• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The Foster care Windfall!

Neutron

Just watching the Frontline on RTE One and it was mentioned by John Waters and agreed by the Childrens minister Frances Fitzgerald that the payments to people who foster children are as follows.

€325 per week for a child upto 12.
€359 per week for a child from 12 to 18.

That is €16,900 for a child upto 12 per year.
Or for a child 12-18 €18,668 per year.

To give it some context a person on unemployment benefit receives €9776 per year.

Please could someone justify for me why a person who is a foster carer receives around 17 grand per year for taking a child in when a person trying to find work receives just 10 grand.

Surely this is madness, whilst we need foster carers I understood people did this out of kindness of their heart and for the love of children but clearly many are doing it for financial gain.

This government want to cut child benefit effecting millions of children but yet have no problem paying out these kind of parents for foster children.

To put this into perspective.

Foster Parent receives 19 Grand per year to look after 17 year old.

Unemployed couple with 1 child receive around 19 grand

Unemployed 17 year old receives 5 grand.

Last edited:

ShoutingIsLeadership

How much would bed and board in a hotel cost for a week?

How much to accommodate a prisoner per week?

Seems a decent deal to me.

Neutron

How much would bed and board in a hotel cost for a week?

How much to accommodate a prisoner per week?

Seems a decent deal to me.
Perhaps then all families with kids should get this kind of payment?

Top up child benefit to the same levels?

Ruff says Flaherty

Controversial. However, I would be aware of people who have done it for the money.

Ruff says Flaherty

That's an interesting point. Why should people receive more money for rearing a foster child than their own?

ruserious

Obviously every child is circumstantial, some have bigger needs, but to have a general payment like that in these times is madness.

Sync

That's an interesting point. Why should people receive more money for rearing a foster child than their own?
Jesus Christ because they're providing a bloody service to the state. We need foster homes. People need to be compensated for that service, as people are for any other service they provide. The figure should be dependent on supply of good, willing homes, but to not even understand the fact that an amount is going to be paid is breathtaking.

ruserious

Jesus Christ because they're providing a bloody service to the state. We need foster homes. People need to be compensated for that service, as people are for any other service they provide. The figure should be dependent on supply of good, willing homes, but to not even understand the fact that an amount is going to be paid is breathtaking.
He was saying why should a foster child allow foster parents more money than what they would get for child benefit.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Foster parents provide a service. If you consider that it's a 168 hour week, they are paid a minimal rate.

Parenting one's own children is not a service.

Franzoni

And are carers to the elderly also not providing a similar service....? and yet we see they are under attack.....

Neutron

So we should dangle a carrot to get foster parents is that what your saying?

If people want to foster a child they should do it out of love for a child not for financial gain.
How is it justified that a person who fosters a child gets around 17 grand per year and yet a parent raising their own child only gets around €1,800 per year?

What is the 17 grand payment actually for?

An unemployed person only gets just under 10 grand to live on and yet a foster carer gets 17 grand!

Im sorry but their is no way to dress this up, perhaps all the unemployed should become foster carers and get an extra 7 grand per year!

Sync

He was saying why should a foster child allow foster parents more money than what they would get for child benefit.
They're providing a bloody service to the state.
Your failure to understand this is akin to not understanding why a taxi costs more than the price of petrol.

Neutron

Foster parents provide a service. If you consider that it's a 168 hour week, they are paid a minimal rate.

Its exactly the same.

A foster carer should only be fostering children out of love and not financial gain.

Yes they should receive some kind of payment but are you seriously telling us that they deserve to get more than an unemployed couple with a child?

ruserious

That's a fair point but I always looked at fostering as a means of doing something for the good and not necessarily a service though I concede, they can be overlapped.

Mitsui2

Its exactly the same.

A foster carer should only be fostering children out of love and not financial gain.

Yes they should receive some kind of payment but are you seriously telling us that they deserve to get more than an unemployed couple with a child?
Honest to god, Neutron, I'm starting to wonder if there's anyone at all you don't resent!

ruserious

Your failure to understand this is akin to not understanding why a taxi costs more than the price of petrol.
Looking it through the lens of a service, then yes you have a point. I always looked at it as a way of doing good. I have no problem getting compensated for costs but when you make it a business, then are the interests of the child number one priority?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Its exactly the same.

Yes I am.

How much does it cost to leave a dog in kennels for a week?

Neutron

Honest to god, Neutron, I'm starting to wonder if there's anyone at all you don't resent!
Justify to me why a foster carer should receive 19 grand per year for a 17 year and yet a 17 year old unemployed person only receives € 5,200.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies