The Fermi Paradox - Are we alone?

Drogheda445

A video on the techniques used in detecting exoplanets:

[video=youtube;AnX7ExBjrHw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnX7ExBjrHw[/video]

Its interesting to note from this video that so far we can only really use these techniques to detect larger planets (usually gas giants) that orbit their star relatively frequently (and when their orbital plane is conveniently placed to allow transits to be observed), so there may be plenty of undetected planets that we may discover in the future when detection methods are improved and refined.

gleeful

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/we-are-probably-not-alone-scientists-find-10-habitable-planets-1.3126376

10 more Earth-like planets and the amazing announcement that 60% of stars have Earth-like planets (in terms of size and distance from their star). Feed this number into the Drake equation and it shows there may be 600,000 space-faring civilizations in our Galaxy alone.

I think the Fermi paradox is solved. We haven't been contacted because we are not special. They just have no interest in us.

Henry94.

I think the Fermi paradox is solved. We haven't been contacted because we are not special. They just have no interest in us.
We could be like the guy with one all-Ireland medal in Kerry. Perhaps when we expand on to other planets we will eventually become worth talking to. I'm sure it's our destiny but until we find life elsewhere we have to consider the possibility that life as we know it is a mere fluke and our rise and fall will go unremarked and unnoticed in an empty uncaring universe.

“As I looked out into the night sky, across all those infinite stars, it made me realize how insignificant they are.”

― Peter Cook

firefly123

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/science/we-are-probably-not-alone-scientists-find-10-habitable-planets-1.3126376

10 more Earth-like planets and the amazing announcement that 60% of stars have Earth-like planets (in terms of size and distance from their star). Feed this number into the Drake equation and it shows there may be 600,000 space-faring civilizations in our Galaxy alone.

You'd think they'd come and throw some bread at us or something though.

SamsonS

I think you have hit on something here. I reckon they were here, had a look, and just got incredibly bored and left. I put that down to the following 4 reasons.
It was the 1980's, it was wet, a November Sunday and they landed in Laois.

Deadlock

i think you have hit on something here. I reckon they were here, had a look, and just got incredibly bored and left. I put that down to the following 4 reasons.
It was the 1980's, it was wet, a november sunday and they landed in laois.
lmfao

gleeful

I think you have hit on something here. I reckon they were here, had a look, and just got incredibly bored and left. I put that down to the following 4 reasons.
It was the 1980's, it was wet, a November Sunday and they landed in Laois.
I guess Enrico Fermi never knew about the 'Laois solution' to his paradox.

LookWhoItIs

And hopefully it stays that way, best to keep our heads down:D, aliens progressed enough to reach us are unlikely to have our best interests at heart.

Biggest fear is that a bunch of drunk teenage aliens decide to come and f@ck with us on a Friday night:shock:

Black Swan

Observing hostile, advanced aliens in a Goldilocks zone is highly improbable.

Deadlock

than a fùckin duck or a pigeon!
I'm going to borrow heavily from Star Trek here in the hope that some of the tropes there maybe useful to speculate why the "Skies" are so silent, with whom some will be familiar. I'm at pains to say these are just suggestions, and not my pet theories in any way. I currently don't have the links but will edit and add when I dig them out.

Again - not my ideas here. Hold off the on calling the burly guys in white coats with syringes full of strong meds a while yet!!

The first speculation is that there are local space faring civilisations out there, but they may adhere to a code (like Star Treks Prime Directive https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prime_Directive) or a polity ( the United Federation of Planets (UFP) https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Federation_of_Planets) which precludes contacting us as our stage of development does not yet satisfy certain technological/sociological/political criteria. As such we currently offer little by way of interest.

The second speculation centres on one of the historical species founding the UFP, the logical Vulcans (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulcan_(Star_Trek)), who were more technically advanced than their neighbours, and were amongst the first to start exploration of space. This speculation, rather scarily for me, suggests we are the Vulcans in our local area, and currently we are the most advanced species in this area of local space. The absence of a message is then due to the fact that we are currently the only ones broadcasting and listening.

The Fermi Paradox - Wait But Why
Weekend Feature: "Humans May be One of the First Advanced Species in the Universe" - The Daily Galaxy --Great Discoveries Channel

Last edited:

Black Swan

I would like to see the graph that shows how complex an observable universe may become before encountering itself.

EUrJokingMeRight

You dont go to a random house 5 miles away to borrow a helping hand....you pop into your next door neighbour!

Likewise swamp bacteria thousands of light years away arent going to 'pop into' us for a natter and a cuppa.

EUrJokingMeRight

I would like to see the graph that shows how complex an observable universe may become before encountering itself.
Its called a mirror.....

And you thought a tax probe was bad?!

Catalpast

There are probably other intelligent Life Forms

But probably not that many that are sentient

Even less that are advanced enough to think outside the box

if we ever discover any then they are probably so far away that any meaningful communication will be between extremely difficult

- and Impossible

So for all practical purposes we are Alone in this Universe

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies