The Department of Education's inflexibility on school days lost to bad weather.

davidcameron

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/snow-shutdown-closed-schools-may-have-to-make-up-the-days-at-easter-or-another-time-36653023.html

SCHOOLS forced to close by the severe weather conditions may have to make up the days later in the school year.

It could affect the Easter holidays, or any mini-breaks that a school had planned to take in coming months.
Why punish teachers and pupils for something beyond their control?

If the curriculum is completed then what difference do the days lost because of bad weather make?

Would the Department really have the nerve to dock money from teachers' salaries for refusing to make up for lost days?

JimmyFoley

You think teachers and pupils will be in school during Easter holidays? Seriously?

making waves

Teachers always have and always will make sure that students will not lose out. At lunchtime today in the staff room teachers were discussing running extra lunchtime and evening lessons for examination classes (something that normally happens anyway in the few weeks before the exams) - with teachers actually talking to one another to see how we could timetable the different subjects for 40 minutes every lunch-break and for an hour in the evening. This will be starting next week when the schools re-open.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Newspaper looks for story, Government Department quotes de rule book, newspaper has story.

Prester Jim

I have given all my 5th and 6th year students updated work on google classroom and I know most of my colleagues have too. 3rd years know what they have to do too. The 1st and 2nd years are gonna have a ball though once they finish off their homework.
We will probably be paying back one or two days come Easter and fair enough TBH, we get oodles of time off because the kids get oodles of (necessary for a childhood) time off and anyone who resents it would want to work elsewhere for a while and see if complaining is reasonable.

Prester Jim

Teachers always have and always will make sure that students will not lose out. At lunchtime today in the staff room teachers were discussing running extra lunchtime and evening lessons for examination classes (something that normally happens anyway in the few weeks before the exams) - with teachers actually talking to one another to see how we could timetable the different subjects for 40 minutes every lunch-break and for an hour in the evening. This will be starting next week when the schools re-open.
Honestly that will probably be enough in most cases.

Spirit Of Newgrange

having trouble making up the lost academic days ?

just bin a few chapters from the Irish books - obviously. Nobody will notice the difference.

gatsbygirl20

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/education/snow-shutdown-closed-schools-may-have-to-make-up-the-days-at-easter-or-another-time-36653023.html

If the curriculum is completed then what difference do the days lost because of bad weather make?

Would the Department really have the nerve to dock money from teachers' salaries for refusing to make up for lost days?
I think the Dept are flexible and asked schools to make up the time by cutting back on other non-classroom activities and prioritising academic work so that students are properly prepared for exams

Some schools will make up the time by having a teach-in on one day over Easter for Leaving Certs, a Mock Oral day on Saturday, lunchtime classes, etc

But many schools do this already. When my son was doing his Leaving Cert there was a full Saturday given to Oral French preparation and another for the Irish Oral

The curriculum has to be covered one way or another

Watcher2

Ah now, teachers can't really be complaining. They have few days work in the year as it is. It's a bit OTT to be talking about "punishment".:lol:

davidcameron

I think the Dept are flexible and asked schools to make up the time by cutting back on other non-classroom activities and prioritising academic work so that students are properly prepared for exams

Some schools will make up the time by having a teach-in on one day over Easter for Leaving Certs, a Mock Oral day on Saturday, lunchtime classes, etc

But many schools do this already. When my son was doing his Leaving Cert there was a full Saturday given to Oral French preparation and another for the Irish Oral

The curriculum has to be covered one way or another
But isn't the curriculum usually covered before the Junior and Leaving Cert exams with a few weeks of classes to spare for revision anyway, thus leaving some space for days lost to be made up for?

Keeping exam students in class right to the end deprives them of valuable time for studying at home.

Prester Jim

But isn't the curriculum usually covered before the Junior and Leaving Cert exams with a few weeks of classes to spare for revision anyway, thus leaving some space for days lost to be made up for?

Keeping exam students in class right to the end deprives them of valuable time for studying at home.
I usually have the course covered by Easter for the 6th years and we just revise from then on. I have the 3rd years done since Xmas and we are doing the Coursework B at the moment, before and after that it will be revision. Not all subjects are as straighforward and some will have big deadlines for practical projects, typically they will be in late lots in March and April anyway though.
A lot of the need for extra is just psychological in fairness but whatever helps.

SayItAintSo

I have given all my 5th and 6th year students updated work on google classroom and I know most of my colleagues have too. 3rd years know what they have to do too. The 1st and 2nd years are gonna have a ball though once they finish off their homework.
We will probably be paying back one or two days come Easter and fair enough TBH, we get oodles of time off because the kids get oodles of (necessary for a childhood) time off and anyone who resents it would want to work elsewhere for a while and see if complaining is reasonable.
Easter holidays used to run from the Wednesday before Easter & then the week after. When did they change to 2 weeks as a matter of interest? I only realised the change when my own child started school a few years ago.

Clanrickard

:lol::lol::lol:

Clanrickard

And you have evidence to the contrary :roll:
Oh plenty. In service days and training days during the school year. Parent-Teacher meetings during working ours and best of all nice little breaks during the year as opposed to lengthening the summer holidays so teachers can go skiing (I was told this by one without a hint of embarrassment).

making waves

Oh plenty. In service days and training days during the school year. Parent-Teacher meetings during working ours and best of all nice little breaks during the year as opposed to lengthening the summer holidays so teachers can go skiing (I was told this by one without a hint of embarrassment).
The only Inservice and training days that take place during school hours are the ones for the new Junior Cert - All P/T meetings in my school take place after school hours.

Oh - and the Dept of Education set the school terms.

Of course - you ignore the fact that teachers in Ireland have more contact teaching hours than most European countries - students spend more hours in school than most European countries - and, as I said earlier, teachers repeatedly give extra classes for students at lunchtime and after school to assist them in exam preparation.

But none of this matters diddly-squat to you - all you want to do is have a little whinge-fest against teachers (with your cute little anecdotes).

gatsbygirl20

The curriculum is not always covered by Easter, alas. It depends. With cutbacks after the crash, and the present recruitment crisis in some subjects, Pass and Honours may be in the same class which slows everything down

Classroom revision with the teacher is also vital especially for the wide Honours programme. Students may have been absent when the original work was done in 5th year

Or, something else I have noticed....Students--and their brains--mature and develop in those crucial 2 years

Some students are not really engaged at all in 5th year when the initial work is being covered

It is during revision at the end of 6th year that the whole thing "clicks" because the student has developed intellectually, and is also bringing his full focus to bear on the subject now that the exam is close

There are no hard and fast rules. Losing school days with Leaving Cert Honours students is a bummer and increases the pressure on everybody. One way or another, the work will have to be done

Prester Jim

Easter holidays used to run from the Wednesday before Easter & then the week after. When did they change to 2 weeks as a matter of interest? I only realised the change when my own child started school a few years ago.
Because the holidays stop earlier now after the summer. Used to be a few days into September when we went back when I was in school in the 80s, now we are usually back about 21-24th August when you include a day or two of meetings.

Prester Jim

The only Inservice and training days that take place during school hours are the ones for the new Junior Cert - All P/T meetings in my school take place after school hours.

Oh - and the Dept of Education set the school terms.

Of course - you ignore the fact that teachers in Ireland have more contact teaching hours than most European countries - students spend more hours in school than most European countries - and, as I said earlier, teachers repeatedly give extra classes for students at lunchtime and after school to assist them in exam preparation.

But none of this matters diddly-squat to you - all you want to do is have a little whinge-fest against teachers (with your cute little anecdotes).
People who would be rightly ashamed of their ignorance on a multitude of subjects feel absolutely no shame exposing their complete lack of knowledge when it comes to the PS in general and teaching particularly. Some otherwise intelligent people (not including Clanrickard here obviously) actually revel in making stupid, crass generalisations about teaching on p.ie.
I am sure there are a variety of reasons (a few had bad experiences in the 80s or before and can't accept the massive changes) but for most it is down to resentment and envy, some like my own brother try to blame every sh1tty thing that has happened in their life on someone else and teachers are an easy target as everyone feels they knew a crap one.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies