• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The Death of Chocolate as we know it?

yehbut_nobut

nooooooooooo....!

BBC News - Kraft Foods completes Cadbury takeover

US firm Kraft Foods has sealed its takeover of Cadbury after shareholders in the UK chocolate maker voted in favour of the deal.

Cadbury said it had received valid acceptances of the offer from investors representing 71.7% of the firm.

Kraft chief executive Irene Rosenfeld said: "I warmly welcome Cadbury employees into the Kraft Foods family."

Earlier, Cadbury workers had staged protests in London calling for government support to guarantee jobs.

The deadline for Cadbury shareholders to accept a £11.5bn ($18.9bn) offer from Kraft was 1300 GMT.

Business Secretary Lord Mandelson will meet Ms Rosenfeld later to discuss jobs.
I've said it before - they'll take my Curly-Wurly from my cold dead hands.

CookieMonster

yehbut_nobut

yep - I asked that question too. Goodbye to all this...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJGsDKKFA18"]YouTube- Fógra Cadbury as Gaeilge/Irish Cadbury Advert[/ame]

We'll be stuck with that horrid UK vannilla stuff, or worse, those little sheep turds that pass for chocolate but taste like vomit. hershey' kisses are they?

Last edited:
I see muppets buying into Brit centric view.

Funny how Nestle destroyed Rowntree........................NOT.

constitutionus

nestle.

makers of the worlds WORST easter eggs.

times like this makes me glad ive pretty much given up on chocolate. its never been the same since the macaroon bar went underground. :)

johnfás

It seems funny that people think Cadbury's will necessarily change their recipe simply because their ownership has passed to another set of shareholders. It is far more likely that initial changes will come at management, administrative and marketing levels. After that they may consolidate factories, which will possibly effect those who think Cadburys made in Ireland tastes better than that made in England. But then again it might not. But they aren't going to change their products - Kraft bought Cadbury's because of the brand and the product - they will want to preserve that. To destroy it would destroy their investment.

sarahj

yep - I asked that question too. Goodbye to all this...

YouTube- Fógra Cadbury as Gaeilge/Irish Cadbury Advert

We'll be stuck with that horrid UK vannilla stuff, or worse, those little sheep turds that pass for chocolate but taste like vomit. hershey' kisses are they?
:( I'm giving up Cadbury's having boycotted Nestle for a long while. Guess I will have to keep a supply of Green and Blacks or O Connaills chocolate in my handbag from now on lest my cravings get the better of me and I eat turd masquerading as chocolate.

I'm most disgusted that its Kraft and not any other nasty MNC - I mean all they've mastered over their yrs of work is plastic cheese *shudders*

sarahj

nestle.

makers of the worlds WORST easter eggs.

times like this makes me glad ive pretty much given up on chocolate. its never been the same since the macaroon bar went underground. :)
You can still get those in some places you know - they're made by Wilton Candy:

"The Macaroon Chocolate Bar is made by Wilton Candy in Co. Kildare, Ireland. Its description on the actual bar is "Macaroon pieces in Irish milk chocolate", The ingredients contain milk chocolate, desiccated coconut and vanillin. It was first made in 1937"

Macaroon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I bet you could order them by the box?

scratchnsniff

Its the cream eggs i worry about. I know they wont want to kill the 'golden egg'. Do they have cream eggs in America, do they understand their cultural and cullinary significance? Or will they spoil them by making them year round.
I may not sleep tonight.

cobalt

:( I'm giving up Cadbury's having boycotted Nestle for a long while. Guess I will have to keep a supply of Green and Blacks or O Connaills chocolate in my handbag from now on lest my cravings get the better of me and I eat turd masquerading as chocolate.

I'm most disgusted that its Kraft and not any other nasty MNC - I mean all they've mastered over their yrs of work is plastic cheese *shudders*
Cadbury has owned Green & Black since 2005... so now Kraft owns Green & Black.

constitutionus

You can still get those in some places you know - they're made by Wilton Candy:

"The Macaroon Chocolate Bar is made by Wilton Candy in Co. Kildare, Ireland. Its description on the actual bar is "Macaroon pieces in Irish milk chocolate", The ingredients contain milk chocolate, desiccated coconut and vanillin. It was first made in 1937"

Macaroon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I bet you could order them by the box?
oh ive got a source for my macaroon bars.

they may not be as prevelant in the spars/centras but most of the old school shops never let em go .

theyre just a bit smaller than they used to be, but thats par the course for pretty much everything now. one day im sure im gonna open a packet of tayto and it'll only have two crisps in it :)

sarahj

Cadbury has owned Green & Black since 2005... so now Kraft owns Green & Black.
Oh no, I'll have to give that up too. I guess O Connaills is my last safe haven...or else I'll have to kick my habit altogether.

Vega1447

Lidl's chocolate (check the ingredients) are far better and half the price of Cadburys.

The latter have veg fat added, Lidl's do not.

Deutches schocolat uber alles bitte...

yehbut_nobut

Lidl's chocolate (check the ingredients) are far better and half the price of Cadburys.

Ja, aber immer gibt es gibt zu viele Haselnüße drin!

Malbekh

I was with a friend last night whose family had a lot of experience with working for Cadbury's in Coolock. Apparently retailers in Canada and Mexico (not sure about the States) have a choice between buying Irish or English Cadbury's chocolate, because there is a difference in the taste.

The sheer cost of financing this acquisition ensures that there will be massive redundancies, and this sort of replication will come to an end.

What's important in this world, people or money?

Seems some people have clearly never travelled abroad as Coke, Pepsi, Nescafe, Magnum and countless other brands are tailored to each individual market depending on sweetness, palate and taste. Even in the US its based on regional variations.

forest

I was in centra recently and bought a Sknickers bar for 99c the "posh" chocolate bar on the other stand I noticed after my purchase was around 1,01€
I know which Id buy in future

Podolski1.5

anyone remember Urney's choclates - made in Dublin?

Hillmanhunter1

Absolutely. Lidl's chocolate is streets ahead of the British and American junk. Decent cocoa levels, 40% in the milk chocolate and up to 85% in the dark chocolate, are the key. Cadburys, Hersheys, Mars et al just bulk up their chocolate with filler ingredients.

Kilroy

Those lucky enough to have teeth left should be rejoicing...you'll save a fortune in dental charges with this takeover:D

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies