The Driver behind me is texting his mates , i can see it in my mirror

Spirit Of Newgrange

So, you are stopped in some traffic. Look in your mirror and lo and behold, another texter staring into his lap for 30 seconds and briefly glancing up for traffic updates. The traffic snakes forward and he is now 20 yards behind the pace until the fella behind him beeps. Or you are behind one of these eejits. Easy to spot - the lights go green and the other 4 cars move and the car in front of you is stationary - forcing you to miss your turn and wait another while at a red.

And so just a few questions :

1. Can i trust this fella not to text when driving at speed , behind me ?
2. Am i being a mug by tolerating a crash-risk just behind me ?
3. Do i wait for the Gardai to fly in to save the day ?
4. Do i put a sign on the back of my car, 'you text, and i drive extra slowly (forgetting to spot that green light on time)' ?

This thread is not about manners or attitude but it is about saving lives on our roads. So please keep the discussions polite and respectful at all times.

Texting and Driving Statistics
Wisconsin mom acquitted in crash that killed 3 kids
https://www.guardchild.com/distracted-driving-statistics/

blokesbloke

1. Clearly not, no.

2. No. There's shag all you can do about it.

3. You could, but it's highly unlikely it'll happen.

4. If you want, but I doubt it'll help.

So, you are stopped in some traffic. Look in your mirror and lo and behold, another texter staring into his lap for 30 seconds and briefly glancing up for traffic updates. The traffic snakes forward and he is now 20 yards behind the pace until the fella behind him beeps. Or you are behind one of these eejits. Easy to spot - the lights go green and the other 4 cars move and the car in front of you is stationary - forcing you to miss your turn and wait another while at a red.

4. Do i put a sign on the back of my car, 'you text, and i drive extra slowly (forgetting to spot that green light on time)' ?

This thread is not about manners or attitude but it is about saving lives on our roads. So please keep the discussions polite and respectful at all times.

Feel free to report him.

DaveM

Connect to him on Bluetooth. Then call him a bell end...

Watcher2

This happened to me the other day. Woman behind me texting. I have a slight phobia of getting bashed from behind so this makes me very uneasy. Luckily, there was no accident....this time. Colleague in work told me the other day of a similar situation where he was rear-ended due to a texter. Traffic is adjacent lane moved, but not my colleagues lane. Texter behind saw the adjacent traffic moving so decided all was clear. Set off and smacked into my colleague.

I'm not sure there is much else you can do in many situations. Get out of the way in time if you can is about the only thing you can do, or get out if stuck in traffic and ask them to stop texting while in control of their vehicle.

brughahaha

Feel free to report him.
A dedicated report line is a good idea . if the same reg keeps being reported the Garda
should call around for a chat

Problems with Irish driver behaviour is largely down to the lack of enforcement. Guards don't give a feck
and are as guilty as everyone else

Lúidín

All cars have a number plate at the front and rear.
The Gardaí have a phone number to ring.

How will you feel when you next read of a child or other person being killed by a selfish or stupid motorist? Make the call.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Get out of your car and put a brick through the windscreen. Then take the phone and call him a cúnt

blokesbloke

How will you feel when you next read of a child or other person being killed by a selfish or stupid motorist? Make the call.
It might be worth a try but from what I hear about the Gardaí they are similar or worse to UK police.

From experience - UK police will do nothing.

Unless the law is different in Ireland I wouldn't expect anything.

Still at least you've done all you can do then I suppose.

Mind you, if I rang the police for every driver I saw on a mobile phone when I'm on a bus or waiting for one, I'd be on the phone pretty much constantly passing dozens of registrations.

gleeful

The taxi man is probably texting "Jeasus the gobsh!te behind me is posting on politics.ie while he's driving".

blokesbloke

I remember once I took a black cab and the driver started texting.

I told him he could stop that right now when he was driving me, which he did to be fair.

Still, despite it being a black cab with a meter, when we were about a quarter of a mile from my house I noticed the fare was a good £5 higher than it should have been.

I told him he could stop there and I'd walk the rest of the way.

I wish now I'd taken his registration and put a complaint in.

Last edited:

Henry94.

Nearly as bad are people who pull in causing an obstruction to take a call. We should create a massive self-financing traffic corps to sort out our outrageous driving habits once and for all.

It would save lives and punish the evil-doers.

The Field Marshal

Get out of your car and put a brick through the windscreen. Then take the phone and call him a cúnt
And what would that solve?
People like you who actively promote road rage should be imprisoned for a lengthy period .
:roll:

Trampas

I have posted this one a few weeks ago on another thread. Van driver with phone under his chin and head at 45 degrees to keep it there. Clipboard resting on steering wheel and held with left hand. Pen in right hand as he scribbled away while talking. He had just taken a left turn although quite how I don't know.

This type of behaviour is now an epidemic. Anybody who doesn't believe this should check out other drivers while you are stopped at lights.

Watcher2

The call will do no good. No proof of anything. If you take a picture with your phone, you are as bad as culpable as the texter under the law. Plus, the picture would prove nothing other than the other driver was looking down at the time the picture was taken.

you really shouldn't guilt trip someone on such a folly. Very poor judgment on your part.

A Voice

I have posted this one a few weeks ago on another thread. Van driver with phone under his chin and head at 45 degrees to keep it there. Clipboard resting on steering wheel and held with left hand. Pen in right hand as he scribbled away while talking. He had just taken a left turn although quite how I don't know.

This type of behaviour is now an epidemic. Anybody who doesn't believe this should check out other drivers while you are stopped at lights.
Must be an excellent driver. In fairness.

brughahaha

See it everyday along with HGV Drivers responsible for a machine that weighs over 5 tonnes and driving it at 50kmph while on the phone
Or taking corners on the phone...... see it everyday down by the Port in Dublin. There'll be an accident with a huge loss of life eventually

Spirit Of Newgrange

like the heads of the Hydra, these texters are legion. I must see at least a dozen a day and i don't even use the car very much.

I want to put a snail symbol onto the back of my car with a mobile phone for a shell. You text, i will be a snail.

Spirit Of Newgrange

Nearly as bad are people who pull in causing an obstruction to take a call. We should create a massive self-financing traffic corps to sort out our outrageous driving habits once and for all.

It would save lives and punish the evil-doers.
Plain clothes cops. Heavy financial penalties and a few points on the driving licence. A massive hike in your insurance premium. Its the only language that many texting drivers will understand.

New Threads

Most Replies