The European Union Withdrawal Act 2018 was given "Royal Assent" on June 26th - the British ring the Death Knell of Unionism in Ireland loud and clear.

Newrybhoy

:lol:

Well there's your opinion and then we have the opinions of these literary non-entities..........................

“I managed to get my copy of Ulysses through safely this time. I rather wish I had never read it. It gives me an inferiority complex. When I read a book like that and then come back to my own work, I feel like a eunuch who has taken a course in voice production.” George Orwell.

“Ulysses, of course, is a divine work of art and will live on despite the academic nonentities who turn it into a collection of symbols or Greek myths. I once gave a student a C-minus, or perhaps a D-plus, just for applying to its chapters the titles borrowed from Homer while not even noticing the comings and goings of the man in the brown mackintosh. He didn’t even know who the man in the brown mackintosh was. Oh, yes, let people compare me to Joyce by all means, but my English is pat ball to Joyce’s champion game.” Vladimir Nabokov

“Everyone said that it [Ulysses] was such a sealed book, hard to penetrate, but I did not think so at all. You never hear people say that there is so much humor in the book, that the characters are so lively or that the theme – Stephen Daedalus in search of his lost father and Bloom looking for his lost child – is so moving. People talk about the cleverness of Ulysses and about the literary innovation. To me it was moving, in the first place” Salman Rushdie.

"Joyce has written a most goddam wonderful book (Ulysses). Meantime the report is that he and all his family are starving, but you can find the whole Celtic crew of them in Michaud," Ernest Hemingway.

"I hold this book to be the most important expression which the present age has found; it is a book to which we are all indebted, and from which none of us can escape." T.S. Eliot
So,only recognised authors are allowed an opinion on books then?

So it will be ex footballers for football actors for movies etc etc?

Anything that is subjective allows anyone to have an opinion. You might have a different opinion and think someone's else's opinion isn't wrong but you can't "prove" it, that's the way of things.

Irish nationalists seek to defend their solitary literary figure with any worldwide renown, fair enough.

It doesn't stop someone saying that they thought his book was crap.

Suck it up.

AhNowStop

Anything that is subjective allows anyone to have an opinion. You might have a different opinion and think someone's else's opinion isn't wrong but you can't "prove" it, that's the way of things.

Irish nationalists seek to defend their solitary literary figure with any worldwide renown, fair enough.

It doesn't stop someone saying that they thought his book was crap.

Suck it up.
lmfao ... oh dear Jaysus but thats a funny post ... never leave Newrybhollocks, never leave :shock: lmfao

btw - I just heard that a mate of Newrybhollocks' is going in for heart surgery next week .. the Doctors said he doesnt need surgery and theres nothing wrong with him at all but Newrybhollocks is insisting ... and who the feck are the professionals to argue with Newrybhollocks :shock:

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

Irish nationalists seek to defend their solitary literary figure.
* Tremens splits Ireland's literary figures into Pradastant & Catholic

* Everyone thinks he's a phukking tool

* Tremens starts slagging off Joyce (because he's a Catholic)

* Other's say Joyce was World renowned

* Tremens says its them - not him - who are interested in the religion/politcs of the writer!

Newrybhoy

* Tremens splits Ireland's literary figures into Pradastant & Catholic

* Everyone thinks he's a phukking tool

* Tremens starts slagging off Joyce (because he's a Catholic)

* Other's say Joyce was World renowned

* Tremens says its them - not him - who are interested in the religion/politcs of the writer!
The only people splitting things up are those that continually profess that Gaelic culture is superior to Anglo culture.

When Irish literature is examined that is patently not the case.

Newrybhoy

lmfao ... oh dear Jaysus but thats a funny post ... never leave Newrybhollocks, never leave :shock: lmfao

btw - I just heard that a mate of Newrybhollocks' is going in for heart surgery next week .. the Doctors said he doesnt need surgery and theres nothing wrong with him at all but Newrybhollocks is insisting ... and who the feck are the professionals to argue with Newrybhollocks :shock:
Do you know what subjective means?

Do you understand that some things in life are subjective and some are a matter of fact?

Stick to laughing your ass off and posting smilies.

Craigmore..

Pffftttt.
I
None of those literary giants experienced a cultural gathering such as the 12th. That's the real gem and indeed pinnacle of humankind's cultural achievements.
Did you see Hemingway's report? :lol:

raetsel

Except that highly intelligent literary giants are going to be taken a bit more seriously than some half-wit on the internet. :)

Your fundamental mistake here is to see the world through a blighted sectarian prism while ignoring some historical realities into the bargain. You seem to be claiming that Wilde, Yeats, Shaw and Beckett, among others, belonged to 'your culture' because they were born into the Protestant tradition whereas I couldn't give a damn about religion, and I, like them define myself by nationality rather than by religion.
Wilde, Yeats and Shaw were all Irish nationalists whereas Beckett was largely indifferent on the issue but chose to travel on an Irish passport despite being entitled to a British one. All of those men were of course as far from the antagonistic, belligerent Ulster loyalist tradition that you come from as it is possible to get, and of course were ethnically different also, which might explain why Dublin Prods even today look down their noses on the likes of yourself and your crass narrow minded perspective on the world.
Purely on the subject of Catholics you've also overlooked the fact that there is a very obvious reason why Catholics lagged behind Protestants during the period when literary endeavour flourished in Europe - they were suppressed economically and educationally by draconian laws from the end of the 17th century until the first decades of the 19th and it took many decades to recover from that.

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

The only people splitting things up are those that continually profess that Gaelic culture is superior to Anglo culture. When Irish literature is examined that is patently not the case.
Tell me one of the famous Pradastant writers you think is shyte.

(And not Francis Stuart. You hate him because he converted to Catholicism and joined the IRA)

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

Purely on the subject of Catholics you've also overlooked the fact that there is a very obvious reason why Catholics lagged behind Protestants during the period when literary endeavour flourished in Europe - they were suppressed economically and educationally by draconian laws from the end of the 17th century until the first decades of the 19th and it took many decades to recover from that.
When the Penal Laws were lifted/relaxed you began to get a growing educated Catholic middle class (not unlike what's happened in the north over the last few decades). In the literary World the likes of Thomas Moore emerged from that social change.

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

Stick to laughing your ass off and posting smilies.
To be fair to him Tremens it really is difficult to keep a straight face when reading your postings. The fact that an Oik like you claims to have read hundreds of literary works puts you into Court Jester territory.

I mean you really couldn't make this sh1t up!

Newrybhoy

To be fair to him Tremens it really is difficult to keep a straight face when reading your postings. The fact that an Oik like you claims to have read hundreds of literary works puts you into Court Jester territory.

I mean you really couldn't make this sh1t up!
I said thousands of books dick head.

If you mean the kind of stuff you would study for A levels or at Uni, it is a fraction of that.

Books are subjective. Experts can pontificate all they like but in the end it's down to the individual reader.

I suppose republicans are so used to being told what to think that they have no concept of doing it for themselves.

Oliver Cromwell McIvor

Books are subjective. Experts can pontificate all they like but in the end it's down to the individual reader.
Aye so its just pure coincidence that you think all of Ireland's noteworthy "CNR" writers are sh1t and the only Protestant ones you think are also sh1t were nationalists?

Those subjective critical faculties of yours are impressive Tremens. :lol:

GDPR

Was Parnell really a Pradastant?

I mean his mother Delia Tudor was Jewish.
The best Christian I know is ethnically a Jewess but she is very a Christian and indeed holds views on the Jewish Question that would get her arrested in the UK if she mouthed them publicly. Lucky for her she is in a Convent in Romania.

Last edited:

12 bens

The best Christian I know is ethnically a Jewess but she is very a Christian and indeed holds views on the Jewish Question that would get her arrested in the UK if she mouthed them publicly. Lucky for her she is a Convent in Romania.
...lucky for her indeed!

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies