• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The end of the Right Hook

Seanie Lemass

George finished his last show this evening (although it seems he may have a new slot on NT?).

Anyway, I have to say I will miss him. He was the only radio journalist to raise issues connected with immigration, and the show featured some interesting slots and discussions. I'll miss him on way home anyway!

Accidental sock

Of late, I found him hard to listen to....nothing to do with show content....it was like...chatting to someone on the phone while they're eating....soup...

firefly123

Of late, I found him hard to listen to....nothing to do with show content....it was like...chatting to someone on the phone while they're eating....soup...
He faded fast the past couple of years. Just became a cranky caricature of the grumpy old man.

Analyzer

I think Hook peaked about 10 years back.

Noisetalk had no credibility and they employed Hook in their line up to provide some outside the official DOBlin media perspective.

Compared to the insufferable bores in Irish radio, Hook was different.

I presume NT have replaced Hook with yet another bore.

Vega1447

What's with the weird accent?

Analyzer

Hook was about the only show worth enduring in the entire DOBlin media machine.

Which should be seen as a difficult achirvement, on balance.

Polly Ticks

Only started listening to newstalk in the past year so I can't tell you what he was like ten years ago, but my impression of Hook is that he (and I don't mean this disrespectfully) isn't in full possession of his faculties.. his speech is often slurred and incoherent, he's quite inarticulate, his emotional responses come across as stilted and mismatched (the manic, coquettish laughter about the most inane things)... I wish him well, obviously, and if he's happy to be a broadcaster more power to him, but sheesh...

Moncrief is noticeably more alert, coherent, and articulate.

McDave

I'll miss Hook in this slot. For all his shortcomings, he has bags more personality than the facetious Matt Cooper and the droning Mary Wilson.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com
Twitter saying the show is to be replaced by The Left Jab hosted by Paul Murphy.

runwiththewind

I'll miss Hook in this slot. For all his shortcomings, he has bags more personality than the facetious Matt Cooper and the droning Mary Wilson.
Mary Wilson does drone and she's a lightweight interviewer.

runwiththewind

George finished his last show this evening (although it seems he may have a new slot on NT?).

Anyway, I have to say I will miss him. He was the only radio journalist to raise issues connected with immigration, and the show featured some interesting slots and discussions. I'll miss him on way home anyway!
I too listen on the way home from work though of late, his rugby anologies got on my nerves.
His misogyny was never too far away either, like today he was critical of Clinton for no other reason than she's a woman and predicted a Trump victory.

That Michael something from the US who is on every week is great. Wish more presenters would speak as they find.

McDave

Mary Wilson does drone and she's a lightweight interviewer.
Pedantic, humourless and conformist.

Her listenership obviously demonstrates she has her admirers, but I've never been able to stand her.

Give me George's company for a couple of hours any day. Except for that bit where he gets into fights with that doctor.

Seanie Lemass

He is an eccentric old boy, but at least he has a personality and a brilliant memory for all sorts of stuff from films to sport to history. He was a breath of fresh air compared to 95% of the sheep that infest the Irish media. NT in fairness does have some good presenters and has RTE beaten hands down from Moncrieff to Off the Ball. Only exception I'd make would be John Creedon although Tom Dunne can be good too.

No doubt Hook was full of himself and liked to have the last word on almost everything! Probably time he retired. I think Rabbitte is taking that slot. That will be interesting as outside of politics he is quite a humorous chap and not as arrogant as he came across as the "smartest boy in the room" ( (C) Kathleen Lynch!)

storybud1

Hook did not conform to the usual pathetic Luvvie central that is the rest of Irish media and guest Michael Graham was excellent to show us how easily we accept the views of the liberal fascists that are fooking clueless clones.

I don't bother with the Irish media these days as it is so pathetic and never challenges the dogma of elitist liberals, there is no debate, no will to actually examine and tear apart the liberal views like that clown in the Aras, the utter madness of O Gorman/Sutherland and Geldof claiming some kind of moral highground from their mansions.

Hook will be missed as he was the only one that actually upset the liberal applecart that is spreading its stink all over our airwaves unopposed. No matter if he was not right all of the time he did highlight the absurdity of letting liberals spout their nonsense from D4 and run away without actually knowing one fooking thing about what they were talking about.

RTE is pure D4 comedy, the rest of newstalk is just Ten a penny Student union waffle ,

Lyric, BBC radio 3 and that's about all that is going on the radio in the car from now coming home from work. If I want to listen to real journalists and views that really debate the topics there simply is nothing happening in this Country.

runwiththewind

Pedantic, humourless and conformist.

Her listenership obviously demonstrates she has her admirers, but I've never been able to stand her.

Give me George's company for a couple of hours any day. Except for that bit where he gets into fights with that doctor.
Dr. Kelly is well able for him though. There as another guy who used to present with him, can't remember his name. What happened to him?

runwiththewind

George is getting too much credit as he didn't exactly take on his own profession though. Apart from raising a few issues on immigration, what else did he do?

It was his guests who made his show. People like Tom McGurk who a few years ago when the West were ISIS best friend McGurk was asking who are these people.

Why McGurk doesn't have his own show, I don't know.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies