The Emigration Advice thread

Schomberg

I may be joining people on the ferries in the not to distant future (did I just hear some cheers?) so i thought maybe those of you who've already up and left might be able to offer some advice to people going or thinking of going abroad?

It'll be the UK or some other English speaking country for me. Canada if a visa comes through. The thought of going to a place and having a language to master just doesn't sit well with me. I'd imagine I'm not alone on this.

So, any advise on moving to mainland UK or abroad? Trying to find a job before you leave seems like an impossibilty if you're not some outrageously well trained university graduate..

riven

I may be joining people on the ferries in the not to distant future (did I just hear some cheers?) so i thought maybe those of you who've already up and left might be able to offer some advice to people going or thinking of going abroad?

It'll be the UK or some other English speaking country for me. Canada if a visa comes through. The thought of going to a place and having a language to master just doesn't sit well with me. I'd imagine I'm not alone on this.

So, any advise on moving to mainland UK or abroad? Trying to find a job before you leave seems like an impossibilty if you're not some outrageously well trained university graduate..
Do not require English to live in Holland or most of northern Europe if the job is in English (i.e. science/engineering). You do need the local language if you are doing the trades however.

Cael

My advice is to stay in Ireland and help to fight the vermin oligarchy.

SideysGhost

Lots of friends/family living in Britain, visit there regularly - horrible place to live, loads of hidden taxes and charges, public services very poor, lots of aggressive attitudes to be waded through on a daily basis.

Canada now, that's a whole different matter, Toronto and Vancouver are great cities.

I feel you are cutting yourself off from a much more positive and enriching experience by ruling out the Continent though. Depends on your line of work but fluency in a local language is not always required - English is after all the universal language of business. Netherlands, Germany or Switzerland would be the obvious choices here.

Or for the truly exotic, Japan's demographics have opened up a fair few opportunities for an ambitious young gaijin.

Interista

Depends on your line of work but fluency in a local language is not always required - English is after all the universal language of business. Netherlands, Germany or Switzerland would be the obvious choices here.
English may be 'the universal language of business' but Dutch is the language of the Netherlands, GErman is the language of Germany, and so on. Of course most educated people in these countries speak very good English, but that doesn't mean they're happy to function in English for the benefit of a foreign worker. Of course, there are jobs where you genuinely don't need to know the local language, but I'd imagine you'd have to have some pretty sought-after credentials to persuade a Dutch or Swiss employer to take you on with no knowledge of the local language.

Scipio

Living in France, have lived in Germany, Spain and Holland.

My advice to you would be to stay in Ireland if it's at all possible. I've yet to find a country to match it, even with the weather. If you're obliged to leave however, then the best idea would be to find a country which best resembles the kind of place you like living in (urban or rural, are available services in your local proximity a priority etc. etc.) That could be anything from rural Australia, to urban Edmonton.

The choice is, obviously, yours to make.

SideysGhost

English may be 'the universal language of business' but Dutch is the language of the Netherlands, GErman is the language of Germany, and so on. Of course most educated people in these countries speak very good English, but that doesn't mean they're happy to function in English for the benefit of a foreign worker. Of course, there are jobs where you genuinely don't need to know the local language, but I'd imagine you'd have to have some pretty sought-after credentials to persuade a Dutch or Swiss employer to take you on with no knowledge of the local language.
I worked in Switzerland for 6 months a few years back with not a word of German, in IT.

YoungLiberal

I'd recommend any of the big US cities...Boston, New York, Chicago...

Or if you're looking for something less traditionally Irish look at Denver or Charelston. Still, if you're going to either of these I'd recommend having a job before you go. Actually I'd recommend that same for any of the first three unless you can swing a hurley, kick a football or are US qualified in a profession.

Interista

I worked in Switzerland for 6 months a few years back with not a word of German, in IT.
Good for you. I didn't say it wasn't possible to get a job without speaking the language, just that you need very sought-after skills to do so. Unless you have skills which can't be found in the host country, you'll likely have a hard time competing with locals who speak the local language, in addition to English and often one or more other languages too.

Goodbody

Don't ever come back. I came back to Ireland after 20 years away, and have regretted every second of it.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I'm thinking of getting out too.
A year or 2 in one of the Gulf states, if I can find an IT contract. I've heard Qatar is family-friendly with good english language schools and a thriving ex-pat scene. That should pay off the debts and get us ahead on the mortgage, with a few months' grace to find something else.
Then we can decide how we feel, whether we want to come back here or not.
It would be nice here if we had the mortgage paid off, with solar panels and a solid fuel stove to combat energy and ESB bills. Then I'd only have to work part-time.

Can anyone advise me on the middle east?

Interista

Can anyone advise me on the middle east?
I know that in the Gulf countries, IT jobs tend to be taken mainly by Egyptians or Indians who will work for a fraction of what a Westerner would demand. Most of these men are also on 'single status', which means the employer would not sponsor their familes or pay for their children's education. So, unless you have something very special to offer an employer, pickings might be pretty slim in the Gulf countries. Also, whatever line of work you're in, the days where spending a few years in the Gulf set you up for life seem to be a thing of the past.

Of course, the above is very general second- or third-hand information which may not be entirely accurate. Maybe contact some potential employers or seek out a relevant ex-pat forum for more detailed information.

Interista

Maybe time to dust out my TEFL then.
And your MA in Applied Linguistics/TESOL. Because without one you won't qualify for one of the better teaching jobs anywhere in the Gulf. Like I say, the days where just about anyone could land a high-paying job in the Middle East are long gone.

Interista

Saudi Education sector, at all levels is recruiting.
You might get a job teaching at a third-level college, but as I say, the better places in the Gulf demand a relevant MA. You have to be a Muslim to teach at state schools (not unis) in Saudi Arabia.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
I'm not taking them to Saudi.
Thanks for the feedback.
If I have to go on my own, I'll do it. We're in a hole at the moment.

Is there a "new middle east" anywhere in the world, where nice tax-free contracts are to be had?
I guess there's Iraq, but some things are worse than being poor.

Molly Maguire

Website
www.slotpb.com

Be care in England S, as many loyal friends of GB have found out, your just another paddy.

What the Fug

You might get a job teaching at a third-level college, but as I say, the better places in the Gulf demand a relevant MA. You have to be a Muslim to teach at state schools (not unis) in Saudi Arabia.
What about the international schools

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies