• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The Four Provinces of Ireland.

The Field Marshal

Outside the rarified atmosphere of GAA and Rugby does the nomenclature for the four Irish provinces [Ulster, Leinster, Connaught and Munster] now carry much significance?

I recall a time when it did and you had the famous ballad of the Four Green Fields.

Some of the Gaelic myths and celtic legends make much reference to this fourfold partition of the island.

It is certainly politically problematic in relation to Ulster which falls under the jurisdiction of two different countries.

Sinn Fein also make a lot of traction using the Four Province symbolism.

No doubt the fourfold division is indeed very ancient but nowadays does anybody really talk about the men of Ulster and the men of Munster?

Irelands new highway motorway sytem and fast efficient communications I feel are making this fourfold division more and more anachronistic as time goes by.

On the other hand I often think it might be useful if there were only four local authorities to administer the country because that is all it really needs.

What do other posters think?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Provinces_of_Ireland

Ireniall

Outside the rarified atmosphere of GAA and Rugby does the nomenclature for the four Irish provinces [Ulster, Leinster, Connaught and Munster] now carry much significance?

I recall a time when it did and you had the famous ballad of the Four Green Fields.

Some of the Gaelic myths and celtic legends make much reference to this fourfold partition of the island.

It is certainly politically problematic in relation to Ulster which falls under the jurisdiction of two different countries.

No doubt the fourfold division is indeed very ancient but nowadays does anybody really talk about the men of Ulster and the men of Munster?

Irelands new highway motorway sytem and fast efficient communications I feel are making this fourfold division more and more anachronistic as time goes by.

On the other hand I often think it might be useful if there were only four local authorities to administer the country because that is all it really needs.

I love it-and bring back Meath and we can have six-Ulster, Former Yugoslav Republic of Norn Iron, Leinster, Connacht, Munster and Cork-eh seven -I mean seven of course!

The Field Marshal

I love it-and bring back Meath and we can have six-Ulster, Former Yugoslav Republic of Norn Iron, Leinster, Connacht, Munster and Cork-eh seven -I mean seven of course!
It used to be five divisions with meath having its very own empire!

The Irish word for a province is cuige which means a fifth.

I really can not understand why Clare is not part of Connacht as the natural boundary of the River Shannon would indicate that it should be so.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account

Weren't there 5 before da Brits turned up?

The Field Marshal

I'd like to know more about how these provinces were demarcated.
The origins of these provinces (loosely federated kingdoms with somewhat flexible boundaries), of which there were five before the Norman invasion, can be traced to the over-riding influence exerted in their respective territories by the great Irish dynastic families of Uí Néill/O'Neill (Ulster), Uí Máeilsheáchlainn/O'Melaghlin (Mide), Uí Briain/O'Brien (Munster), Uí Conchobhair/O'Conor (Connacht) and Mac Murchadha-Caomhánach/MacMurrough-Kavanagh (Leinster)

The provinces were supplanted by the present system of counties after the Norman invasion. During the Tudor conquest, and for about a century after, provincial Presidencies existed in Connacht and Munster, serving a primarily military role.

I think there could be something for having a President of each Province.

They could add four wings onto Aras on Uactarain and each of them could live there.

Carlos Danger

Website
www.youtube.com

I really can not understand why Clare is not part of Connacht as the natural boundary of the River Shannon would indicate that it should be so.
We don't want them! It was a choice between Leitrim and Clare. It was decided that a buffer between the Heathens of Limerick was necessary for fear of airborne contamination.

purpledon

I would have though that NI, followed by the IRFU and the GAA made the most traction from the provinces.

purpledon

Clare used to be in Connacht but Connacht gave it back to Munster.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com

we do have the regional assemblies

though dividing the country into river bed basins distrcits would make more sense http://eastcfram.irish-surge-forecast.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/CatchmenrtMap.jpg

between the bridges

The Field Marshal

I would have though that NI, followed by the IRFU and the GAA made the most traction from the provinces.
In sport yes.
But in politics Sinn Fein IMSMR once had the idea of a Four Provinces parliament meeting in Athlone, the centre of Ireland.

No doubt but now there are far too many county borders for a small island and the idea of regions based on this ancient division may have more merit.

The Field Marshal

GDPR

we do have the regional assemblies

though dividing the country into river bed basins distrcits would make more sense http://eastcfram.irish-surge-forecast.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/CatchmenrtMap.jpg
NIs new supercouncils were drawn up along their current geographic lines for a range of reasons, none of them especially practical, but the actual provision of services runs on river basin districts. Thats why your binmen for example may come from the adjoining council - creating some confusion if you are not familiar with the "real system" as opposed to the paper one :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies