The Eurovision 2017

cropbeye

Given that we have tried every thing else

in terms of Ireland considering entering the competition next year.

Would anyone join me to campaign that the Irish entry

next year be as Gaeilge.

That is an Irish language entry.

Catalpast

Given that we have tried every thing else

in terms of Ireland considering entering the competition next year.

Would anyone join me to campaign that the Irish entry

next year be as Gaeilge.

That is an Irish language entry.
We should forget about it TBH

We are never going to win again

So What's another year?

west'sawake

Stop the incestuous closed shop of most favoured celebrities, yesterday's pop stars and past Eurovision winners that dominates the euro song psychology of RTE and we might get places.

Have a listen to this. It got second in Euro song Ireland 2008, beaten by Dustin the Turkey. No wonder the rest of Europe is negatively disposed to us since.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNnvaFg6DbQ

To paraphrase Leona Daly in the last line of her song above, maybe we are actually crazy after all, thinking we can win the damn thing with tired auld formulas that have not moved with a contest that has mostly thrown up heavy metal, funky pop songs, country rock, club dance beats, folk classical and even ethnic sounds as winners this past two decades.

Fact is the Eurovision has gone mainstream and when it has the likes of Justin Timberlake as the interval act, it means its no longer about maudlin ballads and kitsch, or big production numbers that change key, or a load of about dancers surrounding the singer, yah that's still part of it all, of course, but not about the winners.

Nah, the music industry the way it moulds our tastes and sponsors future success, pushing new talent, is doing the same in Eurovision, only via the various countries, their musical festivals that take time in picking a winner, except it seems Ireland and a few others who fish out of the same silly pot by having the same silly RTE closed shop selection process that narrows it down to six songs, giving priority first to its own club. Dustin, Jedward, and Nickey, being a paradigm of all that.

My money is on the Swedes this year, if not them then the French, Spanish, or Australians. If the odds are greater than ten to one for Sweden, I'll put a few euro on them.

Last edited:

cropbeye

Damn right and many composers competent in various genres here about the

country including as Gaeilge and dha theangach.

Felixness

Anyone whose ever walked through or lived in an apartment complex with eastern europeans will know that they have erm...questionable taste in music.petunia Perhaps there should be people lurking around listening to the music blasting out of apartments and getting an idea of what appeals to them and basically just copy it. Realistically it's just a bit of fun and not to be taken seriously. We shall be watching it on BBC 1 tonight, enjoying Graham Norton's bitchiness while stuffing our faces with junk food and knocking back some booze. Ireland is never going to win again.

blokesbloke

Only if Joan Burton or Sean Gallagher sing it, or it can be in Irish, English or Ulster Scots, it still won't win.

cropbeye

Not saying Irish language song would win overall. But would probably qualify for the

final and perhaps finish in the top seven or six.

daveL

Not saying Irish language song would win overall. But would probably qualify for the

final and perhaps finish in the top seven or six.
Regardless of whether the song was any good or not?

west'sawake

Only if Joan Burton or Sean Gallagher sing it, or it can be in Irish, English or Ulster Scots, it still won't win.

I thought by now you'd be over your joanie obsession. As for Seanie, I can understand your fealty and fidelty there. That flint of stoney grey soil in the Monaghan man would surely be better than the musings of our beloved Michael D.

Last edited:

blokesbloke

I thought by now you'd be over your joanie obsession. As for Seanie I can understand your fealty and fidelty there, that flint of stoney grey soil in the Monaghan man would surely be better than the musings of our beloved Michael D
Michael D.
Never! I adore Joanie and I shall always be loyal to her.

Quite right about my Seanie though. Such a terrible waste, but perhaps if he won the Eurovision for Ireland you'd all see sense and vote him President next time.

Mind you, it didn't work for Dana...

cropbeye

Never! I adore Joanie and I shall always be loyal to her.

Quite right about my Seanie though. Such a terrible waste, but perhaps if he won the Eurovision for Ireland you'd all see sense and vote him President next time.

Mind you, it didn't work for Dana...
Still Dana became an M.E.P against expectation.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies