The EU subsidies vs loss of fishing revenues from our waters?

vanla sighs

I'm sure it must have been addressed before, I have seen references made to it but never saw a thread about it. I'm just wondering: over the years how much in EU subsidies did we as a State get from Brussels? Now contrast that with how much revenue we actually lost from having to open up our territorial waters to fishing fleets from other EU member states. How do the figures stack up?

I'm not saying we lost more than we gained or we gained more than we lost, I am simply interested in the figures if anyone has them. If it turns out that we did lose more than we gained then what exactly was the financial logic behind joining the EU in the first place (EEC as it then was of course)? If anyone says we needed to be in the EU to access the market is that really true? What about the EFTA/EEA?

By the way, I used to be very pro-EU but my faith in the project has vastly diminished especially since Nice and most especially since Lisbon. I'm not all out anti-EU, I simply want an EU based on democracy and respect - but if we can't have that then yes, I'm anti-EU. Thanks.

Last edited:

HarshBuzz

kerdasi amaq

Getting easy money for clodhoppers, as opposed to developing a national resource.

Easy choice for gombeen politicians.

Last edited:

Twin Towers

There were threads here a few years ago on the subject which showed that the maritime giveaway far exceeded and the huge monies transferred to Eastern Europe have made the EU a very bad deal.

SilverSpurs

This is not an easy question as measuring the 'lost economy' in fishing is very subjective and can be spun whichever way you want. As for cap what europhiles gloss over is the damage done to irish agriculture by cap rules but again this involves a 'lost economy'. Bear in mind thats structural funds are not cash and they must be spent on eu approved projects.
Bear also in mind that market access is a two way street so we got cheap continental imports and labour aswell as the right to trade and work in the continent.

SilverSpurs

No doubt Ibis will be along soon waving the canadian study that doesnt take inter eez fishing into account as proof that the losses due to inter eez fishing were small.

evercloserunion

There were threads here a few years ago on the subject which showed that the maritime giveaway far exceeded and the huge monies transferred to Eastern Europe have made the EU a very bad deal.
It also proved that the EU eats babies and drowns puppies.

EUrJokingMeRight

It also proved that the EU eats babies and drowns puppies.
Don't forget the Mothers and the Fathers and the doggies too.

It's a beast, with an insatiable appetite for whatever resource you have to offer. Including your flesh and bone.

Thanks for reminding us.

Either way I think we will lose in the end. Did I hear something about our territory getting 'extended' another 11km today, due to new mapping of the continental shelf? Something we'll be giving away to the EU free with a bag of chips in 2014, before we even know what lies under it.

Time to start digging a few holes methinks.

setanta

Groan ... not this red herring again!

Ohwhatamess

Website
www.youtube.com
The Maritine resources, that are referred to in these articles are not what Irish Boats or firms never caught but what we transferred ownership to Brussels. We could have sold fishing rights every year to various countries for top dollar. Instead we gave them away for nothing. Lots of fishing villages have collapsed unded the rules and regs now strangling their boats.

DeGaulle 2.0

Website
ga.wikipedia.org
Some facts:-
- nett receipts (grants received minus monies paid) from EEC/EU were 37 billion in real terms up to 2003 and we are still nett beneficiaries
- fishing rights for Morocco (including Western Sahara) were purchased for approx 100 million euro per annum over a 12 year period 1988-1999, which gives some idea of what you can buy fishing rights for. Morocco/Western Sahara has a combine coastline of almost 3000km.

Over 30 years : 37 billion in subsidies
30 years fishing rights @ 100 million : 3 billion
Difference : 34 billion

It should be pointed out that if you want to sell your fishing rights then you need a navy capable of policing the 200 mile zone. Also, fish don't seem to have saved Iceland. Maybe a better deal could have been done but we are still huge beneficiaries from being an EU member.

New Threads

Most Replies