The Front National's thorny relationship with French Protestants

Wascurito

Muslims aren't the only religious minority in France who feel a bit queasy about the Front National (FN). The party has close ties to Catholicism, indeed, the most conservative forms of thereof and isn't hesitant about demonstrating this at times.

In the last few days, in an interview on TF1, Marine Le Pen was asked to name someone from the world of politics that was an inspiration for her. Surprisingly, she reached back to the 17th century and named Cardinal Richelieu, a controversial figure who probably represents to French Protestants what Cromwell does to Irish Catholics; he slaughtered them in large numbers. When the interviewer raises this point with Le Pen, she replies "What you want? Perhaps Protestants had demands at that time that went against the nation."

Cue outrage from social media and the Fédération Protestante de France but Le Pen was defiant saying, "I just referred back to how the Protestants, with the help of England, had sought to create a State within the State. [...] I have nothing against the Protestants. We must still accept that we can make historical references in our country, or we're erasing the history of France."

It doesn't end there. In July 2015, Marion Maréchal-Le Pen equated the Protestant Reformation with Saracen invasions and the Nazi occupation of France. Le Pen the younger did subsequently apologize for the offence caused but the damage had been done.

Religious leaders in France usually stay clear of political matters but in January this year, François Clavairoly head of the Fédération Protestante de France said it would be a "shame" for France if the FN won the presidency. No doubt, he's been feeling a little more at ease since Sunday night.

Last edited:

GDPR

The thing is that Hugenots were like the Covenanters of the so-called Second Scottish Referendum and ISIL in being today dangerous iconoclastic vandals with a very violent streak. A lot of Hugenots settled in Ulster and if you were to examine the blood in the veins of Dissos and Fleggers currently in prison there you would I am certain find a far higher degree of Hugenot ancestry than you would among the general population of Northern Ireland. So let us get some perspective on all this- remembering all the priceless artistic heritage of these Isles that was destroyed by Protestantism. I will do also say that I absolutely adore the writings of Sheridan Le Fanu and Charles Maturin.

Wascurito

The thing is that Hugenots were like the Covenanters of the so-called Second Scottish Referendum and ISIL in being today dangerous iconoclastic vandals with a very violent streak. A lot of Hugenots settled in Ulster and if you were to examine the blood in the veins of Dissos and Fleggers currently in prison there you would I am certain find a far higher degree of Hugenot ancestry than you would among the general population of Northern Ireland. So let us get some perspective on all this- remembering all the priceless artistic heritage of these Isles that was destroyed by Protestantism. I will do also say that I absolutely adore the writings of Sheridan Le Fanu and Charles Maturin.
It's almost as if you're saying that they deserved to be slaughtered by Richelieu et al. I used to have a family of Huguenot descent as neighbours - albeit ones that had converted to Catholicism centuries ago. They were normal, peaceful people with no obvious tendencies towards violence.

Wascurito

I don't Marine will be cutting in front of you in the Communion line at Mass anytime soon.

"In recent years she has shifted to the left on issues such as abortion and gay marriage, while also chasing the gay vote"

Her niece Marion Le Pen is a Catholic Conservative.

https://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2017/04/marion-le-pen-undermining-aunts-campaign/#
I know one gay guy who wrote an article for the LGBT community magazine, GCN saying that he supported Le Pen.

He got ROASTED on social media.

GDPR

It's almost as if you're saying that they deserved to be slaughtered by Richelieu et al. I used to have a family of Huguenot descent as neighbours - albeit ones that had converted to Catholicism centuries ago. They were normal, peaceful people with no obvious tendencies towards violence.
They were famous for playing foot ball with the decapitated heads of those they had killed (the Hugenots of old that is). I have Hugenot blood too, probably significantly more than you. All I was pointing out is that we that shouldn't just swallow the "Whig Version of History" but rather try and get some genuine perspective. Over all the Kingdom of France was much more tolerant of Religious dissent than Protestant Kingdoms were.

GDPR

I know one gay guy who wrote an article for the LGBT community magazine, GCN saying that he supported Le Pen.

He got ROASTED on social media.
Florian Philippot her closest advisor is homosexual (this admittedly is controversial in some sections of the Party). Blokes'Bloke and Dame Enda here have said that they would vote for her on the P.ie poll. There seems to be a disconnect between normal people who happen to have homosexual tastes and professional homosexuals on the issue of the Front National.

GDPR

It's good to see a politician that puts the nation first and political correctness second.

Wascurito

They were famous for playing foot ball with the decapitated heads of those they had killed (the Hugenots of old that is). I have Hugenot blood too, probably significantly more than you. All I was pointing out is that we that shouldn't just swallow the "Whig Version of History" but rather try and get some genuine perspective. Over all the Kingdom of France was much more tolerant of Religious dissent than Protestant Kingdoms were.
But the Huguenots were not genetically distinct from their Catholic compatriots so whence this alleged congenital thirst for violence?

GDPR

But the Huguenots were not genetically distinct from their Catholic compatriots so whence this alleged congenital thirst for violence?
Probably some strange combination of Celtic and Roman, with a bit of Germanic thrown in.

Wascurito

Florian Philippot her closest advisor is homosexual (this admittedly is controversial in some sections of the Party). Blokes'Bloke and Dame Enda here have said that they would vote for her on the P.ie poll. There seems to be a disconnect between normal people who happen to have homosexual tastes and professional homosexuals on the issue of the Front National.
There's no doubt that there's some in the LGBT community who have gravitated towards the European far-right. Why that is is a question worthy of a thousand theses. I suppose that they look upon their recently gained rights and see the growing Muslim population as a huge threat to them.

GDPR

Because out of the French population those with strongest tendencies towards violence would have been drawn to the Hugenots.

I already praised the Hugenot contribution to Ireland in terms of literature; what more do you want?

GDPR

There's no doubt that there's some in the LGBT community who have gravitated towards the European far-right. Why that is is a question worthy of a thousand theses. I suppose that they look upon their recently gained rights and see the growing Muslim population as a huge threat to them.
Homosexuals have always been attracted to Far Right extremism; Islamic Radicalism wasn't an issue in Germany when the homosexuals of the SA were going around battering people now was it? I wouldn't consider the Front National to be Far Right extremists though.

statsman

[video=youtube;If3SXJeZzMQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If3SXJeZzMQ[/video]

Wascurito

Because out of the French population those with strongest tendencies towards violence would have been drawn to the Hugenots.

I already praised the Hugenot contribution to Ireland in terms of literature; what more do you want?
Actually, I'd love a discussion about the relationship today between the Front National and the Protestant minority in France.

Thank you for asking.

GDPR

Actually, I'd love a discussion about the relationship today between the Front National and the Protestant minority in France.

Thank you for asking.
Well something that also has to be remembered was that French Protestants played a massive role in the French Revolution and not a few of them to this are very involved in Le Grande Orient Lodge. Well Marine Le Pen has made nods in the direction of France's Republican heritage very many people in the Front National would see "Le Grande Revolution" as an absolute disaster.

former wesleyan

Care to name a Catholic country that doesn't have a problem with catholics ?

New Threads

Most Replies