed at a thread like this a couple of years ago.

He3

I remember back in 1983 when I was a youngster I was in a car with my boss and we passed Anglo-Irish bank. I was very impressed with the name thinking they were some kind of elite high brow banking outfit and I made some comment along those lines.

My boss simply said "a shower of crooks".

Folks, that was back in 1983. I am not saying that any Anglo employee is a crook but I really wonder on what, if anything, he was basing his statement. He is a person whose opinion I respected at the time.

I would have scoffed at a thread like this a couple of years ago.

Time changes us doesn't it?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies