The great Handballer Ducksy Walsh rip

SamsonS

Top sportsman. There are only a few sports within the GAA family, and obviously all attention goes on the big two, but Ducksy's records are something else. Great quiz question, which Kilkenny Gaa star has won the most All Irelands!

RIP Ducksy.

Seanie Lemass

It is only GAA game that ever attracted many people outside Irish in the States.

I was amazed to see black fellas playing it, not sure if exactly the same rules, opposite Gaelic Park in the Bronx.

RetiredProvo

It is only GAA game that ever attracted many people outside Irish in the States.

I was amazed to see black fellas playing it, not sure if exactly the same rules, opposite Gaelic Park in the Bronx.
I saw a few guys years ago in Bilbao in the Basque country having a go at playing Handball in a Pelota court. When we asked them if they knew the rules they said saw a guy called Ducksy from Ireland play it on TV. Enough said....

Zapped(CAPITALISMROTS)

Twitter
daxxdrake
One of the very top Irish Athletes of the last century without a doubt..R.I.P.

Fractional Reserve

I played against some yanks they were usually firemen or cops good small alley players

Catalpast

Fractional Reserve

It's my personal opinion but I don't think we will ever see the likes of Ducksy in an alley again , his skill levels and talent were unbelievable , his balance and his power and timing were something to behold ,I feel it won't ever be matched and he wasn't a big guy .

Fractional Reserve

Only 50 & dead....

That is very sad indeed

Don't follow GAA but he seems to have been a great sportsman

I cant see any mention of his passing on the RTE site though...:confused:

RIP to the man anyway
The guy was a legend and an unbelievable athlete , for anyone that played handball this guy was the king .

Roberto Jordan

More or less the same game albeit a casual form - like playing a shortened game of hurling in training I guess.

There are 4 alley locations with multiple walls within 15 or 20 minutes walk of that spot you refer to , the van cortladnt atheltics track, in Kingsbridge. Most of the Bronx is the same as are the other "real" boros.

On the other hand there are decaying long forgotten GAA goal posts in a couple of city parks in what are now exclusively hispanic parts of upper manhattan that date from the interregnum between hells kitchens heyday up to the 50's and the "white flight" to woodlawn and rockland county.

Seanie Lemass

I played against some yanks they were usually firemen or cops good small alley players

As far as I recall - good few years ago now, the black handballers were playing without a side wall? Used to be across the street from Gaelic Park.

Only saw your post now Roberto.

Interesting point regarding the Irish leaving the city. There is reference in Don de Lillo's "Underworld" to Gaelic Park "where the Irish play their football".

I remember a story about a fella who was mugged close to the park on his way to hurling training. when he told his mates they jumped into cars, came across the assailants and bate the sh1te out of them.

NYPD Irish guy later told one of them that the muggers had told them about being beaten up by guys with "giant wooden spoons" :)

Last edited:

Seanie Lemass

Just caught last five minutes of interview with DJ, who was his doubles partner, on radio.

He mentioned a heart attack or a stroke.

Apparently he struggled for a long time with drink as well. Not gossiping, he was quite open about it. A cross many people have to bear.

God rest him.

automaticforthepeople

In decades to come, people will still talk about Ducksy Walsh. There are few sportsmen around at the moment of whom that can be said.

An icon.

Seanie Lemass

In decades to come, people will still talk about Ducksy Walsh. There are few sportsmen around at the moment of whom that can be said.

An icon.
DJ said he was greatest ever Kilkenny sportsperson, and that's from someone who would be a contender for that title himself, and played with others who would be.

High praise indeed.

Betson

Just caught last five minutes of interview with DJ, who was his doubles partner, on radio.

He mentioned a heart attack or a stroke.

Apparently he struggled for a long time with drink as well. Not gossiping, he was quite open about it. A cross many people have to bear.

God rest him.
Heard someone say he had a stroke just after playing in an event last weekend , had been poor all week.

Very sad and a very young age to go.

One of the greats. I assume he will get a minutes silence on Sunday at Croke Park and hopefully some kind of tribute.

Roberto Jordan

As far as I recall - good few years ago now, the black handballers were playing without a side wall? Used to be across the street from Gaelic Park.

Only saw your post now Roberto.

Interesting point regarding the Irish leaving the city. There is reference in Don de Lillo's "Underworld" to Gaelic Park "where the Irish play their football".

I remember a story about a fella who was mugged close to the park on his way to hurling training. when he told his mates they jumped into cars, came across the assailants and bate the sh1te out of them.

NYPD Irish guy later told one of them that the muggers had told them about being beaten up by guys with "giant wooden spoons" :)
Kingsbridge where the Park is was heavily irish until 15 or 20 years ago. Now the bars, that havenet closed, still have irish names but the clientele are hispanic apart from some lonely looking older folks left behind. The church still has irish priests though.
Woodlawn which IS still almost 100% irish is only a few miles as the crow flies across Van Cordtlandt Park. There are similar enclaves in queens , brooklyn and staten island.
However the heavy, concentrated irish presence on Manhattan ebbed away finally in the 90's.....Inwood in northern manhattan....just 20 minutes walk south along broadway from gaelic park , was one of the last to go. Full of cops, teachers, firefighters, barmen , builders etc. Again there are still some older folks and the bars have irish names but it is heavily latin now.

You can trace the movement of irish concentration through the history of new york. Starting way down at the five points where china town now is, then hells kitchen in mid town, now almost gone. The west side/ upper manhattan and brooklyn had their hey day midcentury when the Kitchen was still going. In the 60's and 70's bainbridge ave, queens, woodlawn.

And then in the 80's and 90's towns outside the city & abutting areas ( yonkers etc.) started to emerge. So now yo have places like Pearl River over the Hudson in Rockland county which is full of pale irish kids but is a handy commute for NYPD/NYFD and builders who over the GWB to Manhattan.

there is still a strong "real" irish community , both native and descendant, in the 5 boros. But it is more dispersed and diverse. It is also not the one you tend to see being glad handed by government - as is the case in irish emigrant communities elsewhere in the US and UK I guess also

Fear Rua

Go ndéana Dia trócaire ort a Ducksie, míle buíochas as ucht an méid a thug tú dúinn RIP.

New Threads

Most Replies