The EU Is Prepaing For A United Ireland To Seamlessly Enter It

General Urko

According to tomorrows FT -

European Leaders are preparing to recognise the potential for a united Ireland within the EU, confirming that Northern Ireland would seamlessly rejoin the bloc after Brexit in the event of a vote for Irish reunification.

The 27 remaining EU leaders are preparing to endorse the idea at a summit on Saturday.

Apparently, it follows on from the example of German Unification and EU Membership and will also uphold the Good Friday Agreement.

It is also adding to fears of fragmentation of The UK.

I think this deserves its own thread apart from those already on Brexit and the recent potential for unification. However feel free to merge!

I think a United Ireland is so off the charts as a possibility, it would be vastly more in The Eurocrats line to devise ways for an Independent Scotland to join it seamlessly!

https://www.ft.com/content/f4c720b0-2b63-11e7-bc4b-5528796fe35c

Last edited:

General Urko

Rather than click the link, the article can be accessed in full by googling Financila Times and Irish Unity within The EU.

General Urko

As vinny Browne said when he heard it, who wants them to discuss a United Ireland, neither Ireland nor Britain do! It may be just throwing everything in the pot, before Brexit Negotiations really begin!

jmcc

This is the EU trying to undermine the UK's position. Watch as the UK makes noises about repatriating EU citizens who are not working in the UK and have not found work after a specific period.

Wascurito

Alex Somethingorother on the Sky News paper review nearly blew a fuse over this story.

Wascurito

This is the EU trying to undermine the UK's position. Watch as the UK makes noises about repatriating EU citizens who are not working in the UK and have not found work after a specific period.
It's actually the Irish government asking that - in the event that NI votes for reunification - that its reentry into the EU would be fast-tracked. That is, that it would be treated the same way as East Germany was in 1990.

There's really no major story but the right-wing loopers in the English nationalist media will have a field day.

GDPR

The EU has 3 red lines before it even begins to talk about a comfy delightful trade deal for the one indispensable nation, the wonderful UK, which all Piesters admire so much and believe is the Most Important.

(1) The Irish Border
(2) The status of EU nationals in the UK and UK nationals in the EU
(3) The divorce cheque.

Brace yourselves, 26 - the dreary steeples are all yours :D

General Urko

That OP title is making me horny.
Keep your pecker inside your pants, like a good man, or at least, if you can't, have the screen wipes handy!:roll:

GDPR

Anything my lord except they dump the Six on you :)

The frigging will stop then over BREXIT.

You will get the worst of both worlds, you poor little fool.

GDPR

You poor souls who live through alt right websites and piss=poor British media are going to be shocked what happens to your beautiful, blissful BREXIT UK.

You are too vague even to realise the economic and political effects on the ROI

Oh the spinning off bedsit walls - we love them Brits, How did they dump the North on us? We dont love Irish people - we love Brits!!!!

GDPR

Im amused as I always am by the Pie consensus
(1) The EU is bad and Britain is leading the way to rob us of our shackles and free us from the European Domination'

(2) Britain is 100% right as always that is it is about the nation state.

(3) Please Britain, what ever you do, make sure 6 counties of Ireland remain in your hands. Please - please - please - pretty-please.

Dub01

You poor souls who live through alt right websites and piss=poor British media are going to be shocked what happens to your beautiful, blissful BREXIT UK.

You are too vague even to realise the economic and political effects on the ROI

Oh the spinning off bedsit walls - we love them Brits, How did they dump the North on us? We dont love Irish people - we love Brits!!!!
You do realise you are talking to a handful of wannabee Brits on this site? I reckon the number of actual non Irish Brits on this site could be counted on the fingers of one hand.

GDPR

You do realise you are talking to a handful of wannabee Brits on this site? I reckon the number of actual non Irish Brits on this site could be counted on the fingers of one hand.
I realise I am talking to people who hardly have any interaction with a living human soul.

Thinkof it as Internet Outreach to the Desperate. :D

Betson

Im amused as I always am by the Pie consensus
(1) The EU is bad and Britain is leading the way to rob us of our shackles and free us from the European Domination'

(2) Britain is 100% right as always that is it is about the nation state.

(3) Please Britain, what ever you do, make sure 6 counties of Ireland remain in your hands. Please - please - please - pretty-please.
That is the consensus according to you , I suspect the real case is opposite on all three counts.

New Threads