• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Fire Brigade Sent To Help Quell Damage Of Belfast Blitz - A Breach of Nutrality?

General Urko

I would se it as a humanitarian gesture purely! Indeed as one of the firemen, each of whom volunteered said, when we were helping the good people of Belfast, nobody up there asked any of us if we were a catholic/protestant! Very much the correct decision at the time!

Didimus

I would se it as a humanitarian gesture purely! Indeed as one of the firemen, each of whom volunteered said, when we were helping the good people of Belfast, nobody up there asked any of us if we were a catholic/protestant! Very much the correct decision at the time!
Nutrality is breached here all the time.

The Herren

I would se it as a humanitarian gesture purely! Indeed as one of the firemen, each of whom volunteered said, when we were helping the good people of Belfast, nobody up there asked any of us if we were a catholic/protestant! Very much the correct decision at the time![/QUOte

No because at at time we claimed jurisdiction over the North , we just did'nt have the balls to do anything about it.

firefly123

It's one of the more mature decisions this state made. As a Dublin firefighter I can say we are very proud of what our organisation did then.

cabledude

ESB crews frequently go to NI and England to help out with networks after major weather events. Same thing. No issue here.

slippy wicket

It was an act of humanity and compassion. Unlike the states so called neutrality, which should be consigned to the dustbin of history forthwith

firefly123

ESB crews frequently go to NI and England to help out with networks after major weather events. Same thing. No issue here.
Except the weather is unlikely to attack you afterwards for helping those it rained on. Accidentally of course!

General Urko

It's one of the more mature decisions this state made. As a Dublin firefighter I can say we are very proud of what our organisation did then.
We are genuinely proud of the efforts at that time and now! You are the real unheralded public service champions!

Hitch 22

Firefighters don't have borders.
They want to save lives and save property.

Nemesiscorporation

This was one of the few mature decisions made by anyone in power in Ireland.

It should be seen as how we should be doing things.

Also helping out a neighbour in need with humanitarian aid is actually not a breach of neutrality.

cricket

I have never known of anybody who disapproved of that decision.

Kev408

Although the catalyst for the events was a bombing this was an extremely rare good news story at the time with regard to relations between north and south. I avoid history threads these days but I will say if anyone wants a really good account of what happened in those heady days read Tom Geraghty & Trevor Whitehead's 'The Dublin Fire Brigade: A history of the brigade, the fires & the emergencies.' Pages 225-232 cover the request from NI For assistance, the decision within a half hour by Dev to give all the help we can, the thank yous from the NI Minister for Public Security and Lord Mayor of Belfast McCullagh.

That book is one of my favourite reads.