The death of Centrism in Northern Ireland politics?

McSlaggart

With the SDLP now looking for a border poll (1) what opportunities is their left for those who seek a "middle way" in "Northern Ireland" ?

1:
"Colum Eastwood said the planned withdrawal had made a border poll a lot more winnable.

EU leaders have agreed if there is a vote for a united island then Northern Ireland can automatically rejoin the bloc.

Mr Eastwood said: "I think there is now a route for actually winning a border poll.

"I think that we need to have one after Brexit, when the dust settles."

SDLP leader calls for post-Brexit referendum on united Ireland - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

Strawberry

I would say calling for a border poll is the middle way. Refusing to allow people a vote, or insisting that Ireland should be united without a referendum would be the two extremes.

GDPR

I think a Fianna Fail and DUP coalition actually has the potential to be very good for the country. There is a strong chance that they would bring out each other's strengths.

At the moment Sinn Fein and the DUP just seem to be bringing out each other's weaknesses.

Franzoni

I think a Fianna Fail and DUP coalition actually has the potential to be very good for the country. There is a strong chance that they would bring out each other's strengths.
Not to mention good for the banking system in the Isle of Mann and other out of the way locations....:D

hollandia

I would suggest the growth of Alliance, and the Greens, and their relative success in the assembly elections last time out would mean that centrism isn't dead at all. In NI terms, I wouldn't consider the SDLP or UUP to be centrist per se.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
With the SDLP now looking for a border poll (1) what opportunities is their left for those who seek a "middle way" in "Northern Ireland" ?

1:
"Colum Eastwood said the planned withdrawal had made a border poll a lot more winnable.

EU leaders have agreed if there is a vote for a united island then Northern Ireland can automatically rejoin the bloc.

Mr Eastwood said: "I think there is now a route for actually winning a border poll.

SDLP leader calls for post-Brexit referendum on united Ireland - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk
The SDLP harbours almost as many outbreedems as Sinn Féin.

GDPR

No one forced the Prods to indulge in the sin of contraception. They did it of their own accord and now the price of doing so is something that will soon have to be paid. It should serve as a warning to all. During the Fleg drama I told Fleggers to their face that instead of attacking Alliance Party offices they should instead be going after chemists proffering contraception. In justice though to the Free Presbyterians they do tend to be thran against artificial contraception.

theloner

In what fecking world is the UUP a centrist party? Crikey.

belfast1981

1:

The issue in regards to a border poll (I don't object to one personally) is that the criteria set forth in the GFA has not been met, and still seems a long way from being met. I think talk of a border poll (for now) is premature, and should not happen until after Brexit deal is complete, then if sufficient people in NI object to the deal then border poll should be considered, again if set forth in the GFA.

As for centralist parties, Alliance?

The problem with border polls? It is hard to take Nationalists seriously when it comes to it. Both SDLP and SF only wheel it out when there is an election and you hear squat in between times they are not out door to door and on TV with election pledges. I've said before I would welcome every party at my door in the event of one. I plan on asking MANY questions as to how Northern Ireland will be fitted into the established 26 county Ireland to form a 32 county UI.

Sadly, just like Brexit. Those calling for a UI vote are all UI now, work out how after 9Or say not our problem, its the governments.

InsideImDancing

At the moment Sinn Fein and the DUP just seem to be bringing out each other's weaknesses.
They'd bring the money out of your pocket and go and buy themselves sweeties, fek sakes..

Last edited:

Windowshopper

What does the OP mean by centrism? How is calling/not calling a border poll indicate centrism?

Centrism never had much of a run in NI. The UUP were for much of their existence to the right of the Tories.

Centrism is probably at its strongest in NI in someway both SF and the UUP have tried to move to the centre in either reality or impression. While the SDLP and Alliance are still hanging about.

GDPR

On what planet is standing by an international treaty and its enactment in domestic law not centrism?

Jesus wept in the boozer.

mac tíre

I'm far from an SDLP fan but where did you get that nonsense from?

The route he is talking about is Brexit and its potential devastating effects. You are obviously under the impression that no person who favoured the Union before Brexit are unwilling to change their minds. How quaint.

He is calling for a provision within the GFA to be enacted because our circumstances are about to change. Neither now or in the next two years will Catholics have any voting majority, so he is obviously hoping to win over former Unionists/those who had no position on the basis of Brexit. Where is the 'out breeding' in that?

You are just throwing out slogans here, Toland. It's a knee jerk reaction from you - and others in the 26 counties recently. Nationalists call for a border poll - to be met with calls of 'stop trying to out breed people'. :roll:
And, even then, they are told that if one is called they must await the permission of their opponents. :roll:

Yet, Nationalists are abiding by the GFA here. It is you (by your strange out breeding claim in an effort to thwart it) and some others who are trying to change the parameters of what was voted on and agreed by the people of Ireland, a number of governments and the International community.

You can shout all you want; we want what we are fully entitled to have. There is nothing you can do about it. There is nothing you will do about it. I suggest you get used to it.

New Threads

Most Replies