• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

The Government are providing huge tax reliefs for Divorce (€4980 extra for 2 parents on €50K each)

potholedogger

The tax system is providing additional incentives to parents who either don't marry and live apart, or who choose to divorce and live apart.

Two principal benefits arise:

(1) an additional single parent tax relief of €1650 each per year payable to each parent.
(2) Single parents are also subject to a higher threshold for the standard tax rate which is €36,800 as opposed to €32,800 for single people.

Provided that both parents have their children residing with them for some part of the year they can claim these reliefs.

One-parent family tax credits and reliefs

It is grossly unjust that parents who marry or who remain married should have to pay substantially more tax than unmarried or divorced parents.

http://taxcalc.eu/

Last edited:

tigerben

This is one tax break that all "single parents" know about. Will this be corrected in the up coming children's referendum, if the state wants the same rights for children wherther their from a single/ co habitation or married parents?

Half Nelson

Didn't Labour have a big problem with this?

I wonder what happened?

ShoutingIsLeadership

potholedogger (I'm assuming that's a typo by the way, and you aren't engaging in some bizarre s*x acts with holes in the roads), I presume you are aware that where people are not married but they live together, they are entitled to none of the tax reliefs that married couples get, while at the same time often being disqualified from social welfare benefits available to people living alone.

Also, non-married partners cannot transfer tax credits, in a manner married people can.

The joint assessment (or "aggregation") option is usually the most favourable basis of assessment for a married couple or civil partners. This option is automatically given by the tax office when you advise them of your marriage or civil partnership but this does not prevent you from choosing any of the options examined earlier. Under this option, the tax credits and standard rate cut-off point can be allocated between spouses to suit their own circumstances.

If only one spouse/civil partner has taxable income, all tax credits and the standard rate cut-off point will be given to the spouse/civil partner with the income.

If both of you have taxable income, you can decide which of you is to be the assessable spouse/nominated civil partner. You then ask the tax office to allocate the tax credits and standard rate cut-off point between you in whatever way you wish. (The PAYE tax credit, employment expenses and the increase in standard rate cut-off point of €23,800 in 2012 are not transferable).
Taxation of married people and civil partners

potholedogger

Article 41 3. 1° The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the Family is founded, and to protect it against attack

The State does not seem to be Guarding the Institution of Marriage!

ShoutingIsLeadership

Article 41 3. 1° The State pledges itself to guard with special care the institution of Marriage, on which the Family is founded, and to protect it against attack

The State does not seem to be Guarding the Institution of Marriage!
You think people will divorce so they can avail of a tax credit of under 5k pa?

Spanner Island

Do you go dogging in potholes or are you forced to dodge potholes regularly?

bob3367

It is a question of discrimination against parents who choose to marry, or remain married as opposed to parentd who avoid marriage or who get divorced.
I suggest you take a constitutional case then.....

potholedogger

potholedogger (I'm assuming that's a typo by the way, and you aren't engaging in some bizarre s*x acts with holes in the roads), I presume you are aware that where people are not married but they live together, they are entitled to none of the tax reliefs that married couples get, while at the same time often being disqualified from social welfare benefits available to people living alone.

Also, non-married partners cannot transfer tax credits, in a manner married people can.

I dog along with my huge tractor and turn good roads into cracked roads, cracks into potholes, turn small potholes into bigger potholes and connect bigger potholes together.

spoilsport

Twitter
only twits twtt
Doh!! I only got married on the advice of me accountant, now ye are telling me I would have been better off , still livin in sin..

damn it !, damnit it hell !!:shock2: anybody know a cheap divorce lawyer?

PeeMac

So everyone who sets up a family home, whether married or not, are being discriminated against. How is this promoting the family?

potholedogger

So everyone who sets up a family home, whether married or not, are being discriminated against. How is this promoting the family?
Unmarried parents with children can elect to marry or enter civil partnership. They will however pay more tax if they marry and both live together with their children.

Mitsui2

I dog along with my huge tractor and turn good roads into cracked roads, cracks into potholes, turn small potholes into bigger potholes and connect bigger potholes together.
In that case you probably cost us more than the tax reliefs your OP complains about.

statsman

The tax system is providing additional incentives to parents who either don't marry and live apart, or who choose to divorce and live apart.

Two principal benefits arise:

(1) an additional single parent tax relief of €1650 each per year payable to each parent.
(2) Single parents are also subject to a higher threshold for the standard tax rate which is €36,800 as opposed to €32,800 for single people.

Provided that both parents have their children residing with them for some part of the year they can claim these reliefs.

One-parent family tax credits and reliefs

It is grossly unjust that parents who marry or who remain married should have to pay substantially more tax than unmarried or divorced parents.

Irish PRSI PAYE Tax Calculator Ireland budget 2012 Budget 2011 budget 2013 Tax Refund karl grabe taxback
It's all part of an international conspiracy to destroy the last bastion of Western civilization.

I'm all for it myself.

Mitsui2

It's all part of an international conspiracy to destroy the last bastion of Western civilization.

I'm all for it myself.
All for the bastion or all for its destruction?

And, if the latter, does mrs statsman know?

statsman

All for the bastion or all for its destruction?

And, if the latter, does mrs statsman know?
The destruction, of course. I assumed this position once statswoman, to give her her proper title, told me I should.

[Edit: no innuendo where none intended.]

laidback

I believe the rationale for the additional tax credits for separated parents is that they maintain two homes not one.

I'm more concerned about the tax discrimination against married couples where there is one earner. On the same joint income, where that income is made up of two incomes, the two income family pays less tax.

Reasunach

I believe the rationale for the additional tax credits for separated parents is that they maintain two homes not one.

I'm more concerned about the tax discrimination against married couples where there is one earner. On the same joint income, where that income is made up of two incomes, the two income family pays less tax.
The reason the two income family pays less tax, is an effort to balance the cost of childcare.