The Daily Show -really gone downhill!

Supermanpolitician

Watched the Daily Show for the first time in ages last night.

It now seems that insight and wit have been replaced by Jon Stewart just shouting,occassionaly at images of Karl Rove but for the most part it just doesn't seen funny.

Any takers?

sauntersplash

Haven't seen it in ages myself. My allegiance quickly moved when Colbert got his own programme.

Kevin Doyle

Watched the Daily Show for the first time in ages last night.

It now seems that insight and wit have been replaced by Jon Stewart just shouting,occassionaly at images of Karl Rove but for the most part it just doesn't seen funny.

Any takers?
Political humour is bound to suffer when minefields like Bush are removed from the landscape. Stewart is however displaying a sincere belief in his own hype.

Munion

Disagree. The recent skit on Obamacare was excellent and probably more informative for your average american than the "real" news.

Horses

it's not funny at all and some of the segments on the show lately about white Americans declining demographically have been disturbingly racist. Mostly it's the same crap day in day out, not very creative, laughing at fox news gets old and the host laughs to much at his own jokes.

Supermanpolitician

it's not funny at all and some of the segments on the show lately about white Americans declining demographically have been disturbingly racist. Mostly it's the same crap day in day out, not very creative, laughing at fox news gets old and the host laughs to much at his own jokes.
I agree, but when it came out first it was relatively funny...or and I remembering it differently to what it was?

alonso

hit and miss now. Was once all hit

fergalr

hit and miss now. Was once all hit
Yeah that's the truth. Their pinnacle was Indecision 2004, when the choice was between a retard and a robot for president. They knew it and were gloriously condescending towards all.

One massive change has been the phasing out of the "special correspondents". Whereas before either Stephen Colbert, Samantha Bee and Rob Corddry would've likely had a five minute piece in each episode, now the correspondents are tied to the studio; providing filler to the end of one of Stewart's monologues. I will never forget, as long as I live, Rob Corddry's pieces on fuel consumption - where he drove around Manhattan all day in a sputtering stretched Hummer - and Canadian ethanol - where he befriended, defended and later mercy-executed Produce Peat.

Their segments are gone, too. Corddry and Colbert's brilliant This Week in God has sadly lapsed, as has Bee's Mark Your Calendar. And the show as a whole has become completely mainstream, replete with insider jokes. It used to be a show with guerilla tactics. God but Stephen Colbert rocking out on the floor of the DNC in 2004 was the stuff comedy dreams are made of.

Evidently, market research has identified Jon Stewart as the main draw for audiences. That's a real pity. As funny, intelligent and satirical as he is, some of the best comedy used to come from the other contributors. The ones left today are a pale reflection on the alumni of the show. Stephen Colbert and Steve Carrell have both definitely, sadly, gone onto better things.

I've beem watching since 2004 and it's definitely gone downhill since then. As, perhaps, was inevitable. It still has its great moments, like the brilliant bit on product placement in Obama's ludicrously expensive 30min ad spot right before the election, but those are the few twinkling stars that remain in what used to be a glittering firmament.

seabhcan

One massive change has been the phasing out of the "special correspondents".
They still do that, though more rarely. They sent Jason Jones to Iran a few weeks bank and did a fantastic sketch where they asked people in New York questions about Iran (like 'Name a country in the middle east begining with IRAN" - anwser: Don't know) and asked Iranians questions about the US ("Name the speaker of the house of representatives?" Answer; Nancy Pelosi)

Asif Manvi is usually good too.

fergalr

They still do that, though more rarely. They sent Jason Jones to Iran a few weeks bank and did a fantastic sketch where they asked people in New York questions about Iran (like 'Name a country in the middle east begining with IRAN" - anwser: Don't know) and asked Iranians questions about the US ("Name the speaker of the house of representatives?" Answer; Nancy Pelosi)

Asif Manvi is usually good too.
Jason Jones has been carrying Corddry's torch as the arrogant jackass of the team and is very good, I grant you. His trip to Iran was quite interesting alright. But that's the rarity nowadays. I have a vague memory of I think Colbert doing a spot about pets being kept in apartment buildings against the rules and disguising his camera as a cat to do undercover work.

Or Colbert's trip around the South during Indecision 2004 with two guys dressed in Confederate and Union costumes to display the divides being caused by the election :lol:

Dáiler

Victim of his own success and over hyped his own importance. Its down hill all the way once that happens.

imokyrok

It doesn't work as well as a comedy show without Bush to lampoon but it's still the best source for Americans to figure out the truth from the spin regarding news.

fergalr

It doesn't work as well as a comedy show without Bush to lampoon but it's still the best source for Americans to figure out the truth from the spin regarding news.
They've got a good line on Obama's pomposity, Biden's off the cuff yapping, the Democrats inability to coalesce, the Republican craziness and the media's abdication of responsibility on a whole host of matters.

imokyrok

They've got a good line on Obama's pomposity, Biden's off the cuff yapping, the Democrats inability to coalesce, the Republican craziness and the media's abdication of responsibility on a whole host of matters.
wot he said :D

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies