The Department of the Taoiseach and the €2.10 photos.

O

Oscurito

So, the Taoiseach billed the tax payer two point one yoyos for having a few photographs developed. No laws were broken, everything was perfectly above board but it does indicate a certain mentality amongst our elected representatives - a sense of entitlement that they're due every red cent.

I lived the expenses life in my younger days, being sent abroad for weeks at a time and being told to hold onto all receipts. And indeed I did for hotel rooms, restaurant meals etc. But for a sandwich here and a bar of chocolate there, I'd be too embarrassed to be presenting them for reimbursement when I'd get back to the head office in Dublin.

Politicians seem to operate according to a different ethos.

PIC UP THE TAB: Taoiseach Enda Kenny billed taxpayer €2.10 for getting photos developed despite earning €185k a year

EDIT AT 10:40 ON 07-MAR-2017
PLEASE NOTE THE CLARIFICATION BELOW FROM HIDING BEHIND A POSTER
People demanded that all governmental expenses be vouched, regardless of how small, so that everything would be open and transparent. Now they give out about vouched expenses. Furthermore, it's worth looking at the actual reply and data supplied by the Dept of an Taoiseach to the question about photography, from which it's patently obvious that these expenses are departmental ones, which shouldn't come out of the relevant salary - if they do, where do you stop?:

https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2016-12-13a.75

Last edited:

Disillusioned democrat

The daft thing about it is that the effort to keep the receipt and process the claim probably took more time in a way that outvalues the 2 Euro claimed.
That's why we also pay for the Taoiseach to have administrative support....someone to process the claims for him...tax payer funded resource to screw the tax payer.

jmcc

What else could one expect from a grotty little creep like Kenny and his ilk. All that Public Service means for people like him is their snouts in the trough.

ruserious

Wouldn't it be better to have a say €3000 miscellaneous expense pot to cover such items over a year than having the Taoiseach waste time dealing with these expenses.

kimari

Twitter
dont like it
there you have the difference between enda and the photo one is developed

Roll_On

I dunno, I'd count them because the small receipts add up and before you know it you're broke. Then again if I were on EKs wage I probably wouldn't give a toss.

Spanner Island

If it was to do with his job and within expenses rules... I've no issue with this.

If it wasn't then I do.

I am wondering though... how many photos can you get developed for €2.10?

O

Oscurito

The daft thing about it is that the effort to keep the receipt and process the claim probably took more time in a way that outvalues the 2 Euro claimed.
Wouldn't it be better to have a say €3000 miscellaneous expense pot to cover such items over a year than having the Taoiseach waste time dealing with these expenses.
Some sort of petty cash fund for expenses less than some low threshold would make sense. It would save time and wages on processing reimbursements for every penny sweet and packet of chewing gum. But I still think there should be a culture whereby they shouldn't be claiming for such minor items.

Nitrogen

I hadn't realised people still got photos developed.

automaticforthepeople

That's great value, where can you get photos at that price? My daughter spent €8 getting 4 pictures taken for her passport. She's been robbed.

EoinMag

But I still think there should be a culture whereby they shouldn't be claiming for such minor items.
Not if it's on work time and justified.

Unlike yourself, I don't get embarrassed when eating and drinking and the expenses are justified and I do present them with everything possible in the end. I have no embarrassment asking for my money back from a faceless company who considers me a number.

gleeful

Unvouched expenses you say? That would end well.

O

Oscurito

Not if it's on work time and justified.

Unlike yourself, I don't get embarrassed when eating and drinking and the expenses are justified and I do present them with everything possible in the end. I have no embarrassment asking for my money back from a faceless company who considers me a number.
I did say that I sought reimbursement for restaurant meals but a bar of chocolate or a can of soft drink? Come on......! The hassle of getting a receipt, holding on to it, filling out the form.....I had and have better things to do with my life.

Socratus O' Pericles

I worked in the public service for a bit and the auditors had made getting anything out of petty cash a virtual impossibility. Still this looks bad shocking but not surprising I'd say.

ShinnerBot No.32564844524

That's why we also pay for the Taoiseach to have administrative support....someone to process the claims for him...tax payer funded resource to screw the tax payer.
You'd think that would be tied in to the administrative funding for the running of the Taoiseach's office then, doesn't really make sense as Kenny's expenses are exclusively related to his own costs incurred. You'd hope that Kenny is too busy to be worrying about 2 euro expenses he incurred himself.

gerhard dengler

So, the Taoiseach billed the tax payer two point one yoyos for having a few photographs developed. No laws were broken, everything was perfectly above board but it does indicate a certain mentality amongst our elected representatives - a sense of entitlement that they're due every red cent.

I lived the expenses life in my younger days, being sent abroad for weeks at a time and being told to hold onto all receipts. And indeed I did for hotel rooms, restaurant meals etc. But for a sandwich here and a bar of chocolate there, I'd be too embarrassed to be presenting them for reimbursement when I'd get back to the head office in Dublin.

Politicians seem to operate according to a different ethos.

PIC UP THE TAB: Taoiseach Enda Kenny billed taxpayer €2.10 for getting photos developed despite earning €185k a year
You said it yourself. Entitled.

We, the electorate, grant all entitlements to politicians. So it's a tad churlish to complain about when politicians exercise that entitlement.

The real question here is - should politicians be afforded entitlements such as the one's you have highlighted?

Between 2005-2008, Kenny pocketed €676,000 in unvouched expenses courtesy of the Irish taxpayer.
https://thestory.ie/2009/10/15/tdsenator-expenses-2005-2008/

I have no doubt that Mr.Kenny and vast majority of the bought and paid for political whores who occupy the Oirechtas claim every single cent that they and their lackies are "entitled" to.

Orbit v2

He should've got Inkjet O'Snodaigh to print them out for him...

You'd be curious to see the photo though.

Last edited:

Betson

There was a story about expenses in one of the papers a few years about how politicians and top civil servants were really taking the Micky with their expenses , one of them was a top civil servant earning huge bucks and always traveling first class and staying in 5 star hotels etc , part of his itemized expenses sheet was a one pound tip he gave to bell boy in a hotel in London , how mean do you have to be tip so low even at that claim it back on expenses. But as the OP mentioned it is just the mentality of these people,

New Threads

Most Replies