The future - Ireland and the World

Paddythai

There are no shortage of threads exponding on the fact that Ireland's economy is in serious difficulty. There are also threads discussing Ireland's many social and moral problems. There are even threads confirming that the World ecnomy is tottering and war on a global scale is a distinct possibility.

Without wishing to dwell on a worse case scenario it is reasonable to presume that we are close to a systemic breakdown of society. This is not the case I want to argue here. What I am intereted to know is what you people see as being the Ireland of the future. Or indeed what type of society Ireland will have in the new World.

Cael

Capitailism is finished. The next step is for people to organise themselves into Soviets based on Direct Democracy and the nationalisation of the land, and then to federate these Soviets into national and international bodies.

eoghanacht

I dunno but we'll probably be back to using horses.

Whether thats for transport or a food source who know's :)

Boreas

If real AI and cheap nuclear fusion are both possible then we may well see the Singularity in the next 20 years. Once that happens all bets are off.

The world will change in ways we can barely imagine.

CerebralCortex

If real AI and cheap nuclear fusion are both possible then we may well see the Singularity in the next 20 years. Once that happens all bets are off.

The world will change in ways we can barely imagine.
This is something I complete agree with and have been aware of for many years. There are many risks involved but if it works out well... ...well there is no real way to predict what society will be like. I personally think its something to strive for and should include the push for friendly super AI so that we don't get squashed like bugs. For info on this see the following blogs and sites:

Singularity Institute for Artificial Intelligence
Eliezer S. Yudkowsky
Accelerating Future
Singularity University - this one is probably the most relevant to the discussion as they're actively trying to promote mass well being through accelerating technological advances. One of the challenges is to "Benefit 1billion people in 10 years" through the application of technology.

Old Mr Grouser

Capitailism is finished. The next step is for people to organise themselves into Soviets based on Direct Democracy and the nationalisation of the land, and then to federate these Soviets into national and international bodies.
I'm not quite clear, Cael.

Are you suggesting:

Stage 1 - 'nationalisation of the land', then Stage 2 - 'internationalise the land' - so that Connacht, for example, could be a homeland for the Roma?

galleyslave

when do the purges start. I love a good purging I do

Paddythai

As expected recent developments in the Financial markets have led to an increase in new threads and posts addressing in detail how the country is in deep sh*t. But detailing the demise of the sinking ship and watching the mayhem unfold is not going to be of much benefit to us for the future.

I think educated people have already concluded that we are in a spiral of debt and things are not going to get better. So, if we know the ship is sinking the question on my mind is waht the fututre holds. How can us, small people survive and our children survive.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies