• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The End of the Road for Antibiotics - millions will die

gleeful

The last antibiotic has fallen.

US reports first case of bacteria resistant to antibiotic of last resort | Society | The Guardian

No antibiotics have been developed and approved for human use in decades. Each year, hundreds of thousands of people die from previously treatable infections. By 2050, its expected that 10 million people will die each year.

Basically, we're screwed. The drug companies aren't investing in new antibiotics - its too expensive and theres no profit in curing people. Drug companies prefer 'products' you have to keep taking forever. They want you permanently sick, so they invest in that.

butterbox

Basically, we're screwed. The drug companies aren't investing in new antibiotics - its too expensive and theres no profit in curing people. Drug companies prefer 'products' you have to keep taking forever. They want you permanently sick, so they invest in that.
I think it is more to do with not wanting to spend years and millions of dollars developing an antibiotic that only works for 2 weeks.

olli rehn

Chickens are coming home to roost....

gleeful

I think it is more to do with not wanting to spend years and millions of dollars developing an antibiotic that only works for 2 weeks.
The antibiotic mentioned in this article has worked well for decades. The problem is its not profitable.

publicrealm

The last antibiotic has fallen.

US reports first case of bacteria resistant to antibiotic of last resort | Society | The Guardian

No antibiotics have been developed and approved for human use in decades. Each year, hundreds of thousands of people die from previously treatable infections. By 2050, its expected that 10 million people will die each year.

Would it help if there was massive taxpayer funding of R&D?

cozzy121

ah well Trump will soon have his racist finger on the button, so there's not much hope left anyways

edifice.

Sounds like an argument for the Remain side in the Brexit campaign.

Crazy horse 6

I'll admit I know sfa about medicine but if a lot of the reports ive read today are true planet earth is in for a huge cull. Maybe it's nature readdressing the balance because our present way of life is unsustainable.

Half Nelson

Who wudda thunk that dishing out a miracle cure like it was smarties could ever backfire?

My sick child was put on antibiotics by one doctor. When he didn't get better he was put on stronger antibiotics. When he got worse I took him to another doctor who put him on even stronger antibiotics. After a few days I watched him worsening even further so I stopped the antibiotics and took him to hospital where they kept him for a week and informed me that he should never have been given antibiotics.

Bea C

Who wudda thunk that dishing out a miracle cure like it was smarties could ever backfire?

My sick child was put on antibiotics by one doctor. When he didn't get better he was put on stronger antibiotics. When he got worse I took him to another doctor who put him on even stronger antibiotics. After a few days I watched him worsening even further so I stopped the antibiotics and took him to hospital where they kept him for a week and informed me that he should never have been given antibiotics.
People seem incapable of grasping that you take medication as the last option.
I'm on medication full time for life for a chronic condition - it has side effects.
I eat perfectly, so never get sick (if you know what I mean!).
I was boasting in the past twelve months that were I to reach next month, I would not have been on antibiotics for a whole decade.
Alas a dental abscess before Christmas scuppered that one.
It was wisdom teeth back in June 2006!
So it's my teeth trying to kill me off?

Anyway!
Every action has an equal and opposite reaction.

4horsemen

Chickens are coming home to roost....
These particular chickens crossed the road 20 years ago. It is at least that long since there were warnings that (1) GPs were dishing out antibiotics to avoid arguing with patients but no official action was taken to clamp down. (2) Patients fail to complete a course of antibiotics, stopping when the virus goes away, leaving sundry partially immune bacteria in their systems (3) the agricultural section mixing antibiotics into poultry and pig feed to enable intensive farming.

gleeful

Use of antibiotics in farming is a big cause of this. Our soil is awash with low level amounts of antibiotics where pathogens encounter them and develop immunity.

We need to stop it.

In the US they give all cattle low doses of antibiotics because they make the animals fat. The people who eat the food are fat too, but I'm sure thats a coincidence.

petaljam

Use of antibiotics in farming is a big cause of this. Our soil is awash with low level amounts of antibiotics where pathogens encounter them and develop immunity.

We need to stop it.

In the US they give all cattle low doses of antibiotics because they make the animals fat. The people who eat the food are fat too, but I'm sure thats a coincidence.
I have no solid evidence for this (not having looked into it in much depth) but it seems likely to me that intensive farming may be a far more important cause of antibiotic resistance than humans being given them.

Giving antibiotics prophylactically over the life times of generations of healthy animals living in production units where there are low but chronic levels of infection has to be the surest way to go about creating resistance among the micro-organisms concerned. And then people consume those animals or their eggs or milk.

I'm not convinced that the numbers of times where ill people are inadvertently given the wrong treatment are really comparable. It would be better if it didn't happen, sure - but I don't think solving that issue will solve the problem of resistance.

I'm puzzled as to why people are so keen to blame medical care for humans for this problem, when common sense should tell them that systematically giving antibiotics to living organisms which are not actually ill has to be a bad idea. And the quantities are enormous.

gleeful

I have no solid evidence for this (not having looked into it in much depth) but it seems likely to me that intensive farming may be a far more important cause of antibiotic resistance than humans being given them.

Giving antibiotics prophylactically over the life times of generations of healthy animals living in production units where there are low but chronic levels of infection has to be the surest way to go about creating resistance among the micro-organisms concerned. And then people consume those animals or their eggs or milk.

I'm not convinced that the numbers of times where ill people are inadvertently given the wrong treatment are really comparable. It would be better if it didn't happen, sure - but I don't think solving that issue will solve the problem of resistance.

I'm puzzled as to why people are so keen to blame medical care for humans for this problem, when common sense should tell them that systematically giving antibiotics to living organisms which are not actually ill has to be a bad idea. And the quantities are enormous.
Absolutely. There needs to be a global ban on it. But its probably too late and no one cares enough.

Every day around a thousand people die from antibiotic resistant infections, but its hard ever talked about. But every time some religious nutcase kills a few people, the reaction is immediate.

gleeful

Lots of interesting info here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic_use_in_livestock

80% of antibiotics produced in the US are used in livestock, mostly as a 'growth promoter' - ie to make the animal fat. This is why I go veterinarian when I visit the US.

China uses 4 times as much antibiotics as the total US just for chicken and port farming. India makes 30% of all the worlds antibiotics.

72% of antibiotics used in farming are 'medically important' for humans.

A global ban is the only way.

gerhard dengler

Patrick Holford has been saying for years that the medical practitioners reliance upon pharmacological treatments is far far too high.

Couple this level of antibiotic ingestion, with the use of antibiotics and other chemical treatments used throughout the agricultural/food industries.

Houston we have a problem.

gleeful

Patrick Holford has been saying for years that the medical practitioners reliance upon pharmacological treatments is far far too high.

Couple this level of antibiotic ingestion, with the use of antibiotics and other chemical treatments used throughout the agricultural/food industries.

Houston we have a problem.
Farming use of antibiotics as growth promoters (ie. using the side effect that some antibiotics make you fat if you take them when your not ill) is at least 4 times more than all use in humans.

Medical overuse is irrelevant in this. Antibiotic misuse is a farming issue.

mr_anderson

People's diets & lifestyles are probably one of the leading causes of illness.
Antibiotics are trying to compensate for our bad choices.

gerhard dengler

Farming use of antibiotics as growth promoters (ie. using the side effect that some antibiotics make you fat if you take them when your not ill) is at least 4 times more than all use in humans.

Medical overuse is irrelevant in this. Antibiotic misuse is a farming issue.
Medical overuse certainly isn't irrelevant.

Human population size alone makes this rather obvious. Or maybe not to you.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies