• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The Finglas riot of 1913

JohnD66

Interesting article by Christopher Lee here on an episode from the 1913 lockout.

'Shot down like a dog' The Finglas Riot of 1913 | The Irish Story

In North county Dublin, then all rural, the lockout affected a swathe of farming communities from Finglas to Swords. The ITGWU had organised a successful strike earlier in the year, raising the low wages of the agricultural workers there. The farmers (including IPP stalwarts the Kettle family) took the opportunity of the lockout to dismiss any worker who belonged the the ITGWU.

The article concerns a riot in Finglas village where a crowd a attempted to attack a 'scab' in a local pub and was fired on by the police. A 17 year old boy was shot in the back and badly injured. The police were cleared of all wrong-doing.

firefly123

They proudly recreate this historical event in parts of finglas every Halloween!

Joking aside. Never knew about this. Very interesting.

JohnD66

They proudly recreate this historical event in parts of finglas every Halloween!

Joking aside. Never knew about this. Very interesting.
Finglas is a very different place since the massive housing construction there since the 1960s of course.

Seanie Lemass

Interesting piece. One of those charged after the incident was a brother of Dick McKee, later OC of the Dublin Brigade IRA who was tortured and killed on the night of Bloody Sunday in the Castle.

Prester Jim

Finglas is a very different place since the massive housing construction there since the 1960s of course.
I taught there for a year in the early-mid 2000s.
Some parts are very, very poor and near chaos IMO.
Cops barely patrol areas near Dunsink lane and Cappagh hospital.

JohnD66

I taught there for a year in the early-mid 2000s.
Some parts are very, very poor and near chaos IMO.
Cops barely patrol areas near Dunsink lane and Cappagh hospital.
That's my impression whenever I've ventured up there alright.

zakalwe1

Red sky at night....
finglas is on fire....again

Seanie Lemass

It's not as bad as some make out. Was on verge of disintegration in the late 90s through massive anti-social behaviour, joy-riding, drugs and regular riots. Was turned around after that but one of more likely places to be badly afflicted by the downturn.

bonkers

Interesting article by Christopher Lee here on an episode from the 1913 lockout.

In North county Dublin, then all rural, the lockout affected a swathe of farming communities from Finglas to Swords. The ITGWU had organised a successful strike earlier in the year, raising the low wages of the agricultural workers there. The farmers (including IPP stalwarts the Kettle family) took the opportunity of the lockout to dismiss any worker who belonged the the ITGWU.

The article concerns a riot in Finglas village where a crowd a attempted to attack a 'scab' in a local pub and was fired on by the police. A 17 year old boy was shot in the back and badly injured. The police were cleared of all wrong-doing.
Thanks John, I never knew that. I'm amazed my father and mother never mentioned it as they were from the old Finglas.

emulator

Great OP and a great article too. Very interesting reading....

If we're not careful though, we'll be heading down that road again I'm afraid.

Seanie Lemass

Tom Kettle was killed in WWI was he not? Land around Finglas was very good and there were some large farms, mostly owned by Protestants like the Craigies who are commemorated by a dreadful apartment block on the Finglas Road where the old dairy - owned by them I think - used to be.

There was another village close to Finglas called Cardiffsbridge, beside the old bridge over the Tolka from Cabra. It was on the ancient road from Tara so must have been settlement since the pre-Conquest times although it was named after a local settler Kerdiff. The Jolly Toper used to be in Cardiffsbridge until they moved the license to the village. Local big house was owned by the Longford-Rathbourne family, a scion of who was Basil Rathbourne the actor who played Sherlock Holmes! IRA burnt their house at Scribblestown in Civil War.

sauntersplash

Kinda paints a different picture of the noble lockout doesn't it, where honourable peasants were inhumanely crushed by cruel capitalist monsters.

More like, gangs of ignorant thugs run amok attempting murder on innocent individuals and destroying the private property of their peers.

bonkers

Kinda paints a different picture of the noble lockout doesn't it, where honourable peasants were inhumanely crushed by cruel capitalist monsters.

More like, gangs of ignorant thugs run amok attempting murder on innocent individuals and private property.
I know you're trolling as usual but there were scabs in that pub. I wonder how you'd feel if you were one of the "ignorant thugs" at the time.

bonkers

Yep. Finglas man! Their house was out near the White House I think.
Finglas was an amazing place at the time. I remember my mother telling me that the parish priest used to call out the names and the amounts they contributed at mass each week. He'd start off with the most at the top of his voice and as he went down the list his voice would get lower and lower. It's certainly changed over the years. I'm raging I never got to ask them about this. Maybe it was something they didn't want to talk about. I live in a village in Meath now and there was a major scandal a good few years ago and it's never mentioned.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies