• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

The future of the Republican Party

GDPR

Probably a need for a separate thread on this (there is one for the Dems) as there is movement in the GOP station - hopeless, chaotic movement. Now, according to this article from Vanity Fair, the GOP has to settle into another routine post-Bannon:

[h=1]WITH BANNON GONE, THE G.O.P. SCRAMBLES FOR AN AGENDA[/h]Their populist bogeyman excommunicated, the MAGA crowd has reverted to its pleasantly nebulous state of making America great again—whatever that means

Will the GOP's agenda be as damaging and pointless as it has been so far?

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The emergence of a particular brand of Republican I find fairly fascinating to be honest. A group of privileged baby-boomers in the main trying to fit their fears over the slow disappearance of the American dream into a philosophy when in fact it is a resentment against somebody- anybody- who strikes them as a possible outlier from the General Electric Mom's Apple Pie ideal of Amurka.

They remind me more and more as the hyperbole rises of the Eugene Terreblanche white south africans. Vaguely conscious that a dream has ended and not able to go back to sleep to find it.

Last edited:

Niall996

Well right now they have the Presidency and are coasting to a second term. So the near to mid future is looking good. The Democrats are in a complete tailspin but will ultimately bounce back. Swings and Roundabouts.

mangaire2

The future of the Republican Party

I thought this thread would be about Sinn Féin,
or even FF.

this is P.ie not P.usa.

mr_anderson

Is this the same republican party that controls the senate, congress and the white house ?

Niall996

You say that like it is a good thing.
It's just the fact. The thread title is 'the future of the GOP' so starting with where they stand currently makes total sense.

owedtojoy

Republicans have never recovered from the "the Bush Plunge".

The Democrat problem is not nearly as bad.

(It's an old chart, but the figures are still pretty accurate).

Trump's popularity among Independents is about 60-40, at the moment hardly enough to get him re-elected. Even among Republicans, Trump has not retained their support to the same extent that Obama did among Democrats.

Bottom line is opportunity for Democrats. Republicans do not have many popular policies right now.

Chart of the Day: Donald Trump Has Lost a Lot of Support Among Republicans – Mother Jones

LookWhoItIs

People like tax cuts - don't underestimate the benefit to Trump with that "success". Also removing the ACA mandate would also be welcome in many parts as crazy as that sounds

owedtojoy

People like tax cuts - don't underestimate the benefit to Trump with that "success". Also removing the ACA mandate would also be welcome in many parts as crazy as that sounds
Corporations and the wealthy like tax cuts - but to a blue collar guy 1% of his wage is not a hell of a lot.

Meanwhile, a lot of Republican elected representatives are not hanging around too see what happens in November 2018 ...
House Republicans are sprinting for the exits ahead of 2018 midterms

GDPR

actually, I never look at the forum,
but when I opened your thread, I had to check which country I was in.
I never call any Irish party of the republican persuasion "the Republican Party" which is the official name of the GOP in the USA. I call "Sinn Fein" "Sinn Fein". Tbh I don't know of any other Irish republican party.

GDPR

Republicans are doing their best to lose their majorities
So many Republicans are retiring from Congress the possibility of the Dems regaining control of both houses increases substantially:

The announced retirements of Republican Senators Bob Corker (Tenn.) and Jeff Flake (Ariz.) — plus Democratic Senator Doug Jones’s stunning upset in Alabama and the emergence of crackpot Republican candidates (e.g., Joe Arpaio and Kelli Ward in Arizona) — have put the Senate majority in play. A tidal wave of retirements in the House, including nine chairmen as of today, increases the chances of a GOP wipe-out.

Could be that some Republicans prefer to be in opposition where they can chant that they can do a better job of governing without any plans to implement

Windowshopper

Bannon didn't control the GOP, he was the chief strategist for the Trump campaign which is a different thing. The GOP is unlikely to collapse there are always people with conservative inclinations and there are always people who want to pay less tax.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies