The Demasculinisation of the Irish Male

fluffykontbiscuits

Just following on from another thread this was something I was ranting on facebook about a few weeks back. Has anyone noticed how demasculinised the modern Irish man has become? They are all awash with soaps and gels and christ they listen to Lady Gaga and drink West Coast Cooler and this is just the straight lads!

RIP The Irish Male 2000 onwards......

(PS This is a light hearted thread!)

picador

Just following on from another thread this was something I was ranting on facebook about a few weeks back. Has anyone noticed how demasculinised the modern Irish man has become? They are all awash with soaps and gels and christ they listen to Lady Gaga and drink West Coast Cooler and this is just the straight lads!

LOL we are just catching up with the rest of the Western world.

SevenStars

Yes.

Linked with their lack of gravitas.

ellie08

Yes! It's your lots fault (and the Sub Saharan boys too!)

borntorum

How long will it take Cael to (seriously) blame capitalism and landlords?

SevenStars

LOL we are just catching up with the rest of the Western world.
I think its especially bad here.

Maybe....I cant see Italian males getting that "emo" as you often observe here in Dublin.

Edo

Speak for yourself:D

that said - nothing wrong with a bit of soap and deodorant.

SevenStars

How long will it take Cael to (seriously) blame capitalism and landlords?
Capitalism is to blame....In that it over values perceived "mental" work over physical labour, that it feeds off immediate sensation and has a never ending search for new glitzly surfaces over substance.

Sean O'Brian

Hmm I was ridiculed by a bouncer for drinking Barcardi Breezer, after which I stuck to lager, cider or ale.

I didn't really like Lady Gaga much after Just Dance. She became too creepy and her whole act is derivative of Kim Wilde and Madonna.

Nothing wrong with staying clean. I have been ridiculed for using conditioner.

As for demasulinisation in general, I think cultural promotion of androgyny is driven in huge part by modern equalitarian ideology which seeks to make men and women (and everyone) equal not just in the economic sphere but ultimately in every way possible.

This article, which questions the social outcome of feminism, is good:

Confessions of a young anti-feminist

ellie08

Capitalism is to blame....In that it over values perceived "mental" work over physical labour, that it feeds off immediate sensation and has a never ending search for new glitzly surfaces over substance.
The former Soviet boys look in pretty good shape to me. Always in the gym Smell clean too, nice clothes (well most of them) so no you can't blame capitalism:D

subic

Maybe it has something to do with the sustained male bashing for the past 40 years.

SevenStars

The former Soviet boys look in pretty good shape to me. Always in the gym Smell clean too, nice clothes (well most of them) so no you can't blame capitalism:D
Wearing nice clothes and washing doesnt equal effeminacy.

Sean O'Brian

Also, allowance of homosexuality leads to a more effeminate society: since the culture cannot demand that all men behave in a masculine way, it will not demand that any of them do.

fluffykontbiscuits

Speak for yourself:D

that said - nothing wrong with a bit of soap and deodorant.
Im not clean shaven! I use a dash of brute the odd time (and Im only 28) , use a dash of deodrant but I know other blokes who practically bathe themselves in Joop, wear tight jeans (a personal pet hate of mine) among other things!

***Meant to use the word clean shaven*** my apologies I sound like a knacker there!

Interista

So having a shower every day is now somehow equal to 'demasculation' (sic)?

If that's the case, I'd say most Irish women would prefer to deal with 'demasculinised' men than someone who thinks wearing deoderant is 'gay'.

SevenStars

Also, allowance of homosexuality leads to a more effeminate society: since the culture cannot demand that all men behave in a masculine way, it will not demand that any of them do.
I think its to do also with the general collapse of any heroic quality within our society.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies