The economic impact of an all-island economy

firefly123

Is the title of a paper to be released tomorrow by the Derry-based economist, Paul Gosling. In it, he assesses NI's economic underperformance in comparison to the Republic, and concludes that economic unification would best deliver regional development.

The economic impact of an all-island economy | Paul Gosling
excellent paper. full of very informative and pretty damning statistics.
I look forward to reading the well reasoned point by point rebuttals...:roll:

blinding

It would be great for the British economy . If they could incrementally reduce the money they are paying for the Mad House over 10 or 12 years they would have one hell of a Party .

gleeful

Northern Ireland would greatly benefit from Dublin rule. But so would the whole of the UK.

McTell

Twitter
No
Problem with the paper is the assumption that costs will be cut and our (southern) civil service will up its game to be "fit for purpose". Ouch!

Same as the vancouver paper reporting a huge surplus soon after unity. But again, nothing concrete for the man in the street to understand, in terms of money in, money out.

All very nice for the well-paid economic theorists and the pols slapping each other on the back. Meinherr Hubner being a Knight of the Red Branch Knights, of course, adds a bit of local colour.

http://prcg.com/modeling-irish-unification/report.pdf

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knights_of_the_Red_Branch_Inc

The Knights who say NI?

storybud1

Substantial efforts must be made to accommodate the fears and concerns of those who have a British or Ulster Scots identity throughout the island of Ireland in order that a successful unified economy is achieved.
yeah,, see the problem with that from the GetGo !

honestly, morons could see that can of worms at the beginning and just tell your man Gosling to stop waffling until and ONLY until that issue is addressed ,, you could not make these idiots up,

GDPR

Major panic from 26-countiers who are behind the Irish govts to prevent Apple paying more tax to Ireland... :D

JimmyFoley

Same stuff I've read countless times before.

It would really be better if people were just to admit that they don't have a clue how unity would pan out. There would be benefits; there would be drawbacks.

Fritzbox

It would really be better if people were just to admit that they don't have a clue how unity would pan out. There would be benefits; there would be drawbacks.
What drawbacks would they be? Was the partition of Cyprus a runaway economic success? Would Malta, New Zealand or Denmark gain economically from partition?

JimmyFoley

What drawbacks would they be? Was the partition of Cyprus a runaway economic success? Would Malta, New Zealand or Denmark gain economically from partition?
What drawbacks? Is that a serious question? Have you read the 'report'?

Fritzbox

No, why should I - in order to take part in the general discussion?

Fritzbox

:D

I don't know how to answer that!
Well I'm just glancing through it right now...

The island of Ireland, as a single economic jurisdiction would bring greater economic advantages - surely we can all agree upon that.
It's getting the political agreement beforehand which may prove 'problematic'.

JimmyFoley

Well I'm just glancing through it right now...

The island of Ireland, as a single economic jurisdiction would bring greater economic advantages - surely we can all agree upon that.
It's getting the political agreement beforehand which may prove 'problematic'.
Of course it could. I don't think anyone disputes that. The problem with all these reports is that the conclusions are based on assumptions that are, at best, tendentious.

Fritzbox

Of course it could. I don't think anyone disputes that. The problem with all these reports is that the conclusions are based on assumptions that are, at best, tendentious.
Which assumptions are tendentious?

D

Deleted member 17573

Is the title of a paper to be released tomorrow by the Derry-based economist, Paul Gosling. In it, he assesses NI's economic underperformance in comparison to the Republic, and concludes that economic unification would best deliver regional development.

The economic impact of an all-island economy | Paul Gosling
It's hardly real economic unification considering his very first point refers to continued UK financial support, possibly up until 2050!

JimmyFoley

Which assumptions are tendentious?
Any number.

Why, for example, would the IDA be as successful as he believes it would? Why does he believe we would be able to establish an NHS? Why would the Brits agree to pony up for another 30 years? And on and on...

rainmaker

Administrator
It would be great for the British economy . If they could incrementally reduce the money they are paying for the Mad House over 10 or 12 years they would have one hell of a Party .
Three or four years on a sliding reduction, five tops. No UK government is selling continued subvention for a decade or more and staying in government - the opposition of the day would crucify them.

New Threads

Most Replies