• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

between the bridges

Do ye get bonus points if ye win the pre match fight?

redneck

Do ye get bonus points if ye win the pre match fight?
Why don't you concentrate on sorting out the Assembly "mess" in the North, instead of coming on here. The future of Stormont is hanging by a thread- but you are slagging the GAA. Typical DUP if you ask me. Waste millions of UK taxpayers money on burning Ash and refusing 50,000 pounds for Irish language teaching!!!

The_SR

The GAA had a right to impose conditions for continued membership. And should reinstate those conditions.
Great idea. While membership and playing numbers are at a 100 year low impose 'conditions' that will ensure a mass exodus to football. Will vigilance committees, rats to the rest of us, be formed to scout social media or hide outside football and rugby grounds spying on people?

between the bridges

Why don't you concentrate on sorting out the Assembly "mess" in the North, instead of coming on here. The future of Stormont is hanging by a thread- but you are slagging the GAA. Typical DUP if you ask me. Waste millions of UK taxpayers money on burning Ash and refusing 50,000 pounds for Irish language teaching!!!
Tis that what ye mean by a black card...

Glenshane4

Great idea.
It is not often that you agree with me. Perhaps, you have matured and now see the light.

People who leave the GAA to play soccer, rugby or any other decadent game should not be allowed to return to the GAA. The big weakness of Rule 27 was that the penalty for playing or attending decadent games was merely suspension - which was often lifted prematurely. The penalty should have been expulsion with no prospect of reinstatement. Going to soccer or rugby should have been a road of no return.

redneck

It is not often that you agree with me. Perhaps, you have matured and now see the light.

People who leave the GAA to play soccer, rugby or any other decadent game should not be allowed to return to the GAA. The big weakness of Rule 27 was that the penalty for playing or attending decadent games was merely suspension - which was often lifted prematurely. The penalty should have been expulsion with no prospect of reinstatement. Going to soccer or rugby should have been a road of no return.
Half of the Irish lads on the Rugby team played GAA. A lot of the Soccer/Football lads also played the games.

amsterdemmetje

yes all sports have a place in helping our Youth. I played GAA and Soccer. I did'nt play Rugby. Rugby is fine but seems to have a problem with "Drink culture" which the others have not. Examples Guinness Pro 12, Heineken Cup (ok it has changed now)
You must not have won a match at any level of GAA if you think there isn't a drink culture in it, whether it be fans or players..

Therightroad

Great idea. While membership and playing numbers are at a 100 year low impose 'conditions' that will ensure a mass exodus to football. Will vigilance committees, rats to the rest of us, be formed to scout social media or hide outside football and rugby grounds spying on people?
You seem to have a serious chip on your Shoulder...Membership at a 100 year low?...most Dublin Clubs cant cope with the numbers turning up to play?? My nephew went to a Prominent South Dublin club for Under 8 Gaelic last year ..there was a 122 there...the club had to cut it at 60 players ....he didnt make the first 60 after a 2 week trial so he luckily enough managed to get into the next closest club...

redneck

You must not have won a match at any level of GAA if you think there isn't a drink culture in it, whether it be fans or players..
The GAA does'nt allow Drinks companies to sponsor their main competition. Neither does the FAI by the way. But Rugby alone among Irish sporting orgs does- Guinness Pro 12, Guinness Autumn Series, Heineken Cup, and so on.

amsterdemmetje

The GAA does'nt allow Drinks companies to sponsor their main competition. Neither does the FAI by the way. But Rugby alone among Irish sporting orgs does- Guinness Pro 12, Guinness Autumn Series, Heineken Cup, and so on.
That doesn't mean theres a bigger drink problem among its fan or player base than that of the GAA now does it?

Supra

Yes but that's different. Rich people drink responsibly.

Round tower

I like Soccer, I played it and have gone to loads of games in Ireland and England. There is no ban on any body playing it in this country.
Officially no but some of the fellas in our GAA club if one of the sons said that they wanted to play soccer they would be throwing out of the house.
Last year we played in a cup final,as part of the final the 2 clubs under 6 - 10 was brought along, giving a coaching before the match and they were mascots for their team. Pat Holmes the then mayo senior joint manager was there as his son was wwith the Westport Utd. emerging talent.

The_SR

Why?

And think of the numbers. That's 90% of your players. And do you still ban people who watch the established games?

The_SR

Emm are you sure? Does a french beer brand not sponsor the hurling cup?

The_SR

You seem to have a serious chip on your Shoulder...Membership at a 100 year low?...most Dublin Clubs cant cope with the numbers turning up to play?? My nephew went to a Prominent South Dublin club for Under 8 Gaelic last year ..there was a 122 there...the club had to cut it at 60 players ....he didnt make the first 60 after a 2 week trial so he luckily enough managed to get into the next closest club...
That's Dublin and that's all sports.

Outside Dublin is the issue.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom