• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

“The Filthy Irish” ???


Armchair Activist

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2007
Messages
2,068
Just out of curiosity, is there anyone on here who is satisfied with standard of public cleanliness in Ireland, particularly that along our roadsides???

Usually this wouldn’t catch my eye a great deal but to see the state of the roadsides coming in along the N11 around the Shankill/Ballybrack area in south Dublin worried me to say the least. I mean Jesus Christ lads, it’s not that hard to pick up the phone and have the council lads out there first thing Monday morning :roll:

Imagine for any tourists coming up from Rosslare or even people on the way to Glendalough and other tourist locations around that Wicklow area from the airport and the impression they must get from seeing miles of filth greet them as they look out the windows. Quite embarrassing if you ask me!

But hopefully its just confined to Dublin!
 


Maximilian

Active member
Joined
Feb 11, 2004
Messages
240
Armchair Activist said:
Imagine for any tourists coming up from Rosslare or even people on the way to Glendalough and other tourist locations around that Wicklow area from the airport and the impression they must get from seeing miles of filth greet them as they look out the windows. Quite embarrassing if you ask me!
Well, at least it's not as bad as Campania.
 

sickpuppy

Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2007
Messages
88
Maximilian said:
Armchair Activist said:
Imagine for any tourists coming up from Rosslare or even people on the way to Glendalough and other tourist locations around that Wicklow area from the airport and the impression they must get from seeing miles of filth greet them as they look out the windows. Quite embarrassing if you ask me!
Well, at least its not as bad as Campania.
thats naples isn't it, filtiest hole of a town i've ever been in
 

jerryp

Member
Joined
Jan 22, 2006
Messages
95
Armchair Activist said:
Just out of curiosity, is there anyone on here who is satisfied with standard of public cleanliness in Ireland, particularly that along our roadsides???

Usually this wouldn’t catch my eye a great deal but to see the state of the roadsides coming in along the N11 around the Shankill/Ballybrack area in south Dublin worried me to say the least. I mean Jesus Christ lads, it’s not that hard to pick up the phone and have the council lads out there first thing Monday morning :roll:

Imagine for any tourists coming up from Rosslare or even people on the way to Glendalough and other tourist locations around that Wicklow area from the airport and the impression they must get from seeing miles of filth greet them as they look out the windows. Quite embarrassing if you ask me!

But hopefully its just confined to Dublin!
It's not just a Dublin thing. I've had occassion to be on the streets of many of our cities and towns early on Sunday mornings and you'd wonder if those on the streets the previous night were even human !
 

Ronanr

Active member
Joined
May 19, 2004
Messages
193
Well, at least its not as bad as Campania.
That is very comforting thought, Maximilian.

Maybe FF should adopt it as a campaign slogan?

"Ireland under Fianna Fail: Well, at least it is not as bad as Campania!"
 

Armchair Activist

Well-known member
Joined
May 6, 2007
Messages
2,068
socialdemocrate said:
Maximilian said:
Armchair Activist said:
Imagine for any tourists coming up from Rosslare or even people on the way to Glendalough and other tourist locations around that Wicklow area from the airport and the impression they must get from seeing miles of filth greet them as they look out the windows. Quite embarrassing if you ask me!
Well, at least its not as bad as Campania.
thats naples isn't it, filtiest hole of a town i've ever been in
*cough* ehm.... I hope by Naples you're reffering to Dundalk!

We don’t want her slipping off the tracks already!
 

CookieMonster

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
34,659
No. Irish people are a ******* disgrace.

What bugs me is that some people take the time to collect the rubbish in their car, tie it neatly into plastic bad and then throw it out the window. Just keep it in the car until you get home!!!

Though you've reminded me on the day I saw a car stopped at traffic lights and the driver threw an empty coffee cup out the window, a woman crossing at the lights picked it up and threw it back in the window at him. More militant anti-litter people is what we need.
 

antagoniser

Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2006
Messages
71
We're a filthy race. Our personal hygiene was practically non-existant before we discovered what a shower is, and we're still a disgrace. It is no coincidence that we have such a high incidence MRSA
 

CookieMonster

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 19, 2005
Messages
34,659
antagoniser said:
We're a filthy race. Our personal hygiene was practically non-existant before we discovered what a shower is, and we're still a disgrace. It is no coincidence that we have such a high incidence of that virus that is related to lack of hygiene...can't remember the name of it?
BO?
 

qtman

Active member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
280
Armchair Activist said:
But hopefully its just confined to Dublin!
It isn't. I live in Leitrim; its filthy, and no one appears to care.

I go out once a month a pick up all te crap along the road near me, but its just the same a couple of days later.
 

qtman

Active member
Joined
Jan 24, 2005
Messages
280
antagoniser said:
We're a filthy race. Our personal hygiene was practically non-existant before we discovered what a shower is, and we're still a disgrace. It is no coincidence that we have such a high incidence MRSA
I once went out with a girl from Galway who thought that my most appealing characteristic was that I was 'clean'.
 

cactus flower

Member
Joined
Jan 1, 2008
Messages
75
I think there are distinct signs of clean up. Do you remember the festoons of plastic bags that used to be in the hedges. Towns have definitely started to clean up with Business Wallahs Against Litter or whatever.
What is not so good is the dumping by people who cant afford rubbish collection (or who are too cheap)
Most litter seems to be a by-product of snack food and smoking - couldnt we have a special litter levy on these unneccesary and unsightly products?
 

Auditor #9

Active member
Joined
May 31, 2007
Messages
237
Website
www.*******.com
antagoniser said:
We're a filthy race. Our personal hygiene was practically non-existant before we discovered what a shower is, and we're still a disgrace. It is no coincidence that we have such a high incidence MRSA
Is MRSA really related to hygiene or where does it come from? If it comes directly from hygiene or lack of it then we're our own worst enemies.

And.. is picking the nose really that disgusting?
 

joel

Well-known member
Joined
May 3, 2007
Messages
810
antagoniser said:
We're a filthy race. Our personal hygiene was practically non-existant before we discovered what a shower is, and we're still a disgrace. It is no coincidence that we have such a high incidence MRSA

"We're?" - and you are a filthy racist.

You are always making racist comments. If it is wrong to be racist to different groups then that must also apply to the Irish.
 

antagoniser

Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2006
Messages
71
CookieMonster said:
antagoniser said:
We're a filthy race. Our personal hygiene was practically non-existant before we discovered what a shower is, and we're still a disgrace. It is no coincidence that we have such a high incidence of that virus that is related to lack of hygiene...can't remember the name of it?
BO?
:lol:
Damn you! I edited that post, I just had a weird blank and couldn't think of the name MRSA. (And BO is bacteria ;) )
 

antagoniser

Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2006
Messages
71
Auditor #9 said:
antagoniser said:
We're a filthy race. Our personal hygiene was practically non-existant before we discovered what a shower is, and we're still a disgrace. It is no coincidence that we have such a high incidence MRSA
Is MRSA really related to hygiene or where does it come from? If it comes directly from hygiene or lack of it then we're our own worst enemies.

And.. is picking the nose really that disgusting?
Lack of basic hygiene allows it to be transmitted easily.
 

antagoniser

Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2006
Messages
71
joel said:
antagoniser said:
We're a filthy race. Our personal hygiene was practically non-existant before we discovered what a shower is, and we're still a disgrace. It is no coincidence that we have such a high incidence MRSA

"We're?" - and you are a filthy racist.

You are always making racist comments. If it is wrong to be racist to different groups then that must also apply to the Irish.
:lol:
Go away you smelly git!
 

joel

Well-known member
Joined
May 3, 2007
Messages
810
antagoniser said:
Auditor #9 said:
antagoniser said:
We're a filthy race. Our personal hygiene was practically non-existant before we discovered what a shower is, and we're still a disgrace. It is no coincidence that we have such a high incidence MRSA
Is MRSA really related to hygiene or where does it come from? If it comes directly from hygiene or lack of it then we're our own worst enemies.

And.. is picking the nose really that disgusting?
Lack of basic hygiene allows it to be transmitted easily.

And I'd say you stink!
 

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top