The Fourth Year of the Trump Presidency

Splodge

midlander12

As somebody said, "If you stand in front of a mirror and repeat Susan Collins' name three times she may or may not appear concerned.
Hopefully November will see the back of her. The biggest joke of the last 4 years has been the so-called 'moderate' GOPers. Fascist enablers, the lot of them.

Jack Walsh

At face value you might be inclined to applaud Barr
But most likely all that is happening here is Barr showboating
Publicly winking at Trump
"Look, I will do everything you want, but ffs stop making it look so obvious"

Nonetheless, this is still an historically incredible moment
The Attorney General of the United States going on live TV to beg the President to stop interfering with his work

If however Barr is being genuine "that his job is being made impossible by Trump's tweets" he should resign immediately
How can an AG not resign after saying such a thing?
That is the litmus test to see whether Barr and Trump concocted a sham interview to try to make Barr look impartial

Last edited:

owedtojoy

At face value you might be inclined to applaud Barr
But all that is happening here is Barr showboating
Publicly winking at Trump
"Look, I will do everything you want, but ffs stop making it look so obvious"

Nonetheless, this is still an historically incredible moment
The Attorney General of the United States going on live TV to beg the President to stop interfering with his work
That is the general view.

Barr is giving Trump a public stage-whisper, wanting to be overheard "If you want me to be your hatchet man, Mr President, then STFU and let me get on with it. You are just making it hard".

He is hoping that saying it publicly will take some of the heat off him, and recover his credibility.

If the man had any sense of ethics, or integrity, he would have followed the four prosecutors and resigned.

It just show how low standards have fallen in the Banana-Republicans. Even a racist oaf like Jeff Sessions would have resigned. Barr is a cheap fixer, a bagman, Trump's new Michael Cohen.

Jack Walsh

That is the general view.

Barr is giving Trump a public stage-whisper, wanting to be overheard "If you want me to be your hatchet man, Mr President, then STFU and let me get on with it. You are just making it hard".

He is hoping that saying it publicly will take some of the heat off him, and recover his credibility.

If the man had any sense of ethics, or integrity, he would have followed the four prosecutors and resigned.

It just show how low standards have fallen in the Banana-Republicans. Even a racist oaf like Jeff Sessions would have resigned. Barr is a cheap fixer, a bagman, Trump's new Michael Cohen.

Yes, Barr's credibility is now ****ed
If he doesn't resign after what he just said, no one will believe that he was doing anything other than a concocted sham interview

The Inspector General

I honestly think America is finished. We’re witnessing the end of a once great nation.
No. I believe America will recover. I just had dinner with a friend from the US, a staunch Republican, and he firmly believes the Turd will be voted out next November.
If he makes it that far.

owedtojoy

Yes, Barr's credibility is now ****ed
If he doesn't resign after what he just said, no one will believe that he was doing anything other than a concocted sham interview
I am skeptical. I think he will continue on as Trump's bagman.

In another part of the field, the New York Bar Association have written a letter to Barr, and Congressional Republicans.

We write to express our deep concerns about the impartial administration of justice in connection with the prosecution of Roger Stone in federal court in Washington, D.C., and to call for immediate investigations by Congress and by the Department of Justice Office of the Inspector General. Recent actions by the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the District of Columbia, a component of the United States Department of Justice, raise serious questions about whether the Department of Justice is making prosecutorial decisions based not on neutral principles but in order to protect President Trump’s supporters and friends.

Amazing how many of us said this interference in the Justice system was inevitable, and Trumpanistas said it would never happen? Now that it has happened, they are in denial, or defending Trump.

Volatire

President Trumps approval rating has been increasing not decreasing.

_olnpl8q6kaniutudvacvw.png

The opposite of the story peddled by deluded lefties.

Dame_Enda

I think Trump should listen to Barr, who has clearly been a loyal ally of the President. There is a danger of Trump ending up in Haughey-like territory of alienating too many former allies. There are no men in grey suits in the GOP but he will need allies to get re-elected.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I think Trump should listen to Barr, who has clearly been a loyal ally of the President. There is a danger of Trump ending up in Haughey-like territory of alienating too many former allies. There are no men in grey suits in the GOP but he will need allies to get re-elected.

And you see no problem with him having been a loyal ally of the President, rather than having been loyal to the constitution and the country?

Dame_Enda

And you see no problem with him having been a loyal ally of the President, rather than having been loyal to the constitution and the country?
There was no Justice Dept when the Constitution was invented, and furthermore, it is not mentioned in the US Constitution. So the president can do what he likes with the DOJ provided he complies with the Constitution.

silverharp

it ought not be normal procedures to put your finger on the scale as it were 99% of the time, it doesn't mean that in 1% one shouldn't.

Jack Walsh

it ought not be normal procedures to put your finger on the scale as it were 99% of the time, it doesn't mean that in 1% one shouldn't.
"the President will allow 99% of legal cases proceed through the courts but must be allowed intervene and quash in some instances"
You do realise this is in fact pure fascism

Most Trump supporters have no problem with fascism, they won't allow you call it that, but what you/they are happy to allow Trump do is unquestionably fascism
The three year slide to open acceptance and even embrace of it by Trump supporters is nearly complete

What next ?
"The tens of millions of people who do not support Trump should be allowed go about their business, but he must be allowed deal with the top 1%"?

Jack Walsh

Dame's and silverharp's posts above are predictable yet frightening
They represent a small sample of your average Trump supporter and their open acceptance to what is unquestionably fascism (The AG and DOJ must loyally serve the President" and "Trump must be allowed quash legal cases") is clear to see

Trump's base is a cult, and if the cult leader says fascism, then so be it, fascism it is

owedtojoy

A "loyal ally"?

Sounds like Don Vito Corleone and his Capos, which of course it resembles exactly.

News for Banana-Republicans, the prime job of Attorney General is to oversee the US Justice System, which means submitting to Congressional scrutiny, and not to be anyone's "loyal ally". Barr took an oath to the Constitution, not to Trump. And he is not to be anyone's bagman or personal lawyer.

Jeff Sessions was a racist git, but he did not regard his prime job as covering Trump's ass. So he got fired.

owedtojoy

Dame's and silverharp's posts above are predictable yet frightening
They represent a small sample of your average Trump supporter and their open acceptance to what is unquestionably fascism (The AG and DOJ must loyally serve the President" and "Trump must be allowed quash legal cases") is clear to see

Trump's base is a cult, and if the cult leader says fascism, then so be it, fascism it is
That is not a Republic, it is an Absolute Monarchy, where the will of the Sovereign is law. A Republic is supposed to be a "Republic of Laws, that apply to everyone".

When the Founding Fathers got rid of King George III, did the ever imagine that over two centuries later, some Banana-Republicans would be crowning King Donald I?

(Actually, they did fear the possibility - that is why Impeachment is in the Constitution. But Moscow Mitch and his cohorts drove a horse and carriage right through it.)

Jack Walsh

That is not a Republic, it is an Absolute Monarchy, where the will of the Sovereign is law. A Republic is supposed to be a "Republic of Laws, that apply to everyone".

When the Founding Fathers got rid of King George III, did the ever imagine that over two centuries later, some Banana-Republicans would be crowning King Donald I?

(Actually, they did fear the possibility - that is why Impeachment is in the Constitution. But Moscow Mitch and his cohorts drove a horse and carriage right through it.)
No you are wrong, Presidents (well ones whose names are Trump) have total power, including the power to intervene and quash legal cases.
Alan Dershowitz says it's all in the Constitution if you look hard enough for it
In the way if you look hard enough at a big tree stump you will see the Virgin Mary
"It's there, I tell you, it's there, I can see it"

New Threads

Most Replies