The death of Robert Kennedy 06/06/1968

redneck

Senator Robert Kennedy was shot on 5th June 1968 in the Ambassador hotel Los Angeles USA. He had just won the California Democratic primary. He died 26 hours later on the 6th June. He was the brother of the late John Kennedy, who was himself assasinated in 1963. Robert Kennedy was shot by a Palestinian sympathiser Sirhan Sirhan. Apparently he objected to Kennedy wearing a Jewish skull cap in support of Israel.
Robert Kennedy's death along with Martin Luther King- made 1968 a violent year. There were over half a million US troops in South Vietnam at the time. And there had been riots and unrest in the US. I don't know could RFK have sorted this all out. Personally I don't know how he could have won the Vietnam war. But he could have helped end communism much sooner and maybe even helped sort out the N.I situation here. RIP

Robert F. Kennedy biography | birthday, trivia | American U.S. Senator | Who2

Telstar 62

Murdered by a Palestinian - for his support of Israel in 1967,
after the Six Day War.:|

Strangely, the Irish American Kennedy fans don't like to mention
that too much....

They may be more in sympathy with the father - Joseph Kennedy,
the bootlegger and anti Semite....:shock:

redneck

The assasination occured on 5th June 1968. A year after the Arab/Israeli 6 day war. Robert Kennedy was a supporter of Israel.

between the bridges

Ever heard of the History forum, ye ballix...

fifilawe

Senator Robert Kennedy was shot on 5th June 1968 in the Ambassador hotel Los Angeles USA. He had just won the California Democratic primary. He died 26 hours later on the 6th June. He was the brother of the late John Kennedy, who was himself assasinated in 1963. Robert Kennedy was shot by a Palestinian sympathiser Sirhan Sirhan. Apparently he objected to Kennedy wearing a Jewish skull cap in support of Israel.
Robert Kennedy's death along with Martin Luther King- made 1968 a violent year. There were over half a million US troops in South Vietnam at the time. And there had been riots and unrest in the US. I don't know could RFK have sorted this all out. Personally I don't know how he could have won the Vietnam war. But he could have helped end communism much sooner and maybe even helped sort out the N.I situation here. RIP

Robert F. Kennedy biography | birthday, trivia | American U.S. Senator | Who2
and do you believe everything in print
maybe even helped sort out the N.I situation here. RIP
maybe is a huge word in the same category as if

yosef shompeter

I wonder have they got around to finding the motive behind his assassination.
IIRC the name of the assassin was Sirhan K Sirhan or some such name... from the middle east.
Was he in the pay of ??? Mafia ??? Teamsters??? some other crowd???

The Field Marshal

The Kennedy Brothers made an enormous number of personal enemies in particular Robert.
Their father Joe made even more enemies.

The peasant Irish retain a huge affection for these creatures because “Dey made it big in Merica despite being catlics and oirish.”

No matter the sordid and very real moral and other scandals that surrounded this family
“Dey are wan of our own and no brit or yank ken say otherwhyze”

Again all fine images and examples for the new secular
post catholic ireland.

davidcameron

Why did the Democrats fail to capitalise on "the sympathy vote" in the aftermath of RFK's murder?

Analyzer

Why did the Democrats fail to capitalise on "the sympathy vote" in the aftermath of RFK's murder?
Why did they end up being more sympathetic to Fatah, and softer on Hamas, even though RFK was killed by a Palestinian ?

Is it because they are cowards, once confronted (and bullies when not apprehended) ?

davidcameron

Why did they end up being more sympathetic to Fatah, and softer on Hamas, even though RFK was killed by a Palestinian ?

Is it because they are cowards, once confronted (and bullies when not apprehended) ?
The Republicans were also in favour of a two-State solution until they nominated Trump as their presidential candidate!

Skin the Goat

The number of one trick donkeys on this site is staggering.

Last edited:

Malcolm Redfellow

Website
redfellow.blogspot.com
Twitter
mredfellow
Typically the issue is presented as Sirhan's assertion to be protesting "twenty years of malice aforethought" (i.e. the life-time, as then, of the State of Israel). His defence team, however, argued for diminished responsibility — and there was enough in Sirhan's personal history to give that credibility.

Sirhan's 1989 interview with David Frost included the specific claim:
My only connection with Robert Kennedy was his sole support of Israel and his deliberate attempt to send those 50 bombers to Israel to obviously do harm to the Palestinians. I was not doing it out of personal malice toward the man, but out of concern for other people.

He was my hero. He was my champion.
Allow me to hunt down that canard.

RFK graduated from Harvard in 1948, and soon after was reporting for The Boston Post from the British Mandate of Palestine. He was notably sympathetic to the Israeli cause, and rode with Haganah reinforcements from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem. Of that he wrote:
If the brief but victorious military engagement on the Tel Aviv-Jerusalem road had not taken place, the Jewish cause would have suffered such a setback as to be virtually lost. If the Haganah had waited for May 15th and the withdrawal of British troops, there would be few alive in Jerusalem today.
As much as anything, this was regarded as RFK's break with his anti-semite father, Joe Kennedy. Even so, by 1953 RFK was back in the Joe Kennedy fold, working for six months for the McCarthyite hunt for Reds in any beds. The very best we can say is that young RFK was 'a black-and-white moralist' at this stage of his career.

Sirhan's specific grief was that, in 1968, Senator Robert Kennedy pressed President Johnson to support Israeli-PM Levy Eshkol's request to buy (not 'to be sent') 27 Skyhawks and 50 F-4 Phantom jets. France had stopped the sale of Mirage jets after the Six Days War. Both State (on the grounds of creating a military imbalance in the region) and the Defense (because they felt a greater need in Viet-Nam) Departments were reluctant to sell the F-4s. The initiative for the sale had come, not from RFK, but from Senator Stuart Symington (which might be vaguely because the planes were manufactured in his home State of Missouri). It was Election Year: Nixon and the GOP were enthusiastic to shift that military imbalance in favour of israel. The US had already sold Hawk missiles to Jordan.

Even so, because he was now on the stump across the country, RFK's support was what appeared in the media.

In Oregon, at Congregation Temple Neveh Shalom (26 May 1968), RFK said:
... the United States must defend Israel against aggression from whatever source. Our obligations to Israel, unlike our obligations towards other countries, are clear and imperative.
That was in the Californian press, with photograph, the following morning. On the basis of that, Sirhan made an entry in his journal:
Robert F. Kennedy must be assassinated before June 5, 1968.
The significance of that date was the anniversary of the Six Day War.

As I recall, there was very little thought of a Palestinian dimension until Sirhan's trial.

I'd reckon this post needs to be set against an appreciation of just what the RFK campaign of 1968 involved. Shall I attempt that in a follow-up? Or should I shut up?

LookWhoItIs

The Kennedy Brothers made an enormous number of personal enemies in particular Robert.

The peasant Irish retain a huge affection for these creatures because “Dey made it big in Merica despite being catlics and oirish.”

No matter the sordid and very real moral and other scandals that surrounded this family

post catholic ireland.
For someone who makes use of modern technology you seem stuck in the last century if not the one before - "peasant Irish" :roll: cop on ya f@cking eejit

Gurdiev77

post catholic ireland.
Oh get over yourself ye patronising git

raetsel

Personally I don't know how he could have won the Vietnam war. But he could have helped end communism much sooner and maybe even helped sort out the N.I situation here. RIP
I don't believe he that he ever believed he could win the war when 1968 came around. It has now become clear that by the mid-1960s the senior political establishment & American military top brass, led by Westmoreland, all already knew the war couldn't be won. Kennedy wanted to end the war and cut America's losses. Whether he could have is another matter. No American administration could have extracted the country from the Vietnam War at that stage without losing a huge degree of credibility in the wider world, so pulling out without victory was always going to be seen as a defeat - and a crushing blow to American self esteem, which is what finally happened anyway.
The presidency was a poisoned chalice by 1968, which I'd guess is one reason why Johnson didn't seek another term. Fear of being supplanted by Bobby Kennedy may well have been another.
For anyone interested in understanding the toxicity in the relationship between the two men this is a great read:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Mutual-Contempt-Johnson-Kennedy-Defined/dp/0393318559/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1528310992&sr=8-1&keywords=mutual+contempt

PC Principle

For someone who makes use of modern technology you seem stuck in the last century if not the one before - "peasant Irish" :roll: cop on ya f@cking eejit
TFM is right though, the peasant Irish mentality still prevails to this day in massive effect amongst its populous.

Always pandering for foreign approval and pats on the head. Being the best boy in the class is the first priority.

The obsession with being liked and approved of is most embarrassing.

Shur, they respect us. Shut the love us, shur they think we are great craic. Heart of Europe bejeysus.

It was the Irish that created the 'good room'. All for image. Such an insecure nation of people.

Forelock-tugging and knee-bending is the norm in Ireland when ever a foreigner is about.

Shur we have to bail out the banks, "what will the markets think?."

C.**** sucking has got the country into perennial strive.

Last edited:

Boy M5

The assasination occured on 5th June 1968. A year after the Arab/Israeli 6 day war. Robert Kennedy was a supporter of Israel.
That was Sihan Sihan's reason.

Jack Walsh

TFM is right though, the peasant Irish mentality still prevails to this day in massive effect amongst its populous.

Always pandering for foreign approval and pats on the head. Being the best boy in the class is the first priority.

The obsession with being liked and approved of is most embarrassing.

Shur, they respect us. Shut the love us, shur they think we are great craic. Heart of Europe bejeysus.

It was the Irish that created the 'good room'.

Forelock-tugging and knee-bending is the norm in Ireland when ever a foreigner is about.

Shur we have to bail out the banks, "what will the markets think?."

Khock sucking has got the country into perennial strive.
That's a lot of anger towards your country PC
What happened?
Did NAMA move on daddy and you had to actually work for a living?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies