• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The End of Britain? Money Week's chilling warning

Happytolearn

I read this article

The End Of Britain

Lots of pretty scarey language used - could be seen as pretty sensationalist - but an interesting read all the same.

They're basically saying:

- Britain is third only to Japan and (rather depressingly) Ireland in its debt rate

- The welfare state, started by Llyod George in 1909 with a 5 shilling pension payment to males over 70, has spiraled out of control

- Successive governments since have promised more and more as the electorate will simply vote out those who attempt to fix the worsening problem. This results in political parties offering unaffordable 'cradle to grave' welfare.

- Growing population, increasing life expectancy, NHS costs and Britain's 'unfunded obligations' make its debts 900 billion

- In spite of the current Coalition's austerity scheme the debt is in fact increasing

- Debt is becoming endemic in every section of UK society

- Britain is broke and would have been made bankrupt long ago were it an individual. Once interest rates rise back to normal levels it won't be able to repay its debts. Interest rates are certain to rise significantly in the coming 30 years

- Since the IMF bailout in the 70's Britain's debt has multiplied 12 times over (I'm not sure if that's in real terms)

The article goes on to show a step by step guide to how the end could very possibly come - comparing the UK to Argentina.

Is it scaremongering? How much of it is irrefutable?

Ribeye

I'm goin out on a limb and calling Eastleigh for UKIP!

Clanrickard

I read this article

The End Of Britain

Lots of pretty scarey language used - could be seen as pretty sensationalist - but an interesting read all the same.

They're basically saying:

- Britain is third only to Japan and (rather depressingly) Ireland in its debt rate

- The welfare state, started by Llyod George in 1909 with a 5 shilling pension payment to males over 70, has spiraled out of control

- Successive governments since have promised more and more as the electorate will simply vote out those who attempt to fix the worsening problem. This results in political parties offering unaffordable 'cradle to grave' welfare.

- Growing population, increasing life expectancy, NHS costs and Britain's 'unfunded obligations' make its debts 900 billion

- In spite of the current Coalition's austerity scheme the debt is in fact increasing

- Debt is becoming endemic in every section of UK society

- Britain is broke and would have been made bankrupt long ago were it an individual. Once interest rates rise back to normal levels it won't be able to repay its debts. Interest rates are certain to rise significantly in the coming 30 years

- Since the IMF bailout in the 70's Britain's debt has multiplied 12 times over (I'm not sure if that's in real terms)

The article goes on to show a step by step guide to how the end could very possibly come - comparing the UK to Argentina.

Has been discussed before on p.ie. Swivel-eyed libertarian ranting.

rainmaker

Administrator
I read this article

The End Of Britain

It's not really an 'article' as such - It's a scary by design advert for their subscription service that they've used before - I actually had to check the date of the OP as this 'revelation' was also used & discussed last year.

Apparently subscribing will help you to avoid this nightmare scenario :roll:

Clanrickard

Happytolearn

It's not really an 'article' as such - It's a scary by design advert for their subscription service that they've used before - I actually had to check the date of the OP as this 'revelation' was also used & discussed last year.

Apparently subscribing will help you to avoid this nightmare scenario :roll:
I had read their 'Europe is going to end' article - They seem so sure of themselves and claim they've got previous crashes correct. I always get sucked in by colourful scary adverts.

stopdoingstuff

Maybe it is sensationalist but the kernel of truth is that no one can live beyond their means forever and the great era of consumption without production is coming to an end.

EndDiddlyaism

Happytolearn

Maybe it is sensationalist but the kernel of truth is that no one can live beyond their means forever and the great era of consumption without production is coming to an end.
What - for you - are the bits that cannot be challenged in the article?

Windowshopper

The article reads like a Daily Mail journalist who decided to write a piece while in the middle of a coke binge. . .

stopdoingstuff

What - for you - are the bits that cannot be challenged in the article?
i dont know but i do know what can be challenged. the debt figure of 500% of gdp includes financial debts that are offset by financial assets.

Aindriu

Most of it could have ben written about Ireland.

Cabbage/Turnip

I have been reading a lot about total debt the last few days- Ireland is 2 + trillion in debt. What impact will this ultimately have on Ireland?

When we balance the books I presume the government will have to start paying off the balance?

Regarding bank and public debt are we the public literally going to have to pay this back? 500 000 per person I read!

Have high can total debt go before we go kaput?

I am ignorant in this area but it just seems scary

Windowshopper

Is there any truth in it?
I don't know. I am not familiar with the British economy. All I do know is that I do not react positively to long-rambling advertisements based on fear.

EndDiddlyaism

I have been reading a lot about total debt the last few days- Ireland is 2 + trillion in debt. What impact will this ultimately have on Ireland?

When we balance the books I presume the government will have to start paying off the balance?

Regarding bank and public debt are we the public literally going to have to pay this back? 500 000 per person I read!

Have high can total debt go before we go kaput?

I am ignorant in this area but it just seems scary
No, we are not.

patfitzbally

on sat last I returned from a week visiting my daughter in devon.the pubs,shops,roads were all busy and unemployment is 7.8%(5.5 in devon) the people seemed reasonably happy despite a tightening of wage rates.i return to empty pubs even with the rugby being shown live on tv. a lot of begrudgery on here methinks.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies