• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The electric multi-tester, more complicated than a vibrator/micro-tingler ?

Christine Murray

Website
www.poethead.wordpress.com

paulp

The Caped Cod

l have to admit l haven't learnt to use a sewing machine yet :-(
Really? I'm tryin to get Herself to teach me, but it turns out the actual sewing is the easiest part of making clothes, so apart from the odd tare (?) it doesn't seem to be alot of use.

paulp

Homebase are sexist it appears, with instructions for a multi-tester containing the exhoration that its so simple a woman could use it. lts not quite an angle-grinder or air-hammer but its complexity would *possibly* test our fragile abilities : Sexism row over store boast that a product was so simple even a woman could use it - Telegraph
sorry, just re-read this, and someone should definitely get sacked for this.
There is no way this was acccidental.
The offending slogan was on the instructions - and as we all know, men never read the instructions, so this was not only offensive to women, but also aimed at women

new jewell

The fact that children are being encouraged to mess with electrics is even more frightening and seems to have been overlooked .This product should be taken off the shelves.

myksav

jmcc

The fact that children are being encouraged to mess with electrics is even more frightening and seems to have been overlooked .This product should be taken off the shelves.
Fuses and light bulbs do not have to be connected to the electrical mains to be tested with such a device. But then that simple fact is probably lost on politically correct idiots who care more about teaching kids happy-clappy rubbish than simple engineering.

Regards...jmcc

Spacewagon

why is this an issue ?

Why do you seek to highlight this Dot ?

A company makes something which women will be able to use, and you lot get offended ?

Is there any pleasing ye ?

fiannafailure

Nonsense I took my first steps to a career in technology by taking a record player apart and experimenting with all of the weird sounds that could be produced by touching different parts of the circuit board, it only took one touch to the wrong connection to make me realise that electricity could bite and so a career was born

The RCD in a modern fuseboard makes electricity docile.

Spacewagon

Nonsense I took my first steps to a career in technology by taking a record player apart and experimenting with all of the weird sounds that could be produced by touching different parts of the circuit board, it only took one touch to the wrong connection to make me realise that electricity could bite and so a career was born

Continue with that attitude and you'll get yourself killed pretty quick. Electricity isn't docile, no matter how many safety features you use. Trust me

orbit

For circuits protected by an RCD, that's true. I wouldn't go sticking my fingers into a light socket though, to check it because it probably doesn't have an RCD on it .. Incidentally, a lot of people think a 13amp fuse will protect them. A tenth of an amp is enough to kill you - never mind 13.

macdarawhitfield

Well,dot,I am still struggling with so called 'low energy' light bulbs.And I have a Y chromosome - fat lot of use ,I can tell you.The wretched - and expensive - things cease to function after a week or so.Will this magic tester thing tell me why? No one else can.Meanwhile I stock upon the obsolete ones.

The OD

Fuses and light bulbs do not have to be connected to the electrical mains to be tested with such a device. But then that simple fact is probably lost on politically correct idiots who care more about teaching kids happy-clappy rubbish than simple engineering.

Regards...jmcc
Agreed JMCC - kids these days are shockingly ignorant of some of the most basic household chores like changing a bulb or a fuse because some clown thinks that it might be 'dangerous'.

fiannafailure

For circuits protected by an RCD, that's true. I wouldn't go sticking my fingers into a light socket though, to check it because it probably doesn't have an RCD on it .. Incidentally, a lot of people think a 13amp fuse will protect them. A tenth of an amp is enough to kill you - never mind 13.
I didn't mean to make light of the danger, however most electrical outlets are pretty tamper proof, I often wonder though have all of the little tingles I have received over the years influenced my decidedly upright hair, what little of it is left!!!

fiannafailure

Well,dot,I am still struggling with so called 'low energy' light bulbs.And I have a Y chromosome - fat lot of use ,I can tell you.The wretched - and expensive - things cease to function after a week or so.Will this magic tester thing tell me why? No one else can.Meanwhile I stock upon the obsolete ones.
Either you live in rural Ireland or you are turning them on and off too often, they are in essence fluorescent bulbs all folded up and with electronic ballasts and switch gear, be gentle with them

orbit

I often wonder though have all of the little tingles I have received over the years influenced my decidedly upright hair, what little of it is left!!!
Fair dues. A little tingle is all you'd want on a cold winter's evening like this ...

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies