• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

The Gardai: if they treat their own like this what will they do to the public?

Thady Quill

"A RETIRED garda detective has been awarded €85,000 in High Court damages after a judge found he had been subjected to bullying and harassment by his superiors."

Leading Garda awarded €85,000 damages after intimidation and harassment - Courts, National News - Independent.ie

If a serving member can be treated like this what confidence can we have in their treatment of the Plain People? there is no reference to any disciplinary inquiry in the report. No surprise, there!
As a child I, and other kids, stood for ages with a young Guard on traffic duty: we admired him and his job. Not now, not ever. :mad:

firefly123

"A RETIRED garda detective has been awarded €85,000 in High Court damages after a judge found he had been subjected to bullying and harassment by his superiors."

Leading Garda awarded €85,000 damages after intimidation and harassment - Courts, National News - Independent.ie

If a serving member can be treated like this what confidence can we have in their treatment of the Plain People? there is no reference to any disciplinary inquiry in the report. No surprise, there!
As a child I, and other kids, stood for ages with a young Guard on traffic duty: we admired him and his job. Not now, not ever. :mad:
It would be kinda weird if you were an adult and stood for ages with a young guard on traffic duty. :)

Asparagus

Maybe his pension wasn't gold plated enough.
This could be the Gardai's answer to Gay Byrne and the Golden Years Pension.

This Garda might be back as a consultant.

niall78

I knew a young guy who was bullied to death by them. I'm sure the same scenario is repeated in every town in the country.

bsloeboy

I also know of a student Garda that took his own life due to a case of being bullied

corporal punishment

When I was 16, 4 apes spent a good 20 minutes giving me the 3rd degree. I had my motorbike with me and they went over it and myself with a fine tooth comb. At one point, one of them sat on the bike holding the brake lever on, while another one tried pushing it to see if the brakes worked. It seems both I and my bike passed muster because they eventually gave up and dragged their knuckles back to the squad car. I assume they we're bored and chasing actual crims was just too much trouble.

I've been stopped and checked countless times and it's always the same. Quick look at the tax disc, tyres, lights etc. Then a few questions, produce your documents and off you go. This was pure harrassment of a kid by four yobs with nothing better to do.

I have no problem with the gaurds, but there's bad in every organisation, and they're no differant.

firefly123

When I was 16, 4 apes spent a good 20 minutes giving me the 3rd degree. I had my motorbike with me and they went over it and myself with a fine tooth comb. At one point, one of them sat on the bike holding the brake lever on, while another one tried pushing it to see if the brakes worked. It seems both I and my bike passed muster because they eventually gave up and dragged their knuckles back to the squad car. I assume they we're bored and chasing actual crims was just too much trouble.

I have no problem with the gaurds, but there's bad in every organisation, and they're no differant.
Wow. Garda doing their job? What next?

venusian

You need to change the thread title to "The Gardai: if they treat their own like this what are they doing to the public?

corporal punishment

Wow. Garda doing their job? What next?
Hang on, you didn't give me a chance to put in the bit about all the other times I was stopped and checked.
By the way I also have a story about seeing a fireman kicking a kid in the face who was listening to the water running through a fire hose while the FB we're putting out a fire in kennedy park on bonfire night.

Roman Emperor

I've been stopped and checked countless times and it's always the same. Quick look at the tax disc, tyres, lights etc. Then a few questions, produce your documents and off you go. This was pure harrassment of a kid by four yobs with nothing better to do.

I went through much the same thing a few times as a teenager. In my case it was just an ordinary pushbike. Three guards quizzed me for half an hour one night. I think they were "worried" that the bike might have been stolen.

I think the reason for such harassment was a combination of boredom and a desire by the "senior man" to impress his younger colleagues with his policing abilities.

Nowadays,I find that the Garda treat me with much more courtesy and I don't really have any problem with them.Having said that,I am always very cautious in my dealings with the Garda,knowing what they are capable of if they so wish.

corporal punishment

When I mentioned to a gaurd that I knew about seeing a single gaurd checkpoint at 7am on a sunday morning he told me the only reason that guy was out there was either, no one at the station likes him or he doesn't like drinking tea and reading the sunday papers.

southwestkerry

Hang on, you didn't give me a chance to put in the bit about all the other times I was stopped and checked.
By the way I also have a story about seeing a fireman kicking a kid in the face who was listening to the water running through a fire hose while the FB we're putting out a fire in kennedy park on bonfire night.
authority issues?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies