The Difference Between Rationality and Intelligence

Draoi

People exaggerate the importance of intelligence to excuse their mental laziness and poor choices to themselves. Your level of intelligence is decided by a number of factors before birth; therefore it can't be your fault if you're not intelligent, and thus your poor choices may be excused.

However, studies show that those of significantly above-average intelligence are no more likely to be rational than people of average intelligence - in fact they are less likely to be rational in some cases. Anyone not suffering a cognitive disability is capable of significantly improving their rational faculty through study and practice.

ARE you intelligent — or rational? The question may sound redundant, but in recent years researchers have demonstrated just how distinct those two cognitive attributes actually are.

Wrong. In a series of studies, Professor Stanovich and colleagues had large samples of subjects (usually several hundred) complete judgment tests like the Linda problem, as well as an I.Q. test. The major finding was that irrationality — or what Professor Stanovich called “dysrationalia” — correlates relatively weakly with I.Q. A person with a high I.Q. is about as likely to suffer from dysrationalia as a person with a low I.Q. In a 2008 study, Professor Stanovich and colleagues gave subjects the Linda problem and found that those with a high I.Q. were, if anything, more prone to the conjunction fallacy.

Based on this evidence, Professor Stanovich and colleagues have introduced the concept of the rationality quotient, or R.Q. If an I.Q. test measures something like raw intellectual horsepower (abstract reasoning and verbal ability), a test of R.Q. would measure the propensity for reflective thought — stepping back from your own thinking and correcting its faulty tendencies.

There is also now evidence that rationality, unlike intelligence, can be improved through training. In a pair of studies published last year in Policy Insights From the Behavioral and Brain Sciences, the psychologist Carey Morewedge and colleagues had subjects (more than 200 in each study) complete a test to assess their susceptibility to various decision-making biases. Then, some of the subjects watched a video about decision-making bias, while others played an interactive computer game designed to decrease bias via simulations of real-world decision making.

Professor Morewedge and colleagues found that the computer training led to statistically large and enduring decreases in decision-making bias. In other words, the subjects were considerably less biased after training, even after two months.
The decreases were larger for the subjects who received the computer training than for those who received the video training (though decreases were also sizable for the latter group). While there is scant evidence that any sort of “brain training” has any real-world impact on intelligence, it may well be possible to train people to be more rational in their decision making.

It is, of course, unrealistic to think that we will ever live in a world where everyone is completely rational. But by developing tests to identify the most rational among us, and by offering training programs to decrease irrationality in the rest of us, scientific researchers can nudge society in that direction.
read the full article at

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/opinion/sunday/the-difference-between-rationality-and-intelligence.html?_r=0

Notachipanoaktree

People exaggerate the importance of intelligence to excuse their mental laziness and poor choices to themselves. Your level of intelligence is decided by a number of factors before birth; therefore it can't be your fault if you're not intelligent, and thus your poor choices may be excused.

However, studies show that those of significantly above-average intelligence are no more likely to be rational than people of average intelligence - in fact they are less likely to be rational in some cases. Anyone not suffering a cognitive disability is capable of significantly improving their rational faculty through study and practice.

read the full article at

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/18/opinion/sunday/the-difference-between-rationality-and-intelligence.html?_r=0
Professor Stanovich brother of Sister Stano: Professor of Budget Acquisition, Grade Inflation Justification, and Lousy Attitude Building at UCD

Hunter-Gatherer

you meet two girls at a bar. They are friends. Both single. One is ugly, the other is cute. Rationality tells you to try to isolate the cute one and close the deal. Intelligence tells you the nicer you are to the ugly one, the better your chances get with the cute one.

TedHankey

The structure of our society lends a distinct advantage to those who do not think in a rational way, or at least learn to ignore or suspend their rational functionalities in favour of compliance and conformity. There is a rationality in being irrational in ways.
Great thread!

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
The structure of our society lends a distinct advantage to those who do not think in a rational way, or at least learn to ignore or suspend their rational functionalities in favour of compliance and conformity. There is a rationality in being irrational in ways.
Great thread!
Many, if not most highly successful people are not characterised by conformity. It's usually the opposite.

TedHankey

Many, if not most highly successful people are not characterised by conformity. It's usually the opposite.
Depends on your usage of the word successful. Example or two?

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Depends on your usage of the word successful. Example or two?
By successful I mean people who have stood out in whatever field they have chosen. What other meanings are there? Examples? Gates, Branson, Picasso etc.

Draoi

I stopped at "poor choices".

Admit it OP, you mean smart is rich :)
I meant what I said, and that isn't what I said. That's simply what you choose to infer (without bothering to substantiate your claim or demonstrate how you came to that conclusion).

I certainly wouldn't define a poor choice solely as financially disadvantageous, and a good choice solely as financially advantageous. And had you bothered to read my post, you'd know that I don't think that 'smart' is necessarily good.

Rationality is good. Irrationality is bad. You don't have to be 'smart' to learn how to be rational.

Last edited:

GDPR

I meant what I said, and that isn't what I said. That's simply what you choose to infer (without bothering to substantiate your claim or demonstrate how you came to that conclusion).

I certainly wouldn't define a poor choice solely as financially disadvantageous, and a good choice solely as financially advantageous.
Well pardon me.

What would yo define as a poor choice then?

After that we'll move on to the poor choices made by smarties and thickies. :)

Draoi

Define rational and irrational.

You know. like smarties do.
'Smarties' do not necessarily know the difference between rational and irrational, as you'd know if you bothered to read the OP.

A rational choice is one based on or in accordence with logic, and an irrational choice is one not based on or in accordance with logic.

Logic is a demonstratable universal organized formal system of reasoning or thought.

GDPR

you meet two girls at a bar. They are friends. Both single. One is ugly, the other is cute. Rationality tells you to try to isolate the cute one and close the deal. Intelligence tells you the nicer you are to the ugly one, the better your chances get with the cute one.
Did your fifteen year old cousin tell you that ?

GDPR

'Smarties' do not necessarily know the difference between rational and irrational, as you'd know if you bothered to read the OP.

A rational choice is one based on or in accordence with logic, and an irrational choice is one not based on or in accordance with logic.

Logic is a demonstratable universal organized formal system of reasoning or thought.
So smarties and thickies are both illogical.

According to your system.

Next ...

Draoi

So smarties and thickies are both illogical.

According to your system.

Next ...
That's not what I said. What I said was "Smarties' do not necessarily know the difference between rational and irrational".

In other words, rationality and intelligence are two different things. Rationality is not dependant on intelligence - those of average intelligence and those of above average inteligence are equally likely to make rational decisions. With study and practice, anyone can improve their ability to make rational decisions. This is according to the article I posted in the OP, which cites a number of studies.

You seem to have serious comprehension problems.

GDPR

That's not what I said. What I said was "Smarties' do not necessarily know the difference between rational and irrational".

In other words, rationality and intelligence are two different things. Rationality is not dependant on intelligence - those of average intelligence and those of above average inteligence are equally likely to make rational decisions. With study and practice, anyone can improve their ability to make rational decisions. This is according to the article I posted in the OP, which cites a number of studies.

You seem to have serious comprehension problems.
Nope.

This rationality thing - how does that work?

Think about it. I m not buying your perfect logical system.

Draoi

Nope.

This rationality thing - how does that work?

Think about it. I m not buying your perfect logical system.
You're the one that needs to think about it.

Think - how did you come to the conclusion that what I'm saying is false? How do you judge between true and false?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies