The government of the 31st Dail - 9 March 2011 to 10 March 2016

Disillusioned democrat

There's enough time passed since the last government to allow a bit of objective reflection and chalk up its successes and failures.

Many here will ascribe the "recovery" directly to this government and others will claim that Enda Kenny's FG government was a pernicious cancer that finished the job FF started.

My own perspective is one of disappointment.

In 2011 I voted FG for the first time ever because they were the only party appearing to make sense in the election and Kenny seemed like a man on a mission. His "Paddy wants to know" interview after the election was music to many ears - my own included.

Here was a government with a huge majority with a mandate to reform the state forever and talking as if they would.

A few months later, when FG pretty much declared the hard times over by breaking their own rules and paying their advisers more than the caps they had set it just sent out the message that it was all "business as usual" in government buildings.

After that it just seemed that each policy and initiative was aimed at a very selective kind of recovery - one where the great and the good of the tiger era were prioritised over the working, tax paying, citizens. Tax went up but services declined, yet bankers survived, developers survived and the legal profession thrived.

Corruption went unpunished - Moriarty gathered dust and the state made a balls of the prosecution of the poster boy of the Celtic Tiger, Sean Fitzpatrick.

The government of the 31st Dail could have changed Ireland for the better, but I think they just really put most peoples' lives on pause with a view to fast forwarding to a time when there was tax payers money to spend again, a bit like Slartibartfast.

ger12

They implemented the policies of the Troika/FF leading to a recovery. I've time for Noonan in this regard.

Labour absolutely failed to protect the vulnerable during this term, that was their job. FG were predictable in this regard. Look at the homeless crisis today, it's scandalous.

I didn't expect the cronyism and corruption to continue. Stupid me. FG/Lab packing of State Boards and luvies to the Judiciary was jaw dropping.

Disgusted still that they appointed the former AG and Labour lacky to the Bench. I'm still wondering what Labour have on Enda.

HUGE opportunity missed to change the culture in politics.

Levellers

Not only did the FG/Lab government stamp on the most vulnerable in society Howlin actually publicly relished doing this.

gleeful

Considering the mood of doom at the time, I think it worked out quite well.

Disillusioned democrat

Not only did the FG/Lab government stamp on the most vulnerable in society Howlin actually publicly relished doing this.
It's easy enough to understand where FG's motivation came from during this term in office, but I have to agree that Labour seemed to suffer a fit of the mind staggers during this period - almost like a group case of Stockholm syndrome where they sided with their captors rather than their supporters.

Labour leadership had been weak and getting weaker and it seemed like the "young Turks" like Rabbette and Gilmore were far more interested in staying in government than the success of that government.

I have to admit I've had to listen to Howlin's "people didn't know how bad it was" speech a few times at various events and each time it gets grander and grander, like Napolean re-fighting Waterloo again and again on Elba...but basically if it was that bad how come we found €500m to bury pointless water meters in the suburbs?

SamsonS

There's enough time passed since the last government to allow a bit of objective reflection and chalk up its successes and failures.

Many here will ascribe the "recovery" directly to this government and others will claim that Enda Kenny's FG government was a pernicious cancer that finished the job FF started.

In 2011 I voted FG for the first time ever because they were the only party appearing to make sense in the election and Kenny seemed like a man on a mission. His "Paddy wants to know" interview after the election was music to many ears - my own included.

Here was a government with a huge majority with a mandate to reform the state forever and talking as if they would.

A few months later, when FG pretty much declared the hard times over by breaking their own rules and paying their advisers more than the caps they had set it just sent out the message that it was all "business as usual" in government buildings.

After that it just seemed that each policy and initiative was aimed at a very selective kind of recovery - one where the great and the good of the tiger era were prioritised over the working, tax paying, citizens. Tax went up but services declined, yet bankers survived, developers survived and the legal profession thrived.

Corruption went unpunished - Moriarty gathered dust and the state made a balls of the prosecution of the poster boy of the Celtic Tiger, Sean Fitzpatrick.

The government of the 31st Dail could have changed Ireland for the better, but I think they just really put most peoples' lives on pause with a view to fast forwarding to a time when there was tax payers money to spend again, a bit like Slartibartfast.
That gov achievements is all about the economy. If you feel they were lucky, or just followed FF plan, or Troika plan , or cause oil was cheap is just an opinion, but its the economic turnoaround in those 5 years which is the main achievement and what that gov will be remembered for.

hammer

Heading towards 20% live register
€25 billion annual deficit
IMF in town
Bond rates 15%+
Mass emigration
High taxes
Bust banks
SMEs collapsing daily
House prices - 60%
100,000+ mortgage arrears
100,000+ utility bill arrears
etc..

No recovery :)

Disillusioned democrat

That gov achievements is all about the economy. If you feel they were lucky, or just followed FF plan, or Troika plan , or cause oil was cheap is just an opinion, but its the economic turnoaround in those 5 years which is the main achievement and what that gov will be remembered for.
That's what this thread is about, so can you share some specific examples of government policies or initiatives that delivered recovery?

It's too easy for the likes of shammer to quote before and after stats, but I've never seen him actually provide line of sight from policy decision to result, just simple credit hogging.

artfoley56

IMF in town
Bond rates 15%+
Mass emigration
High taxes
Bust banks
SMEs collapsing daily
House prices - 60%
etc..

a 34% drop in the number of FG TDs show that the populace saw the recovery for what it was, a return to good times for jonny ronan and his ilk while the joe soaps struggled

hammer

a 34% drop in the number of FG TDs show that the populace saw the recovery for what it was, a return to good times for jonny ronan and his ilk while the joe soaps struggled
Who gives a fu ck ? We all put our shoulders to the wheel. Even Blueshirts struggled with USC etc...

FG balanced the budget from a € 25 billion annual deficit. Of course people were moaning about austerity !!!!

Only the financially astute would vote FG

carlovian

IMF in town
Bond rates 15%+
Mass emigration
High taxes
Bust banks
SMEs collapsing daily
House prices - 60%
etc..

Happy enough with Departments of Health, Housing and Justice ?

automaticforthepeople

The government lasted well into the month of May 2016. To suggest that it ended in March is a tad bit revisionist and carefully suggests that as the Cervical Cancer cover up was getting into full gear there was no political oversight of the civil service.

The reality is of course quite different. There was full political oversight at the department, in fact it may have been a doctor who was on duty right through til May 2016.

Now just as to who it was, his name escapes me! Hmmm!

deepness

Considering whats happening at the moment with Health, Justice and Housing to name 3, maybe now is not the right time to reflect on the previous government and maybe time would be better spent focusing on the current issues....

SamsonS

That's what this thread is about, so can you share some specific examples of government policies or initiatives that delivered recovery?

It's too easy for the likes of shammer to quote before and after stats, but I've never seen him actually provide line of sight from policy decision to result, just simple credit hogging.
A lot this was detailed in threads on economy forum, but the most obvious one is employment strategy, mainly detailed in the various Action Plan for Jobs - not talking so much about the numbers unemployed, cause as we know everything from emigration to activation would impact on that, but measures to increase the numbers of people working.
Govt stuck with these plans even though opposition were saying they weren't working, as numbers employed continued to fall in 2011 and into 2012, but they have recovered spectacularly since then.

What was good about those plans was a lot of joined up thinking - it was setting targets for the IDA and EI and local councils, and making sure that revenue and social welfare policies were not working against the plans. It was setting regional and geographuic targets, when it was obvious Dublin had recovered but the rest of the country lagged behind. It was setting sectoral targets , tourism, pharma, IT .

farnaby

They did what a typical conservative government tries to do - achieve stability and growth while keeping change to an absolute minimum.

No fundamental changes to our economic model (FDI focus, tax ambiguities) or who benefits from it (finance, property developers, top-end lawyers vs domestic start-ups, SMEs etc.).

That govt's legacy is far more "keep the show on the road" than transformational. They be neither feted nor pilloried.

Uganda

IMF in town
Bond rates 15%+
Mass emigration
High taxes
Bust banks
SMEs collapsing daily
House prices - 60%
etc..

It rained a couple of days during the governments term of office as well. Bastards!

GDPR

They turned things around, that's the achievement. More joined up thinking. I think people expected a lot of reforms which did happen to an extent. I happen to think the concept of an Irish Water is a good idea, as in joined up thinking, the way they went about it was ham fisted and symptomatic of where they went wrong. The people then went for more independents in the 2016 and in the main they've been useless.

But beyond a shadow of a doubt, Kenny used every bit of his experience and schmoozing no doubt to put Ireland front and centre re Brexit, on the way out the door he produced brilliance.

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Disillusioned democrat

The government lasted well into the month of May 2016. To suggest that it ended in March is a tad bit revisionist and carefully suggests that as the Cervical Cancer cover up was getting into full gear there was no political oversight of the civil service.

The reality is of course quite different. There was full political oversight at the department, in fact it may have been a doctor who was on duty right through til May 2016.

Now just as to who it was, his name escapes me! Hmmm!
I just got those dates off wikipedia, sorry.

carlovian

As a matter of interest when were you ever happy with the performance of these Departments ?
Well im never happy at all as you know.

So its a relative question.

New Threads

Most Replies