• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Dart sums up the state of this country

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
I was heading out to town last night and arrived at my local Dart station at around half 10. Grand job, only had to wait about 7 minutes. Along comes the Dart and it is the longest possible carriage imaginable. I wait for the Dart at the top of the platform and as I board, there is no one in it. All good and it was a safe and pleasant ride to Tara Street station, and a grand night was had by all in Coppers.

However, on the weekdays, it is a different story. I always get the Dart into town to go to college and as one would expect, there's a myriad of people going to college and work and what not. The Dart carriage however, is sometimes very small. I would reckon the train coming from the South side towards Connolly I last boarded was about half the size of the one I hoped on last night.

It does be absolutely jammers in the mornings and you can hardly move (no chance of getting a seat, and a lot of people don't give up their seats for the elderly). Can someone please explain why the longest possible carriages are used during the night, when on one is on the Dart, but short carriages are used in the mornings, when there are people rushing to work, college, school and more? I have seen a lot of people unable to board the Dart in the mornings, because there is no room at all to get on. I'd say there's a health and safety risk somewhere along the lines. I am not sure the Dart was built to have peoples faces nearly smudged into the windows.

Anyone else travel by Dart in the mornings and have to put up with this nonsense? I am not sure if the problem is similar coming from the Northside towards town, but from the South side, it's an asinine problem, it really is.

artfoley56

#firstworldproblems
#itsp.ienottwitter

the op makes a great point about the total lack of joined up thinking and foresight in this country

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
Jaysus, sorry. I didn't know the transport thread was only for train crashes and third world transportation systems.

#acorkwhorewouldn'tunderstandanyway :p

blokesbloke

I notice similar on the local trains here in Birmingham. I think it's because each set of three carriages can be used, so at rush-hour when services are more frequent they split them up to provide more capacity.

However they seem to use six carriages whenever they can at quieter times, even when it isn't necessary - which surely causes more electricity to be used and more wear and tear on the carriages.

blokesbloke

Jaysus, sorry. I didn't know the transport thread was only for train crashes and third world transportation systems.

It's the same in Cork anyway, except there's far too many donkeys at off-peak times and then there's a handful struggling when the social welfare offices open.

DeGaulle 2.0

Website
ga.wikipedia.org
I was heading out to town last night and arrived at my local Dart station at around half 10. Grand job, only had to wait about 7 minutes. Along comes the Dart and it is the longest possible carriage imaginable. I wait for the Dart at the top of the platform and as I board, there is no one in it. All good and it was a safe and pleasant ride to Tara Street station, and a grand night was had by all in Coppers.

However, on the weekdays, it is a different story. I always get the Dart into town to go to college and as one would expect, there's a myriad of people going to college and work and what not. The Dart carriage however, is sometimes very small. I would reckon the train coming from the South side towards Connolly I last boarded was about half the size of the one I hoped on last night.

It does be absolutely jammers in the mornings and you can hardly move (no chance of getting a seat, and a lot of people don't give up their seats for the elderly). Can someone please explain why the longest possible carriages are used during the night, when on one is on the Dart, but short carriages are used in the mornings, when there are people rushing to work, college, school and more? I have seen a lot of people unable to board the Dart in the mornings, because there is no room at all to get on. I'd say there's a health and safety risk somewhere along the lines. I am not sure the Dart was built to have peoples faces nearly smudged into the windows.

Anyone else travel by Dart in the mornings and have to put up with this nonsense? I am not sure if the problem is similar coming from the Northside towards town, but from the South side, it's an asinine problem, it really is.

The Psychological Effects of Commuting in Dublin

callas

Bet you it was jammers in coppers?

Seriously , I would imagine that all carriages , long and short , are in operation , at high frequency ,at rush hour. And that on a Saturday night they may use one or two long carriages every half an hour. The train you caught may have been quiet , but the same train may have been full on its outbound sections of its route, especially if it was the last train home? Anyway , you mustnt have scored in coppers if this is what is ocupying your thoughts?

Last edited:

callas

The problem with trains in cork is that they are full of langers.

S

Science Ninja

Clearly the station employees are not pushing you into the carriage with sufficient force.

Mr Aphorisms

Twitter
crimesofbrits
Bet you it was jammers in coppers?

Seriously , I would imagine that all carriages , long and short , are in operation , at high frequency ,at rush hour. And that on a Saturday night they may use one or two long carriages every half an hour. The train you caught may have been quiet , but the same train may have been full on its outbound sections of its route, especially if it was the last train home? Anyway , you mustnt have scored in coppers if this is what is ocupying your thoughts?
It was Jammers in Coppers last night. They actually had good music at the start for a change, bit of Tinie and David Guetta belting out. Of course, Coppers' nasty side came out when the Ketchup song and all was put on. I don't know why I go to it, I actually hate it, not to mention the ATM machines inside it that you always end up using.

It's a fair enough point about rush hour and I already went over that before, but still, it's a bit of a joke to see a few carriages at half 8 in the morning and people not being able to board the Dart. We were going to build the underground Dart and all. Probably best to sort out the current Dart systems in the mornings.

And no, I didn't score last night. Awful cretins there last night. Sausage fest as well, especially when I got there at around half 12. Good thing about the place though is you can get in to it at around 3 in the morning, even later.

TheWexfordInn

Perhaps there are insufficient carriages available to have long trains on all of the frequent services that run in rush hour but there are enough carriages available to have these long trains on the less frequent services running off peak.

firefly123

At least it isn't like this.... Yet.
[video=youtube;b0A9-oUoMug]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0A9-oUoMug&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

gatsbygirl20

It was Jammers in Coppers last night. They actually had good music at the start for a change, bit of Tinie and David Guetta belting out.

Of course, Coppers' nasty side came out when the Ketchup song and all was put on.

I don't know why I go to it, I actually hate it, not to mention the ATM machines inside it that you always end up using.

And no, I didn't score last night.

Awful cretins there last night.

Sausage fest as well, especially when I got there at around half 12.

Good thing about the place though is you can get in to it at around 3 in the morning, even later.

I think you could just as easily have started a thread: "Coppers Sums Up The State Of The Country"

I think Coppers might be at the root of the problem...

It sounds way worse than the Dart, anyway.

firefly123

It might be that CIE ran this long train late at night to reposition it for the morning rush.
Stop it! No logic! It was a communist plot to subvert the state.