The Frontline (04/10/2010): Finances and Fares

Damien45

So much for your promise Mr Wallace,,, Anyway what another waste of time discussing the taxi business. Not a mention of what a disaster the Taxi 'jobs for the boys' Regulators office is. She refused to come on the programme in case it would be exposed but she should not have worried with the way it was orchestrated.
RTE letting another quango off the hook

McDave

So much for your promise Mr Wallace,,, Anyway what another waste of time discussing the taxi business. Not a mention of what a disaster the Taxi 'jobs for the boys' Regulators office is. She refused to come on the programme in case it would be exposed but she should not have worried with the way it was orchestrated.
RTE letting another quango off the hook
The TR might well be just another useless quango (God knows there's enough of them). But why should she come on the telly to be berated by a bunch of blinkered self-centred gurriers? Just let them hang themselves. As they did last night. Yet again.

McDave

It broke quite some time ago, just have't had a chance to express any disgust yet!
I mean 'break' in a really tangible way. Eggings. Verbal assaults. That kind of relatively peaceful but unpleasant expression. This government has timed out. They have to experience the consequences of hanging on every day.

eamo

The TR might well be just another useless quango (God knows there's enough of them). But why should she come on the telly to be berated by a bunch of blinkered self-centred gurriers? Just let them hang themselves. As they did last night. Yet again.
I mean 'break' in a really tangible way. Eggings. Verbal assaults. That kind of relatively peaceful but unpleasant expression. This government has timed out. They have to experience the consequences of hanging on every day.
I have just watched front line on playback.

Above are two posts by Mc Dave, one posted immediately after the other.
Taxi drivers who give voice to their plight are " blinkered self centered gurriers" acording to his or her first post, yet in his next post he seems to advocates "Egging. verbal assaults. that kind of relatively peaceful but unpleasant expression". Are there two Mc Daves?.

The high rate of suicide amongst taxi drivers was discussed on the program. McDave seems to have watched the program, and yet he has the disgusting insensitivity to say "Just let them hang themselves". . . McDave, whoever you are, FFS man, will you engage your brain before posting, please.

bollox

Because he can be dismissed as not being on cabinet, and act as a lightening rod. And because the rest of them who *are* in cabinet are scared of their lives to face the mob on Frontline (apart from the nice smartly dressed and hair-brylcreamed young man in the back who reluctantly admitted his Fianna Fail membership).

Dan Boyle also said something about "options being presented" after the budget when asked about a general election now rather than then...a bit of a mumble, need to check on RTE player. Anyone catch it?
Dunno was it reluctance more so what relevance was it. Kenny never asked any other member of the audience were they politically affiliated, and then he cuts him off. Perhaps FF HQ will pack out the seats soon!!

Damien45

Taxi drivers who give voice to their plight are " blinkered self centered gurriers" acording to his or her first post, yet in his next post he seems to advocates "Egging. verbal assaults. that kind of relatively peaceful but unpleasant expression". Are there two Mc Daves?.

The high rate of suicide amongst taxi drivers was discussed on the program. McDave seems to have watched the program, and yet he has the disgusting insensitivity to say "Just let them hang themselves". . . McDave, whoever you are, FFS man, will you engage your brain before posting, please.
Mc Dave obviously hasn't got a brain Eamo that's why I wouldn't bother acknowledge his childish post!

McDave

It's always the same old self-serving BS from taxi-drivers, or their sneaking regarders. One of them on Frontline was whining about not being able to build a business and sell it on [FFS, maaaaaaan] - like there's a right in the taxi "economy" to set up a franchise and make a quick million after a few years. Oh for the days when taxi-driving was a restricted practice with a barrier to entry the price of a house. Right Eamo?

And lay off the phoney self-serving emotive nonsense about high suicide rates [not much was really "discussed" on that programme because of the vaguely hostile vibe coming off a certain section of the "audience"]. Some people will stoop to any level to reintroduce "controls" which keep new entrants out and boost incumbent earnings. It's a trick that worked for so many businesses and professions for so long. But the last few are thankfully being weeded out [pharmacists].

Basically Eamo, if there isn't money in driving a taxi find something else to do. Don't think with 14% and rising unemployment there's any desire to reintroduce barriers to competition in business.

As for your illiterate attempt at spin, my meaning was clear: let them hang themselves on air with their transparent self-promotion; not a jibe at real people with real problems as you so snidely inferred. And you ask me to think before I post?

Pah!

eamo

It's always the same old self-serving BS from taxi-drivers, or their sneaking regarders. One of them on Frontline was whining about not being able to build a business and sell it on [FFS, maaaaaaan] - like there's a right in the taxi "economy" to set up a franchise and make a quick million after a few years. Oh for the days when taxi-driving was a restricted practice with a barrier to entry the price of a house. Right Eamo?

And lay off the phoney self-serving emotive nonsense about high suicide rates [not much was really "discussed" on that programme because of the vaguely hostile vibe coming off a certain section of the "audience"]. Some people will stoop to any level to reintroduce "controls" which keep new entrants out and boost incumbent earnings. It's a trick that worked for so many businesses and professions for so long. But the last few are thankfully being weeded out [pharmacists].

Basically Eamo, if there isn't money in driving a taxi find something else to do. Don't think with 14% and rising unemployment there's any desire to reintroduce barriers to competition in business.

As for your illiterate attempt at spin, my meaning was clear: let them hang themselves on air with their transparent self-promotion; not a jibe at real people with real problems as you so snidely inferred. And you ask me to think before I post?

Pah!
Janey Mac McDave, well one thing you make perfectly clear in your rambling reply and that is you are not going to heed my appeal to "engage brain before posting", at least not where taxis are concerned. Maybe if you tried yoga, or deep breathing, or just calming down, your posts on taxis would appear less frantic and hateful. Anyway, heres my reply to you.

Your first paragraph begins with a barely coherent rant before proceeding to a sneer at my posting style (which I try to keep friendly and informal...man.:)) and ends with a strange rhetorical question addressed to me. Nowhere do you address the contradictions in your posts which I pointed out and which started our exchange.
So tell me, if you feel like so doing, if instead of presenting their case on frontline they were to adopt your approved techniques of throwing eggs and "verbal assaults" would you have more or less time for their arguments?.

On to your second paragraph. I have lost a close friend and two relations,(one by hanging) to suicide as have, on the law of averages many p.ie members and even more casual readers of the forum. Maybe you have had similar experience, maybe not, ether way I can tell you that you acted like an unthinking, uncaring buffoon when you posted your "let them hang themselves" jibe about people voicing the problems they face. This is especially true as the high indecent of suicide was discussed on the program. Your attempt to weasel out of responsibility for your post is contemptible.

The message of your third paragraph seems to be: don't organise...don't agitate...don't resist.....don't show solidarity. Many people in Ireland will agree with you, but some of us admire, support, and would like to be counted amongst those who stand up for themselves, their fellow workers their class and others who need help.

Last paragraph (thank God) is back to your suicide jibe, which you here claim was not aimed at "real people with real problems" God almighty man, did you not realise you were watching real people with real problems and real families voicing real concerns or in your mind have you managed to dehumanise taxi drivers to such an extent that they appear unreal to you.

AND FINALLY, I may or may not reply to your presumed reply to this post. If I don't reply it is not meant to be rude and I will read and consider what you have to say. It is just that I may want to draw a line under this exchange, you can have the last post. and you know what.......stay cool man

Last edited:

McDave

On to your second paragraph. I have lost a close friend and two relations,(one by hanging) to suicide as have, on the law of averages many p.ie members and even more casual readers of the forum. Maybe you have had similar experience, maybe not, ether way I can tell you that you acted like an unthinking, uncaring buffoon when you posted your "let them hang themselves" jibe about people voicing the problems they face. This is especially true as the high indecent of suicide was discussed on the program. Your attempt to weasel out of responsibility for your post is contemptible.
Sorry for your troubles eamo. But you were the one who tried to link the issue of suicide to the plight of taxi-drivers, and then attempt to cynically misrepresent what I wrote. AFAIC that's playing on emotions. And I don't buy it. There are plenty of people who have lost their jobs in Ireland. Some manage to get out of the hole, others don't. That attempt to link my comment that taxi-drivers should be let hang themselves on air with their arguments to actual suicide among taxi-drivers is frankly sly and despicable.

Many, if most, people can see through the attempts at special pleading by many taxi-drivers and certain of their representatives. With all respect to the many decent taxi-drivers earning a hard honest living (and having to contend with a lot of BS), many people can also recognise a significant thuggish element behind the more vociferous protestations. This wouldn't have gone unnoticed on Frontline.

Having experienced the downsides of a taxi service dominated by vested interests before liberalisation, I would hazard most people don't buy the poor mouth sales pitch of recent years.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies