The European Union Withdrawal Act 2018 was given "Royal Assent" on June 26th - the British ring the Death Knell of Unionism in Ireland loud and clear.

Talk Back

The European Union Withdrawal Act 2018 was given "Royal Assent" on June 26th - the British ring the Death Knell of Unionism in Ireland loud and clear.

This slipped nicely under the radar this week - and means for all intents and purposes, it is the end of the partition of Ireland, and the de-facto border between Ireland as a whole and Britain, will be in the Irish Sea.

Law and Lawyers: European Union (Withdrawal) Act 2018 ~ Overview

British law (Withdrawal Act) states the following in section 10...

Continuation of North-South co-operation and the prevention of new border arrangements.

(1) In exercising any of the powers under this Act, a Minister of the Crown or devolved authority must—

(a) act in a way that is compatible with the terms of the Northern Ireland Act 1998, and
(b) have due regard to the joint report from the negotiators of the EU and the United Kingdom Government on progress during phase 1 of negotiations under Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union.

(2) Nothing in section 8, 9 or 23(1) or (6) of this Act authorises regulations which—

(a) diminish any form of North-South cooperation provided for by the Belfast Agreement (as defined by section 98 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998), or
(b) create or facilitate border arrangements between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland after exit day which feature physical infrastructure, including border posts, or checks and controls, that did not exist before exit day and are not in accordance with an agreement between the United Kingdom and the EU.

TicK-Tock :lol:

Talk Back

Meanwhile in desperation, the DUPid party are trying to peddle a bridge between Ireland and Scotland.

Hahahaha.

McSlaggart

Meanwhile in desperation, the DUPid party are trying to peddle a bridge between Ireland and Scotland.

Hahahaha.
The idea of the Bridge is a bit mad. The funny thing is if you was to put one in it would be between the south and Britian.......

GDPR

Hahahaha.
The idea of the Bridge is a bit mad. The funny thing is if you was to put one in it would be between the south and Britian.......
I don't mind having a bridge. After all there is an even longer tunnel between England and France, two sovereign nations.

A bridge as well as Irish reunification.

Talk Back

Unionists in Ireland are being betrayed by their own political representatives - the never, never, never, no surrender DUP, no less.

Hard to believe Unionists have got themselves into such a mess. Leaderless and rudderless - and being frog-marched out of the UK by events beyond of their control.

Tick-Tock :lol:

Talk Back

I don't mind having a bridge. After all there is an even longer tunnel between England and France, two sovereign nations.

A bridge as well as Irish reunification.

Perhaps - after the reunification of our people and our country - when England's occupation of Ireland ends.

Ó Ghabhainn

Hahahaha.
If a bridge was workable I think it would be a good idea. But it ain't.

redneck

When push comes to shove, I think the govt will back down, and there will be a border in N.I. Albeit a customs one only.

Talk Back

When push comes to shove, I think the govt will back down, and there will be a border in N.I. Albeit a customs one only.
There can't be - it's the law - British law :lol:

No change to the status quo - the only place there can be checks are ports -meaning de-facto border will be in the Irish Sea.

Talk Back

The government said that in the coming weeks it would begin using the powers in the new law. But nothing that will affect the status quo IN Ireland - just between Ireland and Britain. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-44615245

Brexit Secretary David Davis said it was a "landmark moment" in the Brexit process.

"We will now begin the work of preparing our statute book, using the provisions in this Act, to ensure we are ready for any scenario, giving people and businesses the certainty they need," he added. But clearly not businesses in the occupied 6 counties of Ireland.

Because under the new British law - the 'Withdrawal Act' states the following in section 10...

Continuation of North-South co-operation and the prevention of new border arrangements.

(1) In exercising any of the powers under this Act, a Minister of the Crown or devolved authority must—

(a) act in a way that is compatible with the terms of the Northern Ireland Act 1998, and
(b) have due regard to the joint report from the negotiators of the EU and the United Kingdom Government on progress during phase 1 of negotiations under Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union.

(2) Nothing in section 8, 9 or 23(1) or (6) of this Act authorises regulations which—

(a) diminish any form of North-South cooperation provided for by the Belfast Agreement (as defined by section 98 of the Northern Ireland Act 1998), or
(b) create or facilitate border arrangements between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland after exit day which feature physical infrastructure, including border posts, or checks and controls, that did not exist before exit day and are not in accordance with an agreement between the United Kingdom and the EU.

between the bridges

Ahem...

Amendment 25 - Northern Ireland: GOVERNMENT WINS

MPs nod through government amendments to the Lords amendment, which required no changes to Irish border arrangements without the agreement of both the UK and Irish governments. The government amendments propose that the bar on border changes refers only to physical infrastructure.

Proposer: Chris Patten, Conservative peer and former minister who chaired a commission on policing in Northern Ireland.

So the digital option requires no agreement...

Ó Ghabhainn

Ahem...

MPs nod through government amendments to the Lords amendment, which required no changes to Irish border arrangements without the agreement of both the UK and Irish governments. The government amendments propose that the bar on border changes refers only to physical infrastructure.

Proposer: Chris Patten, Conservative peer and former minister who chaired a commission on policing in Northern Ireland.

Depeds how you read it. What you're reading is "The...amendment...refers only to physical infrastructure."

What I read is that "the bar on border changes refers only to physical infrastructure", which states that there may be non-physical infrastructure but NOT that it requires no agreement.

Talk Back

Ahem...

Link???

There is no digital option for the British.

All the brits have are Unicorns - Rainbows - something about foreigners,

Oh yeah - something about blue passports.

:lol:

derryman

Correct me if I am wrong, the DUP voted in favour of this.
Just how dupid are they?

Talk Back

Correct me if I am wrong, the DUP voted in favour of this.
Just how dupid are they?
They sure did - and they sure are.

Unionists trapped in Ireland are being betrayed by their own political representatives - the never, never, never, no surrender DUP, no less.

Hard to believe Unionists have got themselves into such a mess. Leaderless and rudderless - and being frog-marched out of the UK by events beyond of their control.

Tick-Tock :lol:

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

Distance is too long IMO McSlaggart. Although the engineer supports your claim:

The most financially viable appear to be those from Wales to the Republic, Grose says. "Intuitively Holyhead to Dublin is a more preferable route than the others. It's closer to Manchester and Liverpool and connects straight into Dublin."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-23672538

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies