• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The future of Xtra Vision

RahenyFG

We all know Xtra Vision has been having it's problems in the age of everyone having Sky Movies, downloading, upward rent review only and the recession. It was only 2 years ago that was an interim examiner was appointed to Xtra Vision.
Do you think Xtra Vision has a future? I personally don't not think so in this day with the factors I already mentioned. There was a time when there was an Xtra Vision in nearly every town in Dublin, not the case anymore. Late 1990s, near me there were Xtra Visions in Sutton, Bayside, Clontarf, Raheny and Killester. That was a quite a good number of stores in a rough 3 mile radius. Today out of those stores only Killester still exists with Sutton just closing. Donaghmede has seen a new store there but it does weak businesses as do most Xtra Vision shops. In fairness to Xtra Vision they have expanded beyond just video or DVD rental, they do games, CDs, food and technology like phones and iPods but I don't think it will be enough. Personally I think they should reduce the open hours of Xtra Vision stores say like only open 5-10 on weeknights and open 12-10 on weekends if they stand a chance of remaining in business. The closure of HMV are an example Xtra Vision should watch carefully.

neiphin

i think you start to many frivilous treads
you must be very insecure

Dublin 4

XV up against it alright...

RahenyFG

i think you start to many frivilous treads
you must be very insecure
I knew as soon as I saw the poster replying was Neiphin it would be a smart arse response. Think I'll save myself reading your posts and put you on ignore.

EoinMag

With digital delivery, the model is completely dead.

Certain high street delivery models are completely dead, they just don't know it. They'd be best starting up a lovefilm or netflix type service and killing off the physical side of things totally.

Astral Peaks

RahenyFG?

Can you suggest a business model that XtraVision might adopt that has any chance?

Because I cannot. As Pvt. Frazer would say if he was here:

RahenyFG

Certain high street delivery models are completely dead, they just don't know it. They'd be best starting up a lovefilm or netflix type service and killing off the physical side of things totally.
I also think, as I said in the OP, a good way of survival would be limited hours. I was in the Xtra Vision in Fairview on Wednesday afternoon just gone and the place was dead. The guy working there looked pretty bored.

linny55

dosent exist in Eire mate.:D

RahenyFG

RahenyFG?

Can you suggest a business model that XtraVision might adopt that has any chance?

Because I cannot. As Pvt. Frazer would say if he was here:

Well I'm not someone with business experience but as I said in the OP and to EoinMag limited opening hours would offer a good chance of survival. Maybe they also need to reduce the amount it costs to rent a DVD for a week, cos you might as well buy the DVD with the amount they currently charge you.

neiphin

I knew as soon as I saw the poster replying was Neiphin it would be a smart arse response. Think I'll save myself reading your posts and put you on ignore.
i see you have been posting on p.ie all day again today

gijoe

Having to physically go down to rent/drop off a DVD plus late fees etc is off putting compared to digital download, as long as you have a unlimited broadband package. However lately I have been watching all the latest new releases free on the various websites. Quality is not the mae west but then again its not costing me anything.

Well I'm not someone with business experience but as I said in the OP and to EoinMag limited opening hours would offer a good chance of survival. Maybe they also need to reduce the amount it costs to rent a DVD for a week, cos you might as well buy the DVD with the amount they currently charge you.
That is clearly F*****G evident in your willingness to come on here and publicly thrash a business without having a clue about how it works.

Interista

I'm surprised XtraVision is still around at all. Even if you still want an actual DVD as opposed to a download, these days it's so cheap to buy DVDs that it really doesn't make sense to rent one. I used to rent videos/DVDs on an almost weekly basis at one point, but now I can't remember the last time I've done so.

neiphin

That is clearly F*****G evident in your willingness to come on here and publicly thrash a business without having a clue about how it works.
he was looking for advice the other day about buying a shoebox for in and around 100k
lives at home with the mammy, he was even thinking of going to oz
i reckon myself mammy writes his name on the inside of his geansaí

he was looking for advice the other day about buying a shoebox for in and around 100k
We agree on little but willing to help out on collection for ticket to Oz provided its one way.

westernyelp

Raheny, I'm sure the management and staff will unanimously note your back of the beer mat plan for their livelihoods and futures on this Friday evening.

Johnny Zordan

From their advertising it seems they do alot of mobile phones/ipods/tablets these days, that must have kept them going because i have not heard of anybody renting a film from a shop in years.

ItsEvolution

Why ? let it die, the model is died why prolong it ? progression and technology is good, we should forget about the highstreet and concentrate on having fiber optic all over the country. Its Evolution baby

Bea C

Why are you so aggressive?
Ignore him if you want, he didn't (I presume) send you a private message, asking for your input.
I've spent the day ar$ing around on here too - it's either that or study for upcoming accounting exams.
I dunno where he lives or who with.
But I'm back living at home with only weeks left in my twenties; it's called a recession :)