The Government's proposal to update Irish Hate Speech laws

cobhguy

It is shocking that cobhguy, a qualified Irish lawyer apparently, is unable to write plain English.

I have to say that the contributions of other people on this thread have been lucid and helpful. I admire their patience.
Never claimed to be a lawyer. Maybe you find that my arguments are not plain, because I am trying to respond to so many different people on the one thread. Also many of the arguments, that I am responding to are factual wrong, yet I am trying to respond to them all, while trying to highlight, where there wrong. So it is hard for someone to keep track and easy to believe that because the majority are agreeing, that the minority must be wrong.

benroe

Never claimed to be a lawyer. Maybe you find that my arguments are not plain, because I am trying to respond to so many different people on the one thread. Also many of the arguments, that I am responding to are factual wrong, yet I am trying to respond to them all, while trying to highlight, where there wrong. So it is hard for someone to keep track and easy to believe that because the majority are agreeing, that the minority must be wrong.
Odd that there is only one authoritarian lefty left trying to justify restrictions on our free speech, where are your comrades?

Golah veNekhar

Odd that there is only one authoritarian lefty left trying to justify restrictions on our free speech, where are your comrades?
Cobhguy does not identify as Left. From what he has said about his politics I suspect that he is Fianna Fail.

On what can be called cultural and social issues a lot of centrists do seem to have adopted what was considered the high weirdness of North American Maoism of the 1960s and 70s. Is that enough to make them Left though?

Clanrickard

Cobhguy does not identify as Left. From what he has said about his politics I suspect that he is Fianna Fail.

On what can be called cultural and social issues a lot of centrists do seem to have adopted what was considered the high weirdness of North American Maoism of the 1960s and 70s. Is that enough to make them Left though?
Spoofer 👆

benroe

There's only one demographic trying to restrict free speech, and thats the progressive left.

Golah veNekhar

cobhguy

That officer was wrong in that situation and what he said might of been unlawful.

From their own guidelines,

"it is important that officers do not overreact to non-crime incidents. To do so would leave the police service vulnerable to civil legal action or criticism in the media and this could undermine community confidence in policing "
Looks like I was right,

Dame_Enda

Kevin Parlon

Twitter
Deiscirt
Looks like I was right,

To do so would leave the police service vulnerable to civil legal action or criticism in the media and this could undermine community confidence in policing
They are the worst reasons not to have done this. They shouldn't have investigated him because they shouldn't have investigated him.

Orbit v2

Here's a good example of why this stuff is so dangerous. Regina Doherty has lost her seat - emotions are raw obviously, but look at how she conflates stuff that is nasty with stuff that is actually legitimate. Obviously, being called the c world is off the scale in terms of normal acceptable behavior (though I don't think it should be illegal per-se), but ...

I've been witness to a number of emails ... from people who would have been pro-life gleefully telling me that that's the reason I lost my seat.

"No it's not, there's buckets of reasons why I lost my seat and we won't pinpoint any one of them but for somebody to be so base as to actually put pen to paper in an email and send you their wilful gleeness because of a particular issue, I don't know what the world is coming to, to be honest with you."
Does she think that is hate-speech? It might be wrong, but it's a legitimate opinion to hold. Why would you put it in the same category as being called the C-word?

benroe

Some lady from reality TV committed suicide over the weekend, apparently it's the fault of social media, censorship is the only answer of course.

blinding

Some lady from reality TV committed suicide over the weekend, apparently it's the fault of social media, censorship is the only answer of course.
And nothing to do with that She had tried to Bludgeon her Boyfriend with a bedside lamp while he was asleep. We look forward to the out pouring of grief when a man does something similar. Some People have very strange views of Equality.

Orbit v2

Australia is my new favourite place after this. It's a real demolition job on all aspects of the po-faced,
literally interpreting (when it suits them) culture that has infected the planet.

The complaint in this case was Godwinesque in the sense that any reference at all to Hitler is enough to set some people off. Yet, not even a literal interpretation of the video said what the complainants claimed. As the review board found:
“It is apparent that the video does not liken BP management to Hitler or Nazis in the sense of stating or suggesting that their conduct or behaviour was in some sense comparable in their inhumanity or criminality,” the judgement stated.

“What it does do is to compare, for satirical purposes, the position BP had reached in the enterprise bargaining process as at September 2018 to the situation facing Hitler and the Nazi regime in April 1945.”

It likened the comparison to the idiom that “someone is like Napoleon at Waterloo”.

“This is obviously not to be understood as drawing a comparison between the person and the personality, behaviour, deeds or stature of Napoleon Bonaparte; rather, it is a stock way to say that the person is facing a final, career-ending defeat,” it stated.
Incredible, that this has to be pointed out to (presumably) intelligent and educated people.

benroe

New Threads

Most Replies