The Frontline (04/10/2010): Finances and Fares

nicht besonders

Dan Boyle also said something about "options being presented" after the budget when asked about a general election now rather than then...a bit of a mumble, need to check on RTE player. Anyone catch it?
I heard him say something like that, but what he actually meant by it is anyone's guess; he probably just meant people will have their say on the budget after its delivered etc...

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
I don't know, The Irish Times had an article on Saturday, there was quite a few on 100k plus!
"Quite a few"?! 1.5%? 1%? 2%? You seem to think it's what's causing the problem, I presume you're basing that on facts..?

Private sector pensions are nothing to do with public sector pensions.
If the argument is being made that the pensions PS workers get are unecesarily generous compared to the private sector, it's impossible to make that comparison without looking at both. People at the very top of the private sector actually get a lot more than their counterparts in the public sector.

If I compared the pension of a private sector CEO who managed a budget of 20 million with a PS worker who managed a small office, you'd accuse me of making unfair comparisons, but on this site people compare the pensions of PS Sec-Gens managing budgets of billions of euros, with those of private sector workers in normal jobs like sales, and think this somehow is like-for-like .

Chrisco

BTW over on TWVB Patrick Honohan just said the government never even considered letting Anglo go and just guaranteeing AIB and BoI.

StopTheRot

Blair Horan is typical run of the mill union leader, they were all great lads when Bertie gave them everything they wanted in partnership agreements they never had to work, negotiate or come up with smart long term plans. Now that we are goosed none of these guys can come up with anything worth implementing except the usual raise taxes so the private sectors suffers further for public sector short term luxuries (we can only pay extra taxes for a while lads), the jobs will dry up eventually. His hair brained idea to raise corporation taxes: does anyone take this seriously? I honestly think these union clowns are spouting this crap because like I said its all they can think of and it gets them off the hook with some of their members, most of which I’m sure can see the sheer stupidity of this idea. Better put the thinking cap back on Blair!

nicht besonders

The Governor of the Central Bank is on VB saying Ireland will have become a higher tax economy, not sure what his union credentials are.

DCon

BTW over on TWVB Patrick Honohan just said the government never even considered letting Anglo go and just guaranteeing AIB and BoI.
of course they didn't. Sean Quinn would not have allowed it

Berchmans

Dan O'Brien:

Dismissive of a property tax
Not even a token mention of a wealth tax
Ditto re: a sliver of an increase in corporation tax
In the absence of above, he expects that hitting pensioners and increasing VAT and excise duties will get the economy out of its present predicament.

Think again, Dan.

Pat Kenny:

Totally dismissive of an audience member's suggestion of asking the Anglo bondholders to take a hit. Regards the notion as not even worthy of discussion.

Think again, Pat.

Dunlin3

McDave

Bloody cyclists don't pay tax. Pah.
Really showed up his prejudices, that guy. Looking for a smaller guy to beat up on. Yeah, let's bate up on cyclists and greenies. I've seen that illegal 'rank' at the side entrance to the Four Courts. It forces cyclists out into lanes of traffic which are themselves swerving to avoid the illegally parked taxis.

Taxi-drivers rarely acquit themselves very well on live telly. I think most people can see through the 'regulation' arguments - most older taxi-drivers would gladly revert to the days of a couple of thousand plates in the city with an 'asset' value of €150-200,000. But that was when they had political clout, and when the punter got the raw deal.

There's an argument for requiring livery and minimum vehicle standards. I doubt this would raise a massive barrier to entry, but it would discourage the most non-committal fly-by-nighters and probably benefit consumers.

hiding behind a poster

Dont fall for that shíte.

You treat the problem, not the symptoms.

No bailout for FF cronies, No SCAMA, No problem.

Burden of Irish debt could yet eclipse that of Greece - The Irish Times - Sat, May 22, 2010
Okay, let's take the banks out of the equation, and the FF cronies, and NAMA. Let's pretend there's no money being spent on any of those. Okay?

Now - there's about €33billion a year coming in, and about €53 billion a year going out, to basically run the place - build state projects, run the public service, pay welfare to people who need it, etc. How to you propose to close that gap?

TonyB

Twitter
technopolitics
Really showed up his prejudices, that guy. Looking for a smaller guy to beat up on. Yeah, let's bate up on cyclists and greenies. I've seen that illegal 'rank' at the side entrance to the Four Courts. It forces cyclists out into lanes of traffic which are themselves swerving to avoid the illegally parked taxis.

Taxi-drivers rarely acquit themselves very well on live telly. I think most people can see through the 'regulation' arguments - most older taxi-drivers would gladly revert to the days of a couple of thousand plates in the city with an 'asset' value of €150-200,000. But that was when they had political clout, and when the punter got the raw deal.

There's an argument for requiring livery and minimum vehicle standards. I doubt this would raise a massive barrier to entry, but it would discourage the most non-committal fly-by-nighters and probably benefit consumers.
About ten years ago taxi drivers hired a pro to lobby on their behalf when they weren't getting their way...one Mr Frank Dunlop...guess that didn't work either :)

gatsbygirl20

Usual postings on this site---grooming issues have fekked the economy. If it's not "beards" which are the problem, it is Blair Horan's "comb over". I thought he made good sense in a moderate, unshrill way. With the exception of his corporation tax point, which few would see as a runner in the present jobless climate, his prediction that some form of taxi increase is on the cards seems sensible and inevitable.

PS workers would pay it too on top of paycuts. So it is not a ditching of responsibility on their part. Of course it is galling that working people have to pay more tax to repair the criminal damage of banks. But those of us who are still working and who are on middle incomes--40 / 50 k--will have to pay for everything eventually

McDave

PS workers would pay it too on top of paycuts. So it is not a ditching of responsibility on their part. Of course it is galling that working people have to pay more tax to repair the criminal damage of banks. But those of us who are still working and who are on middle incomes--40 / 50 k--will have to pay for everything eventually
Taxpayers shouldn't have to pay a single penny towards Anglo and INBS. Any monies disbursed towards either are a betrayal of the public.

However, the deficit in public spending is a result of the government's bubble policies and vesting interest buy-offs. PS pay increases were part of this expenditure bubble. They're not the only problem. We have too many useless quangos and our tax base has been seriously narrowed.

Part of the corrective action of closing the €20 billion gap will include (more) across the board pay cuts (private and public), combined with reductions in pensions, cuts in welfare and extra taxation (e.g. a rate for lower earners, more for higher earners, property and/or water charges, a rise in corporation tax), a sell-off of certain semi-state assets and a moratorium on (some) capital expenditure projects.

I don't know if we need to apply figures of the order of 5 or 15% to eliminate the gap, but eliminate it we must. Prices falls will follow these steps. Austerity will be the order of the day. But Ireland will have a low cost base from which to grow off. And we won't have to go near those damned bond markets.

PUFF DADDY

+1

'I don't feel like I am living in a democracy any more. Fianna Fáil and the Greens have destroyed this country. Out the door with them by November - go away'.
That Dan Boyle was pathetic last night, I mean really pathetic.

Ethan Edwards

I'm a union man, but blair horan is a gob************************e , tax,tax,tax. He supposed to represent low paid civil servants, but is quite clearly in the pockets of management.
+1, his eye is clearly on his next appointment, whatever one FF have promised him.

McDave

That Dan Boyle was pathetic last night, I mean really pathetic.
Yeah, he really looked like the wind was completely out of his sails. All but the most delusional (e.g. Lenihan) govt TDs must know the game is up, especially the Greens. Dead men walking, nervously waiting for the tide of public disgust to finally break.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies